Puel out

Lastman73

So we're out of the Europa League? Big deal.

EFL Cup semi-final to look forward to. Some people need to just cheer up.

I'd rather be a Saints fan right now then a whole host of other teams.

Perspective.

Its no good still trying to stay all happy clappy, dont you realise your mates are turning and you are now looking a little bit stupid.

is it the manager or was it the total complancency in the summer not getting 1 or 2 players in to replace the 33 goals sold off.

Also does Reed get commission/bonus on profits of players sold, I know managers used to.

33 goals sold off?

Pelle got 11 league goals last year, Austin already has 6 and will very likely end up beating Pelle's total. Reed presumably thought that between Redmond, Boufal and a returning Rodriguez they could cover the loss of Mane's 11 league goals which isn't an unreasonable thought. Tadic and Long between them got 17 goals last year and so far have 1 this season. Why isn't Puel getting more out of them?

If Cortese was still in charge I wonder if Puel would survive the day? Or maybe he would be staring at Reed?

Not that I'd want Cortese back I hasten to add.

In November Reed said: "If they go after 80 days, fingers need to be pointed at the people who recruit.

"When managers are appointed usually they want lots of changes. They want to bring their own staff, they want money to spend. If you go down that route you are putting everything you have built at risk.

"Our manager is a coach. The process is, 'are we the right fit for you, are you the right fit for us?' That is why it goes through several stages."

I'm not sure you have got this one right Les. The football is boring, incohesive and the previously much vaunted Southampton Way appears to have disappeared from the club PR. Puel however is not helped by a questionable recruitment policy this summer which has resulted in a squad that lacks quality and pace but includes a midfield who don't look like they have ten goals in them collectively, let alone each. A missed opportunity and fans are rightly asking questions.

You can get 25/1 on Puel being the next manager sacked -

That for me sums us up just now. Kat has zero interest, Reed is too stubborn (don’t believe your hype) and the club would see it as too much money to spend (compensation). So we will be stuck with this clown for the season (minimum) and Reed will quote his "breed success not buy it" crap as VVD is sold to Liverpool or Man United

These should be glory times for our club, but we have Les "bonus" Reed motivated by player sales, a boring clown manager and an owner that doesn’t have a single ounce of interest in us (other than £)

As a club we missed an open goal this summer

In November Reed said: "If they go after 80 days, fingers need to be pointed at the people who recruit.

"When managers are appointed usually they want lots of changes. They want to bring their own staff, they want money to spend. If you go down that route you are putting everything you have built at risk.

"Our manager is a coach. The process is, 'are we the right fit for you, are you the right fit for us?' That is why it goes through several stages."

I'm not sure you have got this one right Les. The football is boring, incohesive and the previously much vaunted Southampton Way appears to have disappeared from the club PR. Puel however is not helped by a questionable recruitment policy this summer which has resulted in a squad that lacks quality and pace but includes a midfield who don't look like they have ten goals in them collectively, let alone each. A missed opportunity and fans are rightly asking questions.

I think Reed sees Pochettino as a huge success and his tenure as a blueprint for how the club should operate. Bringing youth players through, playing possession football. He's referenced it in interviews and there's no doubt that's what we've gone for in Puel. In that sense it was arguably the right appointment, although we don't press in the same way we did then and a pressing game is also part of the plan. The question is whether that is what we should be aiming for. I'd like to see us play with a bit more zip. Like Bournemouth - the best team on the South Coast...?

Edited by mrfahaji

Europa league exit = party time for Heisenberg, Alpine et. al.

The same fans calling for heads after a few crappy performances will be the same fans bemoaning why we had 9 managers in 4 years (or whatever the number was).

Q.E.D. they're never happy.

I've seen enough good performances this year to put this down to two factors - the lack of a cutting edge and a lack of confidence. Yes, Puel needs to sort it out - but that's the mark of a manager. Calling for his head is counterproductive.

That said in a Brexit means Brexit kind of way, that's the way people work these days - let's leave! where too? who know?

... And before you know it you've got Brendan Rodgers.....

Everyone is judged on their last performance these days, why should Puel be immune to this degree of scrutiny.

