Puel

9-3

Rumours circulating that Puel is on his way out.

He had a huge bust up with Tadic.....and wanted him transfer listed.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Lots of friction in the camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must have been after he shook his hand after being subbed on Saturday so I am inclined not to listen to idle gossip especially given that this story is three weeks old and originated from a very dubious website. What was more telling was JayRod's and VVD's interviews imo.

Edited by Katalinic

I'm probably patient than most and would never sack a manager after 3 games, however after watching us again yesterday and then seeing VVDs interview I strongly sensed something wasn't right.

I stuck £30 on Puel to be the first premiership manager sacked this season at 14/1. He was 8th favourite in the list last night....

Just looked again and some bookies now have him as 5th favourite and his odds have dropped to 10/1. Not a massive movement but combined with the speculation about Tadic :suspicious:

Just read that story , hope gets at least two more games we've got a bet running where one of the lads is buying us all dinner if he's still here after 5 games!

Gut feeling so far is that this guy is not the right fit.

Can see him going quite quickly unless he learns and learns fast, he doesn't look in sync with the team for me.

Need to see more up front, we don't have bad players but it's not firing at the moment.

Where you hear this from?

Girlfriend of an under 23 player.

http://soccer-rumours.com/?story=30&buying=4&selling=3&player=1

You do know it originated from this site which is a load of made up ********?

Forum gold.

If it genuinely isn't working I would expect the club to be more ruthless, more quickly than some might think.

I would think Puel has got some time to make this work but if it clearly isn't working by the next international break then the club will act.

Will be a massive admission of failure on Les's part and he will have some explaining to do on why he didn't recommend a more proven manager with experience of working in more than one league - hello AVB and especially Garcia.

But there's still time for Peulis to win us all over.

For a start, it would have been cheaper to keep Koeman, even on £7 million a year ! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The next 48 hours are crucial, from what I am hearing he has fallen out with a number of senior players in the squad because of the way he wants the team to play.

Where have you heard this pal? NB: girlfriend of an under-23 player is already taken.

So Tadic , who according to sources , fell out with Ron , has now fallen out with Puel. If this chick is right I hope the board take his previous into account and back the manager . The way he's been playing he deserves a kick up the backside and if Claude has given it to him , great .

He hasn't, it's from a joke website.

The VVD interview was ominous. We can speculate all we like on here but that was hard evidence from the heart of the team - shockingly frank and not subject to the usual media-trained filter of platitudes and cliches.

I don't think that this Puel odyssey will end happily I'm afraid.

From a fan/spectator vantage point things don't look good. System looks confused; players look unsettled, Manager looks an ill fit (much in the manner of Garde) but most of all Mane, Pelle and Wanyama are gone and nothing like replaced

One thing that causes me concern is that the reason for appointing Puel was apparently to bring our young players through, unlike say Pellegrini. But we are not seeing any real signs of that so far. I don't want a team full of youth players, but Reed should be getting a chance.

Weren't the academy teams supposed to be playing in the style of the first team to aid seamless progression to the first team? That could be difficult now.

From a fan/spectator vantage point things don't look good. System looks confused; players look unsettled, Manager looks an ill fit (much in the manner of Garde) but most of all Mane, Pelle and Wanyama are gone and nothing like replaced[/QUOTE]

Don't think that can be blamed on the manager though.

Its quite obvious that the decisions on Mané and Wanyama were forced on the club by the players and by the huge fee for Mané. The decision on Pellé reaching the end of his career was anticipated before Koeman left with the purchase of Charlie Austin. It doesn't make sense to try to blame Puel for everything just to bolster an anti-manager feeling after three games where the results could easily have been different. Can't really see the club sacking Puel over the playing system but it does look as if he needs to show more flexibility. Didn't he do that towards the end of the Sunderland game with three strikers on the pitch? But I thought that in taking off Tadic he removed our best player on the day. Perhaps Les Reed will be making suggestions to him after three disappointing results and I'd expect him to responds to any advice from above.

Having said this, I wouldn't mind him being replaced just to get rid of those boring interviews.

Despite the public perception of the exodus being a disaster, just before Koeman joined, RK was actually fortunate to have a squad cleared out and nearly 100m to spend on building a new one to play the way he wanted.

Puel hasn't had that luxury, in fact, 20m was spent prior to his arrival and so the entire squad bar one (Pied is the exception) is not necessarily his choice and he is having to work with what was already here to impliment his own plan with players he might not actually chose if given the choice.

I do feel he has been put in a really difficult position but ultimately it's his job to sort it! Either he needs to use a system that suits the players at his disposal or get them to play his system and get some results. Assuming it doesn't turn around enough over the break to beat Arsenal, Swansea is becoming a very big game already.

Its quite obvious that the decisions on Mané and Wanyama were forced on the club by the players and by the huge fee for Mané. The decision on Pellé reaching the end of his career was anticipated before Koeman left with the purchase of Charlie Austin. It doesn't make sense to try to blame Puel for everything just to bolster an anti-manager feeling after three games where the results could easily have been different. Can't really see the club sacking Puel over the playing system but it does look as if he needs to show more flexibility. Didn't he do that towards the end of the Sunderland game with three strikers on the pitch? But I thought that in taking off Tadic he removed our best player on the day. Perhaps Les Reed will be making suggestions to him after three disappointing results and I'd expect him to responds to any advice from above.

