Weekend 9/10 April - Other Games

Batman

Walker and Rose utilised so well by Spurs. Makes such a big difference when the FBs have pace to bomb forward and are a threat around the box.

I just so love Spurs and every thing they do and dream about their manager all day long. And even love the way he sacks off the Europa League and FA Cup to win nothing. Love him I do.

I still harbour hopes of catching United, don't think we can catch Spurs though. With that in mind my preference is a Spurs win, Leicester can still win the league, perfect...

On the other hand, a Utd win would be a big step towards Leicester winning the League before we go to White Hart Lane. Between that, being guaranteed Champions League football and a few players not wanting to get injured for the Euros, might give us a better chance.

Can't see us catching Utd really, even if they lost both games in hand they've still got a 3 point head start.

Yes. It has definitely happened in the Premier League era, and I think I might be right in saying it happened when we went down.

Why?

I would like Leicester to win the League so quite happy if Man United won today.

If Utd lose today we'll only be 3 points behind them. They have a game in hand, so not easy to catch them, but not impossible.

On the other hand, a win for Spurs keeps them in the hunt to catch Leicester. Maybe a draw is the best result.

If Utd lose today we'll only be 3 points behind them. They have a game in hand, so not easy to catch them, but not impossible.

On the other hand, a win for Spurs keeps them in the hunt to catch Leicester. Maybe a draw is the best result.

Their game in hand is against West Ham, which is on the Tuesday before the final weekend of fixtures, so at least one team above us is guaranteed to drop points in that fixture.

Us finishing sixth will require us to go on an unbelievable run between now and the end of the season - with that in mind it's a bit of a waste of time just wishing for the likes of Man U to lose all the time because obviously they aren't going to.

We'll need to earn sixth under our own steam. No one is going to give it to us.

****ing Stoke what ever position we finish I wanted it to be above Liverpool. Stoke just made that much harder ....:x

Liverpool are pretty certain to end the season on a good run to send the scousers (and the media) into hype-factor 1000 for next season. I'd love us to do it but I think they will overtake us with those extra games.

Anyone watching via premier league pass, the commentator with Andy Townsend said, 'the Tottenham anthem being sung by their fans' when they were singing oh when the saints. Found that quite annoying, I wonder when history will be rewritten to it always have been their song and we copied them

Us finishing sixth will require us to go on an unbelievable run between now and the end of the season - with that in mind it's a bit of a waste of time just wishing for the likes of Man U to lose all the time because obviously they aren't going to.

We'll need to earn sixth under our own steam. No one is going to give it to us.

Agree, to finish sixth I reckon we would need to win at least 4 of our last 5 and with City, Spurs and a trip to our nemesis Goodison it isn't going to happen.

Going on a run of 8 losses in 10 at any point isn't going to land you top 6 finishes.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Beyond me why people want United to win.

Yes I hate Spurs a lot more than United but atm we are vying for a top 6/7 finish with United, not Spurs.

The more they lose, the better for us, don't care if it doesn't benefit Leicester.

Liverpool are pretty certain to end the season on a good run to send the scousers (and the media) into hype-factor 1000 for next season. I'd love us to do it but I think they will overtake us with those extra games.

I figure the same but I thought if Stoke got a result today we might have a chance sadly Stoke decided today was the day to become really crap.

Beyond me why people want United to win.

Yes I hate Spurs a lot more than United but atm we are vying for a top 6/7 finish with United, not Spurs.

The more they lose, the better for us, don't care if it doesn't benefit Leicester.

But it doesn't really make any difference. If Manchester United lose every single match from now until the end of the season then Liverpool and West Ham and Chelsea and Stoke can all be in contention for 6/7th too.

We need to worry about what we do. We haven't been close to being good enough to be above Man U (or to finish sixth) all season - we need to improve, not aimlessly hope that everyone around us loses every match they play.

because when he dumped us, i really didnt want him to be.

he is on his way to the very top IMO.

