Arsenal EFL Cup - Match Thread

St Chalet

Must admit i am surprised that we still haven't sold out the allocation, 5,806 is a lot of tickets midweek though, especially when we have been playing midweek regularly it is a lot to ask of fans, 2200 went to Prague just 5 days ago and have sold out 3000 for Palace on Saturday. Even still it might reflect some of the sad apathy that people like Fitzhugh Fella has shown on here.

I'm not a fan of having the away split either, lower and upper tier with Arsenal fans in the corporate middle tier between us.

Not sure if read too much into that article about Arsenal resting players, they will still have a strong side out with internationals and we'll need to be at our best to get through. Don't fancy our chances if it goes to penalties, i've never seen Forster get near saving one and McCarthy is still injured i think. Could also do without having to get a later train home!

Hope we play a strong team and we have the excitement of a semi final to look forward to.

I overheard one of the ticket office lads say there was 200 left for Arsenal to someone yesterday..

I'm not going and it's only the second first team match I've missed all season (Man City away was the other as I had NFL tickets months before the fixtures).

Just can't justify the midweek away game to watch a reserve team and a half when I've got work on Thursday, as opposed to anything else (though we are already skint from going to Man U, Arsenal, West Ham, Leicester, Hull, Be'er Sheva, Milan and Prague, and paying for Palace and Bournemouth!).

Thank you for your excellent uber-support.

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

Puel: "It's an important game. It's an opportunity to try to win something. All my squad is ambitious." #saintsfc

Puel: "The last game against #EFC was a fantastic game, with good intensity and a good physical level." #saintsfc

Puel: "Every time we can rotate the team and keep the same philosophy. #Arsenal are the same. It will be a good game of football." #saintsfc

Puel: "It's important to continue to develop young players, and not just from the academy, but the whole team – every player." #saintsfc

Puel on #SaintsFC's @VirgilvDijk: "He has the ability to become one of the five or six best defenders in the world."

Puel: "Do we have the squad to win this competition? Yes. But we must win tomorrow and every game is very difficult." #saintsfc

Puel says Dušan Tadić and @Mattytargett remain out, while @StevenDavis8 and Sofiane Boufal are available for the trip to #Arsenal. #saintsfc

Edited by SuperSAINT

Well I've just tried to buy cup tickets for tomorrow, but just seen I have to collect from St Mary's. FFS. So that's 3 tickets not sold :(

worth giving the club a call to see if they can sort something out, i know it defaults to that when there are not enough postal days left to deliver them, they might be able to agree something with the Arsenal ticket office, or if we still have tickets left you might be able to pay on the night.

The point was I'm not surprised it hasn't sold out, I'm not going and I've been going to all kinds of stuff this season.

yep, same. I've prioritised EL games this season as starting to get bored of the usual PL grounds.

hopefully Martina is nowhere near the side tomorrow. Cedric being back has shown the gulf in class between the two of them.

Hardly. What it's shown is that Martina isn't as good going forward, especially when he's been told to keep possession - which we already knew. Cedric was hardly auspicious defensively on the weekend and Everton created a fair few chances and put in some dangerous crosses, considering how little ball they actually had in our half overall.

He was. Made several very important interceptions and tackles.His defensive positioning also leaves Cuco for dead.

He also got turned inside out a couple of times for crosses through the 6 yard box to no-one. He doesn't have any defensive positioning does he? Usually in the other team's half?

Is the semi 2 legged ?

yes :) but one of newcastle and hull will go through, so deffo beatable over two legs if we draw them.

west ham vs united/leeds vs liverpool the other two ties.

id fancy us against all those teams over two legs except liverpool!

but tomorrows a massive hurdle- very hard fixture indeed.

Well I've just tried to buy cup tickets for tomorrow, but just seen I have to collect from St Mary's. FFS. So that's 3 tickets not sold :(

I know someone with a spare mate if you're still looking drop me a text

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cedric's so much better than Martina that it's achingly obvious but then I'd have a blind 3 legged dog at RB over Cuco if rules allowed.

Overall, Cedric's the better player. I'm just pointing out that Cedric has his defensive problems just as Cuco has his attacking ones.

hopefully Martina is nowhere near the side tomorrow. Cedric being back has shown the gulf in class between the two of them.

