What kind of striker is he?

Pilchards

Lazy comparison from what I've seen. Inzaghi wasn't known for his touch and technique outside the box. Manolo seems more than just a finisher who excels at playing on the last shoulder.

Edited by shurlock

Lazy comparison from what I've seen. Inzaghi wasn't known for his touch and technique outside the box. Manolo seems more than just a finisher who excels at playing on the last shoulder.

Think it's his movement that's prompting the comparison. Gabbiadini doesn't seem lightning fast over a stretch, but like Inzaghi he seems to burst at the right moment already he should have three deft little finishes from about 3 yards out, which were Inzaghi's speciality. I agree though that his link play and technique look at first glance to be superior to Inzaghi's.

His style as a central striker certainly suits the way we play, we have been putting in a lot of dangerous crosses on the six yard box most of the season, we just haven't had anyone with the speed of thought and movement to attack the near post, nor someone who can beat a man with a turn in the box.

Interesting that his last coach said he couldn't play that role.

We've got to be careful here a little. He's been fantastic and I'm excited as anybody but everyone in this country got just as excited by the likes of Jelavic at one stage.

Pa**** Cisse. Hope I am way off the mark but reserving judgement for a few weeks yet. Although his start has been unbelievable.

We have had the manager setting up the team creating chances all season, Long and JRod being so wasteful.

Now we have a proper goal scoring striker the future looks a lot brighter, the shame being trips like Milan where we would travel with a good chance of winning, are unlikely now next season.

I've never seen a poacher like our new striker at Saints.

Does anyone think he has a likeness to Gary Lineker?

Mate, Lineker was exactly came into my mind too, although I think he's a more modern version; i.e. he's fitter and more mobile as well as being the ultimate poacher.

He's certainly a player we've been crying our for, for many years - let's hope he keeps it up.

i have enjoyed his runs off the ball as much as his work on it - one of the signs of a really good striker I reckon. when we move forward, even if he doesn't actually get the ball his movement opens gaps, takes defenders out of play and brings midfielders into the game. Agree with much of the above - he has so much of what the others lack. It's been a joy to watch us actually work the ball into the final third rather than get to the edge of the box and pass it sideways or lose it. exciting times ahead.

His addition has convinced me further of what I have personally felt all season, us being 'boring' is because we don't put it in the net, not down to the style of football we play. The style of football in the last two games has been the same, but it becomes a hell of a lot more attractive when we score at the end of it!

I'm on board with the idea of not getting too carried away though, Amr Zaki, Michu, Cisse as mentioned above, all have burst onto the scene too. But his intelligence off the ball is what gives me hope that we are not seeing a temporary purple patch, and also the fact that he hasn't come from nowhere, he's played for some top clubs already.

For too long we have been crossing balls into the box and no one was there. Austin helped solve that, but Gabb has taken it a step further from what little we have seen so far. It's going to be a great disappointment when he goes a game without scoring!!

His addition has convinced me further of what I have personally felt all season, us being 'boring' is because we don't put it in the net, not down to the style of football we play. The style of football in the last two games has been the same, but it becomes a hell of a lot more attractive when we score at the end of it!

I don't agree. We've ditched the diamond from earlier in the season and now playing at a much higher tempo, which is the key for me. Gabbiadini has been sensational though and has helped with that. He rarely drops deep looking for the ball to feet, he's constantly making runs in behind which is creating more space for the others to drop into

In answer to the question, 'what kind of striker is he?' the answer is simple, a brilliant one. Gabbiadini seems unique so I wouldn't want to compare him with anyone. His touch, awareness and movement are amazing and he comes alive when he is in the box. Watch his second goal at Wembley, it was pure genius and not many strikers would have even been aware the opportunity was on let alone taken it with such cool-headed confidence. This guy is a very special talent and my guess is that he will soon be a regular for Italy. We need to enjoy and savour his every performance in a Saints shirt because already he will be on the radar of the bigger clubs who will come calling with the promise of silverware, Champion's League football and untold riches.