Maybe, we shall see I guess but it will be interesting to see if he goes or stays and tries to make Spuds a "big club" again. Frankly I really don't care if he does well or not.

If the result stands, aren't Leicester now mathematically guaranteed a Champions' League place? Pretty incredible.

Top 4 guaranteed, technically not CL (even if you ignore that 4th place does not qualify for CL, only CL Qualifiers), but it would take Man City to win the CL and Liverpool to win the EL - ain't gonna happen is it. Also PL possible champions now down to 4 teams.

Would be a shame if Leicester didn't win the league, but on the other hand I really want us to have another shot at Europa league.

Also, Pochettino has been good for Spurs, but I think if they hadn't spend all those seasons in EL they wouldn't be as good as they're now. You can only beat what's in front of you and frankly I don't see us ever getting better by beating the likes of Newcastle who, no disrespect, were absolutely shocking yesterday. I honestly believe the only way to truly progress as a club is to gradually build up and reinvent yourself time and time again, things like Leicester happen only at best once in a generation.

So hopefully we can get that 6th/7th place, even if it's a bit of a pipedream.

Spurs win was great news for Saints - only 3 points off Man U in 5th.

I am choosing to ignore that Man U have a game in hand on us, as do West Ham who are a point behind them and 2 points ahead of us, and that Liverpool are 2 points behind us and have 2 games in hand.

Can't see us catching Man City in 4th either.

The bipolar supporting opponents thing we have going on at the moment sees me wanting Man City to beat PSG so they make the CL Semis, which apparently are either side of our game against them, and then losing that so they don't win the CL whilst finishing outside 4th and potentially move the Europa places up if Liverpool win the EL. It also wants Liverpool to do really well in the EL without winning it.

Edited by The9

I am choosing to ignore that Man U have a game in hand on us, as do West Ham who are a point behind them and 2 points ahead of us, and that Liverpool are 2 points behind us and have 2 games in hand.

the game in hand united and west ham have...is against each other

the game in hand united and west ham have...is against each other

True. But by the time they play it on May 10th we will know which result (if any) we want from that. I'll take going into a home game with Palace needing to win for top 6.

Although I can't see Man U not beating Bournemouth on the last day. West Ham are at Stoke.

Edited by The9

Liverpool have an easy run in, can see them fighting finishing 5th and the media w@nking over them as much as Leicester.

I can see the first bit but not the second. Getting out of the Europa League would of course vastly improve their chance of getting into the Europa League. :D

Dortmund (H)

Bournemouth (A)

Everton (H)

Newcastle (H)

Possible Europa Semi L1

Swansea (A)

Possible Europa Semi L2

Watford (H)

Chelsea (H)

West Brom (A)

Possible Europa Final

The bipolar supporting opponents thing we have going on at the moment sees me wanting Man City to beat PSG so they make the CL Semis, which apparently are either side of our game against them, and then losing that so they don't win the CL whilst finishing outside 4th and potentially move the Europa places up if Liverpool win the EL. It also wants Liverpool to do really well in the EL without winning it.

All hatred of Liverpool and their Saints-sourced players aside, we should want Liverpool to win the Europa League. If they win it, they go into next season's Champions' League, as an extra place for english teams in Europe. If they finish outside the top 4 in that instance, the top 4 go into the CL/qualifier, then there are still the 2 League places in the Europa, plus the FA Cup winners - who we should want to be whoever wins the Man U/Wet Spam replay later this week, as that would likely extend the Europa places to 7th/8th in the League, assuming that team and Liverpool finish in the top 6/7.

We've been too inconsistent. I think 8th is nailed on now. Hardly a disaster, I guess with the whole Leicester thing it makes you wonder why cant we? Still, they won't be up there next season.

