Saints Accept £1.3m for Andrew Davies

Nexstar

It's a shame but hardly unexpected. He'd been playing regularly in Boro's first team, so was obviously on big wages, and I don't think he was really that good - I wouldn't pick him over Svensson and Perry. If you look at some of the disastrous performances in defence that he was part of, (eg the 5-0 away to Sheff Wed), I can't understand why others eulogise about him. We were 12th when he joined us, and 18th when he got crocked. I know he was brave - so was Franny Benali, but this in itself doesn't make him a class defender.

People Eulogise about him because they could see the difference in quality between him and the jokers that have filled that burth before him such as Powell.

Mobility and strength in the air is hard to find.

Killer has played a handful of games having been out for years, it is still early days and I hate to say it but there is still a chance his injury will re-occur!

The same can be said of Davies (except 'years'), being player of the season was a reflection on how poor those around him were, lets get this into perspective, he is no Terry or Ferdinand or even a Svensson, he made such an impact on us because it was simply a vast improvement on what we had at the time.

We are all aware how we could be a tackle/stretch away from loosing Svensson so I believe the player wanted to go, factor in our financial position, it was probably the right thing to do

I doubt the 'club,' accepted the bid, more likely the 'bank.'

Nonsense. The board are in charge with the bank's consent until further notice. £1.3m is ridiculous though. Stoke need defenders and have PL money. Should have been £2m at least.

Edited by TopGun

Nonsense. The board are in charge with the bank's consent until further notice. £1.3m is ridiculous though. Stoke need defenders and have PL money. Should have been £2m at least.

Don't know whether it's all that ridiculous or not. Something tells me that there is far far more to the "basement price" than meets the eye. Either he isn't

a very good bet to stay fit for very long or the amount at which he could leave was written into his contract as well.Perhaps he was just another one of those "homesick northeners" who can't get by without their daily fix of tripe and pickled cabbage.

I'm absolutely gutted by this news, if it's not tied down it's gonna be sold by the looks of it. On the plus side though, at least we didn't get Pulis jnr. My boss is a Stoke season ticket holder and from what he was saying, he sounds like a poor man's Jermaine Wright, who of course is a poor man's Rory Delap who was just, well, poor.

I'd be more upset if he'd had a cracking pre-season and had 2 match winning displays in our last 2 league games. I'm just a bit gutted instead.

Still we've raised some much needed funds and have another high earner off the wage bill. Damn I'm sounding like a stuck record at the moment as I keep telling myself this fact, to try and ease that numb feeling...

On the OS now.

Played with a very straight bat. Very factual report, with no spin.

Maybe Lowe and Co have finally realised insulting our intelligence makes matters worse.

Doesn't mention the transfer fee.

Quite an important fact IMO.

Plenty of info about Stoke City though.

The 10,000 have returned. It has been known for a long time that Lord Lowe has a personal body of men who number upwards of 10,000 - the 10,000 who left en masse following the night of the long knives - and it was today that they came back to see an exciting, progressive game of total football.

Disappointing that the flat caps who mindlessly supported Crouch's reign of terror could not do the same. Only 7,000 of that contingent returned for the first game of the season. I do not classify that sort of 'fan' as a fan.

You are a mong.

What if there was a 1.3M minimum release fee in his contract if a prem club came in?

What about if the player wanted to test himself in the prem again and felt it was time to go (and get a bumper signing on fee and increased salary in the process)?

Some people on here need to look at it from a different perspective!...

If we sell Surman however, then I will be disappointed, although I am quietly confident he won't be sold.

I hope he settled his medical bill before he left otherwise another load of money written off. It may well turn out that he will not be the same player and thus we shall be glad of the £1.3m, and the disappearing wages. Only time will tell.

I still suspect that this transfer was another Agent inspired. IMO agents are well aware of hidden clauses in player contracts to which we are not. Minimum acceptable offer to get released to Prem Club. "Oh, that's right Mr P; make that your best and final offer and the boy's yours. Of course there will be a nice little earner for me so I will insist he moves and I will feed a story to my mate at the Daily Globe to say how he hates being down there now."

I am sure that Davies will be missed, but I remember a comment from the RAF officer in charge of my section just before I finished National Service (long ago!!) "When someone becomes indispensable, it is time to get rid of them.":confused:

If there is any money from the Davies transfer to pay for incoming low cost/free transfer wages I hope it will be spent wisely. Have never seen Pulis minor play, but from reports and comments on this forum he would appear not to meet our requirements, to put it politely.

Saints fans really **** me off at the momment. Another player who when fit gave his all for the club but now he has gone all of a sudden he is "no loss" "we got some profit" "he wanted to leave" "he cost us to much money" "he only played 13 games" and so on.

He played 23 games last season and was our player of the year. He was a huge piece in the future of this club and is a massive loss. He was a future club captain. I can just see it this time next year if Morgan goes it will be the same thing. Looking for reasons why we don't need him when in reality we do.

Couldn't agree more. Quite easily the most incredulous and short sighted decision this club has yet to make.

Cue the financial wizards with the predictable retorts....

Couldn't agree more. Quite easily the most incredulous and short sighted decision this club has yet to make.

Cue the financial wizards with the predictable retorts....

no one has come back and defended his role in the 23 games where we won only 4 lost 9 and drew 10.

It is hardly breathtaking and he was part of at least one of the 5 goal drubbings.He won us all over by his bravery and spirit but that doesnt mean he's a great footballer.Like Baird his lack of height and pace will be found out.

