Gary Neville

USA SaintsFan

Many are on social media claiming that Gary Neville made a sarcastic comment disrespecting our lights tribute for Markus yesterday. Anyone know what that's about?

Said it looked like a Celine Dion concert... To be fair to him I doubt he had any idea why everyone had their mobile phone lights on.

Said it looked like a Celine Dion concert... To be fair to him I doubt he had any idea why everyone had their mobile phone lights on.

I also think that's probably why the United fans mocked it at the end, and weren't they singing something like "what the fking hell is that?" when we (well, not me) did it?

I never had a clue either. I'm sure he meant no offence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't have a clue what it was about so I'm not sure why Neville should and you can't really blame the Mancs reaction.

This and this. The people around me didn't know what it was about either. Certainly I didn't see it mentioned on here before.

The idea that Gary Neville knew and then knowingly mocked it is classic Forum-dinlow response. Obviously he didn't.

I had no idea what it was about but just caught somebody singing one Markus Liebherr and assumed it was for him as I knew 62/63 was roughly his age.

No way United fans could be expected to know, it looked good and was a nice tribute but was a little cheesy so of course they're going to take the ****. We know why we did it and as long as we're comfortable with that who gives a **** what anybody outside of Southampton thinks of it.

I had no idea what it was about but just caught somebody singing one Markus Liebherr and assumed it was for him as I knew 62/63 was roughly his age.

No way United fans could be expected to know, it looked good and was a nice tribute but was a little cheesy so of course they're going to take the ****. We know why we did it and as long as we're comfortable with that who gives a **** what anybody outside of Southampton thinks of it.

Exactly that. Why should he know? As I said on another thread, I'm sure if we didn't know we'd also be singing "what the f**king hell was that?". Some people need to get a grip and realise life doesn't revolve around them and everything they know, assuming everyone else knows it as well. Our support is full of lunatics.

As has been quoted already, Saints lack of 'empathy' about Villa's tribute to Petrov is a perfect case in point.

Thanks for that

Funny I bet he knew what the lights at the king power were for

Funny how I'd say around 25k knew what the lights represented but some on here didnt

Clearly they didn't and worked it out. Far too precious and looking for something to be outraged about.

I don't have FB and I knew. I'm surprised people who spend most of the day on here (claim) they didn't know, it was in the Tifo thread and discussed by several people on here as soon as we got through to the final (don't know how to link a thread).

What's slightly much more worrying in the times in which we live is how many people are prepared to randomly group-join-in with something they know nothing about! Hands up, my missus joined in, then said what was that for? :mcinnes:

The United fans at Wembley weren't mocking it. They thought it was part of our celebration of equalizing and it looked impressive so they copied it when they scored the winner. You can expect to see it copied at grounds all over the country for midweek games in the next few months. Celine Dion comments or not, it did look impressive as did all the scarves held aloft. Anything which brings colour to the increasingly dull atmosphere at English games is to be welcomed and let's face it the authorities are not going to let us have fireworks and flares like they do at South American games.

The United fans at Wembley weren't mocking it. They thought it was part of our celebration of equalizing and it looked impressive so they copied it when they scored the winner. You can expect to see it copied at grounds all over the country for midweek games in the next few months. Celine Dion comments or not, it did look impressive as did all the scarves held aloft. Anything which brings colour to the increasingly dull atmosphere at English games is to be welcomed and let's face it the authorities are not going to let us have fireworks and flares like they do at South American games.

The United fans absolutely were mocking it.

The United fans absolutely were mocking it.

Who cares what a load of plastic Mancs think? So they mocked it and then replicated it themselves when they scored?

I didn't know what it was all about, but like Nordic, I thought that the effect was brilliant and produced an iconic image to remember the day by in the future. I agree that there will undoubtedly be a trend for this at other matches to come.

Please don't try to claim this hasn't been done before!!

