Saints 1 West Ham 3 - Post Match

Mr X

There was 1 positive from today. Did you all get the code for 50% off dominos that was on the hoardings?

Result!!

We have some quality players, the problem is how we set up tactically. Essentially we don't put any pressure on opposing teams until they're 30 yards out. This means they have the lions share of possession. You need to have control of the ball to create and score.

I know final stats say we had 55% possession but I would guess that at 60 mins we probably had closer to 40%.

I understand defending deep and trying to hit on the counter away at anfield but at home to West Ham? Thoroughly bemused. When we do win the ball back, we're so deep that we hoof it up to our 1 player on the halfway line who is immediately surrounded by 3 or 4 and we lose possession again.

They controlled the first hour and then relaxed once they were 3 up.

This is by far the worst we've looked since league 1 days.

Puel is well out of his league ( although not helped by the Mickey Mouse transfer policy)

I really fear we're in a relegation scrap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I said I would give it until the first week of February before starting to question my optimism. So, let the questioning begin...!

Optimism 0 Pessimism 1

The Liverhampton and Pompey results providing the only silver linings today.

We limp on...

Normally that would be true. But now we're looking over our shoulders and a Hull loss would've been preferable.

Puel is a rabbit caught in the headlights. His ultra cautious style is failing, fans are bored and players heads are dropping. The capitulation in the cup was a pathetic own goal.

He's rotating like mad desperately hoping that something will happen without having an actual strategy. The first thing he should be doing is identifying his best XI and sticking with them.

Yes, he's had some bad luck with players and Reed does deserve some stick but his football has stunk all season, even when we had a full squad. Ponderous, shackled dross.

It's too late to get rid now, he's in for the rest of the season but barring some miraculous turnaround he needs to be replaced come May.

I think we'll stay up but it's getting very uncomfortable. The squad is better than this.

Puel is a rabbit caught in the headlights. His ultra cautious style is failing, fans are bored and players heads are dropping. The capitulation in the cup was a pathetic own goal.

He's rotating like mad desperately hoping that something will happen without having an actual strategy. The first thing he should be doing is identifying his best XI and sticking with them.

Yes, he's had some bad luck with players and Reed does deserve some stick but his football has stunk all season, even when we had a full squad. Ponderous, shackled dross.

It's too late to get rid now, he's in for the rest of the season but barring some miraculous turnaround he needs to be replaced come May.

I think we'll stay up but it's getting very uncomfortable. The squad is better than this.

Very good post. I fear we are stuck with him for the remainder of the season.

We really are in an atrocious place right now. That was a total shambles. We honestly had no idea, no game plan, no attacking intent. Nothing. It was as unidirectional a performance as you're likely to see.

We were always going to have a dip eventually after the last 7 years, it would be naive to think otherwise. But the way it's happened has just been brought on by ourselves. Defensively, as predicted, we were a shambles and that's the defence we have to carry for the remainder of the season. A colossal ball up at the club and heads should roll over that.

We're not going to get rid of Puel, he's here for this season at least. I don't think there's much point in doing anything now anyway, it's a bit knee-jerky. What I would say though is there is no connection with the fans and the manager, nothing. We had one with MP, Adkins, Komen etc. But there's nothing, he just doesn't seem to fit....but whatever, no point really debating that.

We really are in an atrocious place right now. That was a total shambles. We honestly had no idea, no game plan, no attacking intent. Nothing. It was as unidirectional a performance as you're likely to see.

We were always going to have a dip eventually after the last 7 years, it would be naive to think otherwise. But the way it's happened has just been brought on by ourselves. Defensively, as predicted, we were a shambles and that's the defence we have to carry for the remainder of the season. A colossal ball up at the club and heads should roll over that.

We're not going to get rid of Puel, he's here for this season at least. I don't think there's much point in doing anything now anyway, it's a bit knee-jerky. What I would say though is there is no connection with the fans and the manager, nothing. We had one with MP, Adkins, Komen etc. But there's nothing, he just doesn't seem to fit....but whatever, no point really debating that.

Sums it up to me. No connection from day 1. A poor fit even though probably a good coach. When he speaks I just glaze over and think of the 'possibilities and opportunities' he has missed.

Sums it up to me. No connection from day 1. A poor fit even though probably a good coach. When he speaks I just glaze over and think of the 'possibilities and opportunities' he has missed.

I never listen to him post or pre match, can't bring myself to.

I presume all of those who think we are not only in a relegation fight but also odds on to lose it if we keep Puel would be fairly surprised if I told them we are 33/1 to get relegated on Betfair? Probably get more than that if you asked for it...

A sobering thought for you. Next weekend we play current bottom side Sunderland and if we lose, as our abysmal form particularly away from St Marys strongly suggests is going to happen, we will find ourselves just five points ahead of them. Anyone who is not worried must have their head buried deeply in the sand.