If he is a success I 'll be delighted for him but their will be another hero who will come ofrward

no one has come back and defended his role in the 23 games where we won only 4 lost 9 and drew 10.

It is hardly breathtaking and he was part of at least one of the 5 goal drubbings.He won us all over by his bravery and spirit but that doesnt mean he's a great footballer.Like Baird his lack of height and pace will be found out.

If he is a success I 'll be delighted for him but their will be another hero who will come ofrward

What a load of tosh, it's almost as bad as when people mention that Pearson only won three games. We only won four of the games he played in because last season we where **** all over the park. One defender isn't going to be able to change it all around especially not when he's playing in defence with the likes of Wright, Thomas, Viafara....

He was our best defender and at 6 foot 3 inches he's hardly short. He towers over Chris Perry.

What a load of tosh, it's almost as bad as when people mention that Pearson only won three games. We only won four of the games he played in because last season we where **** all over the park. One defender isn't going to be able to change it all around especially not when he's playing in defence with the likes of Wright, Thomas, Viafara....

He was our best defender and at 6 foot 3 inches he's hardly short. He towers over Chris Perry.

Would you say that if we had Killer our results would not have improved then?

You continue to make such ridiculous statements with your hellbent myopic view it is scary. If Le Tiss had been in that team the results wouldn't have changed either as any sane man can tell that one player isn't a team. So from your logic you wouldn't have minded if Le Tiss had moved on. If you can't post objectively to my comments then please refrain from posting at all.

Would you say that if we had Killer our results would not have improved then?

I was thinking that as I typed it. Killer at his best ahead of Davies would have probably been worth 5~ points extra over those games.

It's a bit harsh on Davies to compare him to Svensson though, he was a top Premiership defender and has all the experience, Davies is still learning his trade.

Andy you are wasting your time trying to debate with some members of this forum who have agenda's relating only to the incumbents in the board room and not to do with objective and unbiassed assesment of footballing matters.

Andy you are wasting your time trying to debate with some members of this forum who have agenda's relating only to the incumbents in the board room and not to do with objective and unbiassed assesment of footballing matters.

Thats fine if you cannot debate and make out its because some are intransigent.

I understand why we have sold Davies, I like him but he is not superman and the stats surprised me. Now if it was Killer going I would be far more concerned.

By all accounts Cork fitted in well and Davies may not be available for weeks if not months.Is it better the club has the money in now or have it sitting on the treatment table?

We have strengthened the team by his leaving as we have a fit player in the squad.

I have wondered for some time about some of these supporters true love of Saints.

Another player goes and suddenly he is no good. But we are ok because God is still here.

Not interested in the Directors but as stated its good to talk sensibly and not forever with your bias towards Directors or a particular Director. The main thing is balance in order to keep us moving up the table towards that promotion place. Bring back Mr Corbett and of course Sooty.

I have wondered for some time about some of these supporters true love of Saints.

Another player goes and suddenly he is no good. But we are ok because God is still here.

Not interested in the Directors but as stated its good to talk sensibly and not forever with your bias towards Directors or a particular Director. The main thing is balance in order to keep us moving up the table towards that promotion place. Bring back Mr Corbett and of course Sooty.

Is that a dig at me? If so you havent read the posts.I havent said he's no good but he's not irreplacable and for all his endeavour he did not turn things around for us.

If we were financially secure then having a player out for weeks would be more acceptable, in the meantime he has gone and that means we have got in a useful player . This week there are more to come

Is that a dig at me? If so you havent read the posts.I havent said he's no good but he's not irreplacable and for all his endeavour he did not turn things around for us.

If we were financially secure then having a player out for weeks would be more acceptable, in the meantime he has gone and that means we have got in a useful player . This week there are more to come

No.

PS I waited at the players entrance at Exeter but you didn't show. I was looking forward to a good balanced debate

and put you straight on a few things. But I still think your a top Saints supporter... sometimes.

Edited by ottery st mary

No.

PS I waited at the players entrance at Exeter but you didn't show. I was looking forward to a good balanced debate

and put you straight on a few things. But I still think your a top Saints supporter... sometimes.

Sorry I never saw the post about that.Why didnt you PM me ?

To be fair all the reports about Jack Cork sound very promising and with MS we may soon forget about Andrew Davies. So money in the bank and still retaining quality.

As usual we end up saying who was Davies.

It was like Pearson tomorrow is another day and JP is now the main man.

Onwards and upwards Nick.

Edited by ottery st mary

Re Davies He played 23 games last season and was our player of the year. He was a huge piece in the future of this club and is a massive loss. He was a future club captain. I can just see it this time next year if Morgan goes it will be the same thing. Looking for reasons why we don't need him when in reality we do.

Davies Achilles heel was that he was not "aquired! by Lowe in the first place ..... Ie, the previous "Regime" got him

Therefore, it was obvious he was on Lowe's "get rid of" list ......

Simple Business Logic

Davies Achilles heel was that he was not "aquired! by Lowe in the first place ..... Ie, the previous "Regime" got him

Therefore, it was obvious he was on Lowe's "get rid of" list ......

Simple Business Logic

I assume you beleive we didnt land on the moon, 9/11 was done by the CIA and Daina was murdered on the orders of Prince Phillip

• 8 years later...
Personally I think we have a good chance in this up coming 2008-09 season I mean look at the players we've bought in

Ryan Smith

Lee Molyneux

Anthony Pulis

Tommy Forecast

with our new Dutch management duo we are going to rip the league up....

Oh god, imagine waking up to find the last 9 years had all been a dream...