Middlesbrough (at Old Trafford) - October 2015: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-34666533

Man Utd - November 2015: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-fans-light-up-6903111

Celtic - November 2016: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/214735/celtic-park-joins-together-to-produce-stunning-light-show-on-the-67th-minute-in-lisbon-lions-tribute-against-barcelona/

Sunderland - November 2016 (although not a tribute): https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2220333/sunderland-vs-hull-stadium-of-light-floodlights-turn-off-as-players-leave-pitch-and-fans-use-phones-as-torches/

Leicester & Chelsea - Jan 2017: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/fans-light-up-king-power-stadium-in-honour-of-alan-birch-birchenall/story-30058032-detail/story.html

Even the skates have done it.

Who cares what a load of plastic Mancs think? So they mocked it and then replicated it themselves when they scored?

I didn't know what it was all about, but like Nordic, I thought that the effect was brilliant and produced an iconic image to remember the day by in the future. I agree that there will undoubtedly be a trend for this at other matches to come.

I didn't care in the slightest, was just making the point they were mocking it.

I don't know why people are thinking this is something new, I've seen crowds do this lots of times before. Obviously it originated with concerts as a modern alternative to the classic 'lighters in the air' thing, hence the Celine Dion reference. But sports fans do it all the time too. I even saw Leicester doing it last night, and they did it for another guy in January.

Really I think a handful of Saints fans did it, perhaps to commemorate Markus, everyone else was excited and celebrating while it was 2-2 and thought it looked cool so joined in. Then Man U scored so they did it to celebrate their goal.

I thought it was very, very pretty and I liked it. I don't care what Gary or the Mancs thought. Please can we do this at every home game every time we score?

Cracking idea. A massive business opportunity for someone who could combine foam hands with flashing lights?

For the record I thought it was some sort of spontaneous goal cele by our fans, loads around me wouldn't put their phones down all game anyway.

Cracking idea. A massive business opportunity for someone who could combine foam hands with flashing lights?

For the record I thought it was some sort of spontaneous goal cele by our fans, loads around me wouldn't put their phones down all game anyway.

I thought that everyone already had some very large red and white Saints emblazoned foam hands with built in lights though? No, just me then....

Given that it detailed on her before the match, was put on social media and in the local press, and was accompanied by "walking in his winter wonderland" - I can only deduce we had a lot of fairly inebriated fans at the match!

Block 551 certainly got it at least.

Spontaneous being 15 minutes after we equalised?

Given that it detailed on her before the match, was put on social media and in the local press, and was accompanied by "walking in his winter wonderland" - I can only deduce we had a lot of fairly inebriated fans at the match!

Block 551 certainly got it at least.

Bad enough on here i cannot think how many saps post sh1t on facebook. How could anyone miss that? Hasn't Gary Neville got anything better to do?

Please don't try to claim this hasn't been done before!!

Middlesbrough (at Old Trafford) - October 2015: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-34666533

Man Utd - November 2015: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-fans-light-up-6903111

Celtic - November 2016: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/214735/celtic-park-joins-together-to-produce-stunning-light-show-on-the-67th-minute-in-lisbon-lions-tribute-against-barcelona/

Sunderland - November 2016 (although not a tribute): https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2220333/sunderland-vs-hull-stadium-of-light-floodlights-turn-off-as-players-leave-pitch-and-fans-use-phones-as-torches/

Leicester & Chelsea - Jan 2017: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/fans-light-up-king-power-stadium-in-honour-of-alan-birch-birchenall/story-30058032-detail/story.html

Even the skates have done it.

Genuinely when it happened the only thought that came into my head was "oh, that's quite nice, I wonder who we have copied that from".

Spontaneous being 15 minutes after we equalised?

spon·ta·ne·ous (spŏn-tā′nē-əs)

adj.

1. Happening or arising without apparent external cause; self-generated: a microorganism capable of spontaneous movement.

2. Arising from a natural inclination or impulse and not from forethought or prompting: spontaneous laughter; a spontaneous protest.

3. Unconstrained and unstudied in manner or behavior: a spontaneous personality.

4. Growing without cultivation or human labor: spontaneous vegetation.

yes pal, spontaneous. Not instantaneous x

Genuinely when it happened the only thought that came into my head was "oh, that's quite nice, I wonder who we have copied that from".

Sheff Wed also did it in play off second leg last season. Nice tribute to Markus but I didn't know what it was at the time. GN usually respectful of other clubs - expecting Trousers to post a 'storm in a teacup' picture...