I'm not suggesting Adkins as a long term solution by any means, but until the end of the season. Its clear from his tweets and attending matches that he still cares deeply about the club, and let's not forget that he was actually doing a pretty good job until he was sacked, and showing he was getting to grips with the prem. I'm pretty confident that he would get us more wins than Puel - along with better quality football too.

I'm not suggesting Adkins as a long term solution by any means, but until the end of the season. Its clear from his tweets and attending matches that he still cares deeply about the club, and let's not forget that he was actually doing a pretty good job until he was sacked, and showing he was getting to grips with the prem. I'm pretty confident that he would get us more wins than Puel - along with better quality football too.

Tend to agree. On a sentimental note, it would be nice to close the circle with him. I think most fans thought his sacking very harsh at the time. Granted, Poch is destined for great things, but the timing of Nigel's sacking was cruel.

I cannot believe people are suggesting we bring in Adkins to replace Puel. Probably the same ones who thought we should have dealt dealt with our striker problems by bringing back Rickie Lambert.

To be fair I'm sure the majority on here would rather Adkins than Eric Black as a caretaker if Puel either resigns or gets sacked!

Fair enough. But, the Board have been complacent for more than a year now. I suppose, a club like SFC finds success and failure in cycles. Maybe, the Board have always planned for the worst case scenario, by being financially bouyant should we get relegated. Clear the deadwood. Get young fresh players in and rebuild. Get promoted. Sell our best young players. Decline gradually. Get relegated but in good financial shape. Start cycle again. Avoiding QPR and P@@@@@y model

You're stupid.

Let me explain in words of one syllable:

This year and every year SFC are in the PL they get £100. The club is worth £200.

If they get relegated they get a diminishing return of £80, £50, £30 and zilch. The club is worth £50.

How does this equate to making money? You only make money by surviving and how things are structured you only make more money by being successful. You are not successful with your 'method' which falls flat on its arse and produces the opposite effect to that which you want.

Do they put something in the carrots in Norwich or is everyone like you?

You're stupid.

Let me explain in words of one syllable:

This year and every year SFC are in the PL they get £100. The club is worth £200.

If they get relegated they get a diminishing return of £80, £50, £30 and zilch. The club is worth £50.

How does this equate to making money? You only make money by surviving and how things are structured you only make more money by being successful. You are not successful with your 'method' which falls flat on its arse and produces the opposite effect to that which you want.

Do they put something in the carrots in Norwich or is everyone like you?

You can't count.

To be fair I'm sure the majority on here would rather Adkins than Eric Black as a caretaker if Puel either resigns or gets sacked!

I'll give you that one... I don't think Puel should be sacked, because our team is poor (with a few good players), and that's down to the board. Plus Reed has said that if a manager is sacked then it shows a flaw with those appointing...

Saints 22 shots West Ham 6 and we lose 3-1.

Story of our season !!!

So many times we have had more shots on goal and on target than the opposition but not got the result. Poor finishing, defensive lapses and pure bad luck have cost us on too many occassions. Very frustrating but far from the picture being painted on here.

Certainly not relegation material.

It was certainly relegation material that I witnessed today.

Bury your head in the sand if you like.

Terrible as soon as we scored.. players don't look happy with the manager, although I believe it's more Reed's fault for not signing a CB.

and to make things worse... we're still playing that f****** song before the game. Embarrassing seeing the away fans laughing at it.

I actually find it impossible to find the words to adequately describe how angry I am that we have blundered our way into this ridiculous position. I cannot believe we sold Fonte with no replacement in place (after being told by a certain **** that we would not sell him without a replacement being in place). That was monumentally stupid enough in its own right. But to then not get a replacement in after losing VVD just defies belief.

7 points off the relegation zone, 10 goals against in our last 3 games + we've lost 6 of our last 7 League games.

Talk of relegation is laughable. F'ing clueless bedwetters

Yes, could be a massive 5 points ahead of current bottom club Sunderland next weekend if they beat us so all is well. Nothing to see here. No need for concern.

In all honesty does anyone think the club realised the severity of VVD's injury when they were selling Fonte?

VVD wasn't even injured before we sold Fonte. Even if he wasn't injured we shouldn't have sold Fonte without a replacement being in place. After making that stupid ****ing move and VVD then getting injured it is even more ludicrous not to get another centre back in. FFS there is no defending this utter ****ing cluster****.

Well if they didn't then maybe it's time to sack our team of highly paid doctors and physios.

Well, in that case, is there a breakdown of communication or is someone not listening to others at the club because as others have said, letting Fonte go was a disaster. I am biast and always have been, to me, Fonte held together our defence quietly for many years. Liverpool took Lovren quoting that Lovren organised our defence which was incorrect. If Saints sold Fonte to make a few bob, this could be the few bob too far.

Well, in that case, is there a breakdown of communication or is someone not listening to others at the club because as others have said, letting Fonte go was a disaster. I am biast and always have been, to me, Fonte held together our defence quietly for many years. Liverpool took Lovren quoting that Lovren organised our defence which was incorrect. If Saints sold Fonte to make a few bob, this could be the few bob too far.