MP may have done well for Spurs, but he still ensured they exited all the cups to focus on the league. In the end it's counted for **** all, exactly when he did it so we could finish 8th.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

We've been too inconsistent. I think 8th is nailed on now. Hardly a disaster, I guess with the whole Leicester thing it makes you wonder why cant we? Still, they won't be up there next season.

MP may have done well for Spurs, but he still ensured they exited all the cups to focus on the league. In the end it's counted for **** all, exactly when he did it so we could finish 8th.

I'm willing to bet no one at Leicester is quite sure how the **** they've done what they done....it makes no sense nothing they did in the summer screamed PL Champions the whole thing is baffling, good for the PL, but still baffling.

Nothing bar automatic qualification to the group phase of the CL and still (just) in the title race.

Spurs fans must be livid. I don't think they are totally out of contention for the title yet either.

I know we have to be bitter about him and Spurs but he has delivered Champions League football, a title challenge and a class young team playing good football within two seasons of joining.

Top job.

Spurs fans must be livid. I don't think they are totally out of contention for the title yet either.

I know we have to be bitter about him and Spurs but he has delivered Champions League football, a title challenge and a class young team playing good football within two seasons of joining.

Top job.

I do. For them to win it now would require a spectacular collapse in form from Leicester. And seeing as they have got where they are by being consistent for the whole season, I really can't see that happening. Two more wins from their last 5 would leave Spurs needing to win every one of their remaining games to overtake them.

I'm willing to bet no one at Leicester is quite sure how the **** they've done what they done....it makes no sense nothing they did in the summer screamed PL Champions the whole thing is baffling, good for the PL, but still baffling.

Incredible fortune with injuries (9 of their starting 11 have played in all but 2 games so far, apparently), all 11 players having the season of their lives, the big clubs well below par, 10 penalties for and only 2 against, a shitload of 1 goal wins.

My money is on someone there having a pact with the devil. :twisted:

I'm now really torn. I wanted Leicester to win, but having watched their last two matches (against us and against Sunderland), they are really boring to watch and seem to have a huge amount of luck on their side. Spurs on the other hand play some lovely football and Dele Alli is someone brilliant who will become an England great, I'm sure.

So I'm torn, in fact, I don't care who wins the league out of those two now. Moaning Arsene "I'm great with the kids" Wenger can f**k off, moneybags Manchester City can f**k off now too.

I'm now really torn. I wanted Leicester to win, but having watched their last two matches (against us and against Sunderland), they are really boring to watch and seem to have a huge amount of luck on their side. Spurs on the other hand play some lovely football and Dele Alli is someone brilliant who will become an England great, I'm sure.

So I'm torn, in fact, I don't care who wins the league out of those two now. Moaning Arsene "I'm great with the kids" Wenger can f**k off, moneybags Manchester City can f**k off now too.

They've taken us to the cleaners a number of times in the past (e.g. Fourpast, Bale, Paul Mitchell), admittedly that's sometimes Saint's fault too for being mugged. Throw in MP and Alderweireld, and so the last club I want to win the league is Tottenham ****ing Hotspur.

All hatred of Liverpool and their Saints-sourced players aside, we should want Liverpool to win the Europa League. If they win it, they go into next season's Champions' League, as an extra place for english teams in Europe. If they finish outside the top 4 in that instance, the top 4 go into the CL/qualifier, then there are still the 2 League places in the Europa, plus the FA Cup winners - who we should want to be whoever wins the Man U/Wet Spam replay later this week, as that would likely extend the Europa places to 7th/8th in the League, assuming that team and Liverpool finish in the top 6/7.
WE dropped too many points from late November to early January in games were we should have done better. That put us under a handicap that has been difficult to overcome. There is a view that a good outcome for us now would be to finish in the highest possible position that does NOT attract European football. Scraping into the Europa League qualifiers did us no favours at the beginning of this season. Better that we have a strong season in the Premier League with a top four place as the ambition, and to do that, getting off to a good start would give us the chance to get close to what Leicester have done.