Agree 100 %. Cedric was outstanding on Sunday. We need the A team out if we've got any realistic chance but I think Puel will want to be targeting the 6 points from next two and make several changes. But I suppose at least he has some options, some better than others mind. I worry about the lack of goal threat as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think maybe you are a bit confused. Cedric is the shorter Portuguese defender. Cuco isn't.

I think maybe you just see what you want. There's not a huge amount of difference between them or they wouldn't both be getting games. I agree that Cedric is the better overall.

Cedric's so much better than Martina that it's achingly obvious but then I'd have a blind 3 legged dog at RB over Cuco if rules allowed.

Agree. The Prague away game is going to stay with me for a while...

Really? I mean, really? two posters would rather have a blind 3-legged dog at RB? Chances are, it will just sit around playing the opposition onside, so we'd be ****ed going forward.

I think maybe you just see what you want. There's not a huge amount of difference between them or they wouldn't both be getting games. I agree that Cedric is the better overall.

You're even more clueless than I thought if you think there isn't much between them.

Seeing Hull in the semis has got me excited for this game.

I remember the feeling when I found out that we had drawn Watford in 2003. If we beat Arsenal and then draw Hull, that would be the dream outcome. Liverpool, obviously the ones to avoid.

We've got to win tomorrow first though!

Agree. The Prague away game is going to stay with me for a while...

There were moments where you could sense the frustration of his teammates. He got more than a few looks which were probably along the lines of "what the **** are you doing you clueless ****"

I thought his performance in Denmark would be hard to beat for ineptitude but he ran it pretty close last week.

Seeing Hull in the semis has got me excited for this game.

I remember the feeling when I found out that we had drawn Watford in 2003. If we beat Arsenal and then draw Hull, that would be the dream outcome. Liverpool, obviously the ones to avoid.

We've got to win tomorrow first though!

I remember, as a fresh faced 14 year-old listening to the semi-final draw, on the playing fields of Hamble, on a Monday lunchtime, on a tranny; and Derby will play ... Manchester Utd ...... we didn't hear the rest, cue mass bundle as Southampton will play third division Crystal Palace, but I digress.

Nail Cedric and Cuco together and you'd have one decent right back, maybe breed them and, gender permitting, we'd have our next big seller in 20 year's time.

Martina is better in the air, and that goal, and he appears to be available more regularly than Cedric.

Cedric has had two of his best games for us v Liverpool and Everton, after a long period of unavailability. Cuco's not been as good this season as he was at times last season. Cedric's had some pretty meh games for us too.

Horses for courses, they can both DAJFU, in reality, to move on, we can probably do better. Compare Bertrand/Targett/McQueen, I would say we have overall more strength on the left than the right.

Info for anyone planning on using the Piccadilly Line tonight. Expect it to be much busier than normal.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tube-chaos-on-piccadilly-line-is-to-continue-for-weeks-in-run-up-to-christmas-tfl-confirms-a3407836.html

Get off at Finsbury Park and walk down - takes 5-10 minutes and generally speaking is quicker to get to that the Piccadilly line stops.

Get off at Finsbury Park and walk down - takes 5-10 minutes and generally speaking is quicker to get to that the Piccadilly line stops.

If coming from south (Waterloo, central London etc) I would get off before then at Highbury & Islington. It's only a short walk from there with much better pubs in the area, plus you don't even need to touch the Piccadilly line. From Waterloo take Bakerloo line northbound, change at Oxford Circus walk through short tunnel onto Victoria line. Very easy journey. For the midweek game last year a lot of Saints fans parked at Richmond and got the London overground direct from there to Highbury & Islington, another good option.

I overheard one of the ticket office lads say there was 200 left for Arsenal to someone yesterday..

Is that just 200 from the 5800 allocation? If so, amazing support considering the amount of travelling and expense dished out recently by our fans.

Not to mention a few shabby performances prior to this weekend and a fair chance it will be a 2nd string line up.

Strong line up please. We'll be up till 2am or later in Dubai if Extra Time and Pens come into play. Luckily not working tomorrow morning!!