Do you not think that maybe he - Puel - is only towing the party line by talking endlessly about developing the young players and playing the odd one now and again? He is not addressing us when he says these things he is showing Les what a good boy he is.

No new players will come in in January because Puel won't have the guts to stand up to Reed and make it a make it break issue. Sadly from his point of view, he'll get the blame from upstairs whichever way this turns out as appeasement never works. Bet your life no **** will stick to Uncle Les even if we get the BIG R as reward for or season's efforts.

Claude Puel is 100/1 on Betfair to be nxt PL boss to go, I'd suggest they reconsider that. Wouldn't say sack him yet, but if we don't get 6 points against Boro and Bournemouth, I think we should certainly look who else is out there, so if I wasn't a Saints fan I'd look at that bet.

Apparently Puel said his on his arrival that his strategy was 'possesssion at all costs', which is fine as far as it goes but we are very close to the basement for scoring goals, (which help to win games), partly due to the low risk approach Saints currently exhibit. It also makes for very boring games. Add the fact that we develop and sell on good players and leave ourselves with the 'also rans' like Redmond, Long, Rodrigues etc. I have supported Saints for over 50 years but it could be a while before I'm tempted to make another 240 mile round trip as long as we serve up this drivel. Rant over.

That for me sums us up just now. Kat has zero interest, Reed is too stubborn (don’t believe your hype) and the club would see it as too much money to spend (compensation). So we will be stuck with this clown for the season (minimum) and Reed will quote his "breed success not buy it" crap as VVD is sold to Liverpool or Man United

These should be glory times for our club, but we have Les "bonus" Reed motivated by player sales, a boring clown manager and an owner that doesn’t have a single ounce of interest in us (other than £)

0.2 On a day like today you should be cleaning up with beautifully crafted wind-up posts. This scattergun say anything routine is lazy at best. Have a word with yourself.

If we stick with Puel, can we get him a personality transplant?

Not pointing to you specifically but I am baffled by the amount of stick he gets for this. It seems a total non-issue to me. I suppose it's nice to have a Strachan who you can entertain you, but managerial interviews are almost always dull, and having someone who's particularly lifeless in front of the camera should be welcome encouragement to turn them off.

0.2 On a day like today you should be cleaning up with beautifully crafted wind-up posts. This scattergun say anything routine is lazy at best. Have a word with yourself.

To be fair to him Les "bonus" Reed is a subtle addition to his monologue. This will be the next thing in his "if I say it enough it must be true" approach to wummery.

What a difference a week makes. Last night has spoiled my fcking weekend. Not looking forward to Boro at all.

Fcking December.

Last week after Arsenal enthusiasm hadn't been higher then to witness those two pretty abject performances is baffling.

Puel out is fcking ridiculous though

I remember just over a week ago when Puel was a genius, rediscovered our youth, showed Koeman where he'd gone wrong then delivered our first major semi final for 13 years.

Nothing as fickle as folk..

It's the results and the number of goals scored and high levels of possession based on sideways passing.

Puel took the job you deliver results or even look like it's improving or you go.

We will sack him by the next window if we fall down the league

It's **** football that ****es off the fans

LMFAO!!!

Europe League is the zenith of what we can hope to achieve and indeed win (Champions League is a pipe-dream, forget that). Why then throw the Europa campaign with weakened teams and negative tactics? We spent all the last 2 seasons in the Prem grafting in order to achieve Europe, then just treat the competition with contempt.

There is a certain futility about the Kat and Les "Southampton Way" that does not sit well with me, despite the apparent success of the last 7 years.

Not time to sack him yet massively disappointing last night but that is no reason to sack him. Hopefully we will see an up turn in league form now we are out of Europe and we can maintain our cup performances and maybe land our first real silver where in 30 years!

Europe League is the zenith of what we can hope to achieve and indeed win (Champions League is a pipe-dream, forget that). Why then throw the Europa campaign with weakened teams and negative tactics? We spent all the last 2 seasons in the Prem grafting in order to achieve Europe, then just treat the competition with contempt.

There is a certain futility about the Kat and Les "Southampton Way" that does not sit well with me, despite the apparent success of the last 7 years.

I thought the line-up was fine last night. Ok, Fonte was rested, but he's not getting any younger and Yoshida has been doing fine. I certainly don't blame Puel for that (unlike MP for the Sunderland FA cup debacle).

I remember just over a week ago when Puel was a genius, rediscovered our youth, showed Koeman where he'd gone wrong then delivered our first major semi final for 13 years.

Nothing as fickle as folk..

Yes, but you have to realise that Forster's nightmare against Palace and Beer's one (spectacular) shot on goal going in (ditto Inter's at the San Siro) means Puel must go. Comfortably mid-table and in the semis of the League Cup is no excuse.

Europa league exit = party time for Heisenberg, Alpine et. al.

The same fans calling for heads after a few crappy performances will be the same fans bemoaning why we had 9 managers in 4 years (or whatever the number was).

Q.E.D. they're never happy.

I've seen enough good performances this year to put this down to two factors - the lack of a cutting edge and a lack of confidence. Yes, Puel needs to sort it out - but that's the mark of a manager. Calling for his head is counterproductive.

That said in a Brexit means Brexit kind of way, that's the way people work these days - let's leave! where too? who know?

... And before you know it you've got Brendan Rodgers.....

Well, I am relieved in a way that we are out of Europe. We clearly were not set up for the venture, a bit like setting out to climb Everest in flip-flops. No, we need to concentrate on keeping clear of the relegation zone. The club makes a tidy profit, board and owner happy and then make some cock and bull statement about ambition in order to keep supporters happy.

Well, I am relieved in a way that we are out of Europe. We clearly were not set up for the venture, a bit like setting out to climb Everest in flip-flops.

I'd like to see you get 12 minutes from base camp in flip flops.

You are one of the most consistent posters on here. You have managed to be wrong about everything you have posted in the last 13 years. You'd think you would have changed your tune after that embarrassing nonsense when we were in 12 place with 1pt needed for safety and you spent a month trying to convince everyone we were doomed.

I'd like to see you get 12 minutes from base camp in flip flops.

You are one of the most consistent posters on here. You have managed to be wrong about everything you have posted in the last 13 years. You'd think you would have changed your tune after that embarrassing nonsense when we were in 12 place with 1pt needed for safety and you spent a month trying to convince everyone we were doomed.

13 years of trolling and he is still free to post on.. amazing

Did not Les Reed also say" We have now got the best pool of midfielders that other clubs in the premier league would be envious of" :uhoh:

Did not Les Reed also say" We have now got the best pool of midfielders that other clubs in the premier league would be envious of" :uhoh:

I believe it was that "we now have the best midfield options in the Premier League" Now, I like a bit of Les, but that was batsh it nuts then and looks even more ridiculous now. How many goals have our midfield scored between them this season?

I believe it was that "we now have the best midfield options in the Premier League" Now, I like a bit of Les, but that was batsh it nuts then and looks even more ridiculous now. How many goals have our midfield scored between them this season?

he was probably 'comfortable with the situation' when he said it

In Les Reed and the club's mind, midfielders aren't supposed to score goals. They're there to recycle possession and nothing more

He forgot the to say "non-scoring" before the word "midfield"

This isn't puel's fault. Its Les Reed.

Sells Mane, buys redmond. Sells Pele, buys no one.

another £25m profit last summer, countless millions in the bank from the last 3 years of "record" revenues and having the 6th lowest wages in the league.

He took all the credit for Koeman doing a good job, shoved him out the door as soon as it was obvious he could get paid for it... but had no plan in place. Missed key managerial targets so we got Puel (if he really was first choice then that is a worrying failure of the scouting department). And he simply hasn't reinvested enough or wisely enough to stand still, let alone strengthen the squad.

We've been poor in a lot of areas if we're honest. Been downwards since poch and cortese left and I think we were riding a bit of a wave and got lucky with Koeman. He gave us Mane, pelle, tadic,a VVD and Toby, a very solid spine. Was a good appointment all in all but we were lucky with how well it turned out and outside of that the club has been very average.

Les Reed wanted all the credit during those boom years. This fault is all on him. Bad management of the backroom and coaching staff, failed recruitment and under investment is telling now.

another £25m profit last summer, countless millions in the bank from the last 3 years of "record" revenues and having the 6th lowest wages in the league.

He took all the credit for Koeman doing a good job, shoved him out the door as soon as it was obvious he could get paid for it... but had no plan in place. Missed key managerial targets so we got Puel (if he really was first choice then that is a worrying failure of the scouting department). And he simply hasn't reinvested enough or wisely enough to stand still, let alone strengthen the squad.

We've been poor in a lot of areas if we're honest. Been downwards since poch and cortese left and I think we were riding a bit of a wave and got lucky with Koeman. He gave us Mane, pelle, tadic,a VVD and Toby, a very solid spine. Was a good appointment all in all but we were lucky with how well it turned out and outside of that the club has been very average.

Les Reed wanted all the credit during those boom years. This fault is all on him. Bad management of the backroom and coaching staff, failed recruitment and under investment is telling now.

What ever you think of Les Reed, do you seriously- No seriously think that the Director of football dictates the budgets?

Les Reed is executive Director. So yes, i think he has a bloody big say in how we manage the budget.

As has been stated many times from the executive team, the club has to be self funding. When Cortese left the club, there was significant debt, which Katrina, restructured against her own estate. That has to be paid back - Which we probably have or are close to by now.

The budgets will come from Ralph & Rodgers. Les will work within those budgets.

No. He sold Mane and Juanmi and bought Redmond and Boufal. We sold Pelle and had already replaced him with Austin who made minimal impact last season as he was injured for most of it, and we had Rodriguez coming back as well. What Koeman did was get the best out of Long (eventually) and also Tadic (playing on the left), something Puel has failed to do and is a large part of why we're struggling so much up front.

You're an idiot if you think Koeman was responsible for signing all of Mane, Pelle, Tadic, VVD and Alderweireld. We don't have the 6th lowest wage bill in the league anymore. Where do you think the transfer profits have been going? We gave 8 first team players new long term contracts this summer, with a lot of them getting big pay rises, that's where the money has gone. Our wage bill will now be comfortably in the top 10 in the league

What a load of pony.

You want to have your anti Les cake & eat it. You blame him for our poor signings this season but credit Ron for the good ones the previous 2 seasons. According to you we've been going downhill since Nicola left, and laughable write off the awkward fact that we've finished higher both seasons since as "luck".

Most independent observers think we've got a cracking set up, Wenger called us "miracle workers" . Puel was brought in to devolop the youngsters and re-establish a pathway from the under 21's to the first team. McQueen & Sims would not have got a look in under Koeman. It takes time and patience for a new man to come in and do this. Dec is not the time to be writing the guy off, particularly when midweek games has limited his chance to work on tactics during the week.

It does make me laugh that supporters that are the first to jump on Adam Lallanas or Koemans back for bailing out want Puel out before Xmas. "There's no loyalty in football" they cry,before calling for Puels head.

What a load of pony.

You want to have your anti Les cake & eat it. You blame him for our poor signings this season but credit Ron for the good ones the previous 2 seasons. According to you we've been going downhill since Nicola left, and laughable write off the awkward fact that we've finished higher both seasons since as "luck".

Most independent observers think we've got a cracking set up, Wenger called us "miracle workers" . Puel was brought in to devolop the youngsters and re-establish a pathway from the under 21's to the first team. McQueen & Sims would not have got a look in under Koeman. It takes time and patience for a new man to come in and do this. Dec is not the time to be writing the guy off, particularly when midweek games has limited his chance to work on tactics during the week.

It does make me laugh that supporters that are the first to jump on Adam Lallanas or Koemans back for bailing out want Puel out before Xmas. "There's no loyalty in football" they cry,before calling for Puels head.

Midweek games affect Puels chances at working on tactics ? You're having a laugh surely?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Well said. Puel isn't very inspiring and starting to wonder if the players aren't exactly inspired either. The football is absolutely boring to watch and obviously not the Southampton way. Desperately need a win tomorrow. Lots of people go on on Herr about being too good to go down. Bar Burnley and Swansea I don't see many other teams playing as badly as us.