The club clearly thought they had a player lined up it didn't work out so we are in the poo!

The club clearly thought they had a player lined up it didn't work out so we are in the poo!

Thinking you have a player lined up and actually having a player signed up are two very different things. It is just criminally stupid that we are in this position.

Just watched the managers post match interview, He looks like he knows he's a dead man walking !

I still think it's not completely down to Puel; there are so many areas of weakness in the squad, and it really is time for the torch of accountability to be shone on Reed's decision making and recruitment. After today though, I'm joining the Puel out brigade; at the very least in the Summer. The most glaring tactical faux pas today was not the weakened CB set-up, but the complete surrender of midfield with Davis and JWP providing a meek CM presence while Romeu valiantly tries to do a job both Wanyama and Morgan previously did in tandem . Then there was the setting up of J-Rod on the left and Boufal who so excels centrally or wider left, stuck out on the right and starved of the ball. On another issue, surely it's time for Forster to be dropped - he has been awful for much of the season. Gabbiadini was a bright note on a very dull and deflating afternoon.

I was at the game today. Low down in the Chapel behind the goal. Apart from being thoroughly depressed after that poor performance I have a couple of observations...

1. Things did not get off to a good start - I was on the 'fone before the game discussing the the team selection when I got drowned out out by AC/DC Highway to Hell. One of my favourite bands by the way and just love the track - but what with our dodgy CD pairing I thought this was an omen too far!

2. Regarding the aforesaid dodgy CD pairing, I've been a great supporter of Yosh (and still am). Not my 1st choice for CD until a couple of weeks ago, but I've always thought of him as a really dependable squad member who can come on/in and give a decent performance when required. Sadly he was at severe fault for their equaliser - failing to intercept the through ball to Carroll - this was right in front of us. He was absolutely distraught, and sadly, after that I think he lost what confidence he had, and the back four looked dismal.

3. Being just a humble member (fortunately (or maybe not) qualifying for a Wembley ticket), I tend to sit in different places at St Mary's and today I was unfortunately sat in front of a bunch of old farts (rather like myself) who did not stop moaning and whining at the top of their voices all game long (very unlike me!). It doesn't matter how bad we play the last thing I want to hear is our players being slagged off all the time, with the same phrase coming out ad infinitum ...."That XXXX is f***ing useless, I've been saying that all season, the sooner we get rid of him the better" ( substitute any saints player for xxxx during the match). Then about 15 mins before the end it goes quiet and I turn round to see they have left.

I went to Swansea on Tuesday and I have to say I thought we should have come away with at least a point and I came into this game with some optimism. Sadly our current back four, or more specifically the two CB's are deffo not upto standard. Somebody elsewhere in this thread suggested playing three CB's, with two wing backs Bertrand and Cedric for the Sunderland game. I'd certainly give this a go with four packed in in midfield and Gabbiadini (who almost impressed me today) up front. Having just watched the Palace-Sun highlights I still see no reason why we can't beat these two, or at least don't lose

Would you rather see Gabbiadini nurtured into Saints, coached and inspired by Puel and Black or Nigel Adkins? There's really no contest is there? The current manager is to blame for the car crash this season has become, entirely responsible. If he can't influence and persuade the Board that the team needs strengthening, he's not the right man for the job. If he can't produce a winning team when he thinks he has all the players he needs, he's not the right man for the job. If he can't entertain the fans with his style of football he's not the right man for the job. He's not the right man for the job. Puel out.

Puel is not the issue. Some of you lot need to get your heads round the fact that we won't be sacking him any time soon.

Sorry, I disagree. I normally sit on your side of things, but his tactics have been terrible. He should of left well alone, and continued on from our last few seasons, but no, he knew better, as Wenger taught him, and look how Arsenal are doing, that's with far far better players than we have. I for one, have had enough of this 'tippy tappy' football, playing sideways passing, backwards passing, all crap. That is what Puel has done to us, the players have not all become bad at the same time, I wanted to like him, but now want him gone.

I cannot believe people are suggesting we bring in Adkins to replace Puel.

I know, that's an outrageously ambitious dream. There's no way we could attract a manager like Adkins now after how far we've fallen. Puel is about our level. We could have had a Premier League winner but I'm glad we went for a tactic-less Tyro League manager instead. :)

the players do not play for him

it is pretty clear.

They play for themselves....turn up against Liverpool....local game v Bournemouth and home against the champions

the rest is dire

They will put a good one in against united at Wembley. Still wont make a difference on Puel. He is a terrible manager for us. Wrong person, wrong time

You just worry where the next win is coming from. The performances against Liverpool and Leicester were decent, and Bournemouth before that. But they are far too infrequent. You just wonder where the next points are coming from, as confidence will be low right now and we are lacking in quality.

Relegation has to be a concern. I'd like to think we will be ok but if we survive it really will be a case of limping over the line.

Les Reed has done a good job until now; it's like the Adkins situation. He's out of his depth and needs replacing. Puel too. Sadly I can see them both staying into next season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk