How About We Don't Feel Proud

Gemmel

Now before everyone kicks off - I had an amazing day yesterday, I WAS PROUD and enjoyed the whole thing, the game, the fans, the football and appreciated the performances from all the players. we played extremely well.

I've relived it on here, watched the whole match again from start to finish, spent too long on twitter, listened to "Talk Sport" (My apologies) and read "The Echo" - who lead with "Be Proud".

But we all talk about glass ceilings, breaking through to the next level etc. etc., but without ever suggesting how we do that.

So what if we swap being proud, for being completely ****ed off. What if we stop the back slapping, better team, great performance for a few right royal bollockings?

There's a huge part of me that wants to cling to the "plucky loser", "Brilliant match" and valiant loser, but if the teams had swapped shirts, Forster, Yoshida, Romeu. Davis and Stephens would have got the roasting's of their lives for individual errors - Three of which costs goals.

I am not trying to detract from yesterday, but maybe, just maybe, if we really do want to "Move to the next level" then we have to be a be a little harder on ourselves than we have been. Each and every one of Man Utd's goals could and should have been prevented.

Not really - Kinda missing the point - Bit like the linesman.

oh you want me to pop over to Winchester knock on Steven Davis's door and tear him off a strip? Do you think those players who made mistakes aren't aware? Do you think they won't be pointed in the post match debrief?

Basically I saw a bunch of saints players give their all and fight until the end I can't help but be proud ...sorry. I'm not sure pointing out their limitations and obvious mistakes is going to take us to the next level buying better players will do that.

oh you want me to pop over to Winchester knock on Steven Davis's door and tear him off a strip? Do you think those players who made mistakes aren't aware? Do you think they won't be pointed in the post match debrief?

Basically I saw a bunch of saints players give their all and fight until the end I can't help but be proud ...sorry. I'm not sure pointing out their limitations and obvious mistakes is going to take us to the next level buying better players will do that.

Whooosh............seems like the point of the thread (Could well be my fault) has gone right over your head.

Winners and losers.

What do we need to do to change our lot into Winners? May be it can't be done, ,may be (And would be a fair answer) we actually did as well as we could have possibly ever done...........May be we just have to accept being plucky losers.

Whooosh............seems like the point of the thread (Could well be my fault) has gone right over your head.

Winners and losers.

What do we need to do to change our lot into Winners? May be it can't be done, ,may be (And would be a fair answer) we actually did as well as we could have possibly ever done...........May be we just have to accept being plucky losers.

But what are you suggesting "we" actually do?

Winners and losers.

Have you ever noticed that, generally speaking, those teams with a winning mentality are those that spend the most money...

We already hold the team to a higher standard than our history would suggest. See the disappointment (and anger from some) at a mediocre mid table season. We are getting better and fan expectations rise with that, but we're not at the stage where we can demand cup wins. We can only expect to give them a bloody good go, like we did.

I believe he mentions it in the OP

What if we stop the back slapping, better team, great performance for a few right royal bollockings?

So slow hand claps and w*nker signs throughout the Watford game, then. I'm not going but can someone loudly berate Cedric for being "an absolute effing disgrace to the shirt" for the entire first 45 mins on my behalf please.

We already hold the team to a higher standard than our history would suggest. See the disappointment (and anger from some) at a mediocre mid table season. We are getting better and fan expectations rise with that, but we're not at the stage where we can demand cup wins. We can only expect to give them a bloody good go, like we did.

Completely fair response.

Good points Duncan, and it looks like our progress will be evolutionary short of the necessary financial backing for it to be revolutionary - but progress is progress. Part of that is winning pots and a win yesterday would have done the club the power of good. Terribly bad luck to get a clicking Manchester United team in the final, we needed luck and the rub of the green to beat them, and we got neither in this instance. I hope we have a bloody good go again next year.