Having said this, I wouldn't mind him being replaced just to get rid of those boring interviews.

Are you having a laugh ? If some penpusher from above tried to tell me how to do my job (which I'd been doing for years), I'd tell to them to go f^CK themselves. It's called interference. The board getting involved in team affairs will achieve nothing but disharmony.

Players are constantly trained and retrained in systems and tweaks to deliver results against specific opposition threats all of the time. They're all used to being "made to think differently". Misplaced passes are NOTHING to do with systems.

Aye I blame MNF for all these tactician experts. Football isn't as complicated as some would believe.

There are frustrations but levelling it all at Puel is not fair.

Kudos to this site as the whole thing is database driven so the website can bait fans in and sell move advertising. By changing the URL to have different story, buying, selling and player parameters you can make the improbable become reality.

This would top Kevin Keegan.... apparently we're close to signing Ronaldo!

http://soccer-rumours.com/?story=2&buying=3&selling=2&player=1

Cheeky bid to annoy an old friend?

http://soccer-rumours.com/?story=2&buying=3&selling=8&player=1

Look out for the advert in the Liverpool Echo....

http://soccer-rumours.com/?story=6&buying=3&selling=17&player=5

Hours of fun.....

Tadic was on the verge of leaving because he didn't want to work with Koeman

Tadic was dropped from the Serbia national team because he didn't want to work with the coach

I think I see a trend developing

Have you not read the thread, its complete bull****.

But if we sacked CP Les would have another reason not to spend any money, sorry we've just spent £**million paying off Claude just the same as people banging on about Ramirez, yes we know he was a waste but the money received over 3yrs I'd imagine would of covered this

I've yet to listen to a complete interview with the bloke. Obviously it's not his fault that he's not quite up to speed with the language, but at least if he had a translator we might get some more meaningful answers on things.

I really, really hope he can be a success here but at the moment I have to be honest and say things just don't feel right. He doesn't fit this so called 'Southampton Way' we always hear about, which I was under the impression relied on playing a modern, fluid, high energy, 4-3-3 formation like Adkins, Poch and Koeman all did (for the most part). A formation that, correct me if I'm wrong, is still being played by the youth teams.

I suppose the main thing is, he just doesn't excite me. I know that sounds petulant and childish but for me match excitement starts with the prematch presser and builds to the game, but I don't feel that at the moment. Even in the matches themselves I find us dull and predictable and I'm not just judging him on the 3 PL games, even the preseason matches were lacking something.

He has loads of time to turn it around, and Jesus it could be a lot worse we've only been beaten once, I just hope he can because we can't afford too many more points dropped to lower half teams at home with the league being so much stronger this year.

Hmmm. I am confused.

Why is Puel taking all the flack from fans and players ? Surely he has been chosen, with his system preference, to play that way because Uncle Les wants to play that way.

Shouldnt Uncle Les be getting all the stick ?

As I questioned yesteday, you would have hoped issues like systems etc were flushed out at an early stage of discussion or should have been known.

I suspect that as discussions progressed Puel became one of fewer and fewer options, possibly our only credible one remaining.

As I questioned yesteday, you would have hoped issues like systems etc were flushed out at an early stage of discussion or should have been known.

I suspect that as discussions progressed Puel became one of fewer and fewer options, possibly our only credible one remaining.

How cant the team who came 6th in the PL and have a Europa League group place, end up with so limited managerial options ?

Sounds like we really screwed the pooch by pushing Koeman out (and flogging off the family silver 3 summers in a row..). Still comes back to Uncle Les though.

How cant the team who came 6th in the PL and have a Europa League group place, end up with so limited managerial options ?

Sounds like we really screwed the pooch by pushing Koeman out (and flogging off the family silver 3 summers in a row..). Still comes back to Uncle Les though.

The buck has to stop there. Les has been instrumental in steadying the ship over the last few years, but perhaps he has become too overconfident in his own ability to always get things right. On the other hand it is early days and perhaps Puel may prove to be a good manager. I just don't find his version of the diamond entertaining to watch, so far.

This...in a nutshell.

How do you know our managerial options were limited? Maybe we chose Puel for a variety of reasons.

We have a record of bringing in managers who don't necessarily have a record or reputation... MP, Adkins & now Puel?

I was reacting to Badger's post

Alpine, I know it's a forum favourite pastime to slag off les, but given how he's been our director of football in the period that's seen our greatest and most consistent progress year after year in our history, shouldn't we perhaps be a touch more lenient with him? Have to say I don't think he's done a particularly bad job.

Alpine, I know it's a forum favourite pastime to slag off les, but given how he's been our director of football in the period that's seen our greatest and most consistent progress year after year in our history, shouldn't we perhaps be a touch more lenient with him? Have to say I don't think he's done a particularly bad job.

I dont disagree. But I feel an air of complacency has set in.

How on earth he could be so brazen as to let it be publicly known that Pelle didnt need to be replaced, I will never know. And we've had a year to find a replacement for Mane.

And lets not forget all the "We're optimistic xxx will sign an extension" releases that have gone tits-up.

I dont disagree. But I feel an air of complacency has set in.

How on earth he could be so brazen as to let it be publicly known that Pelle didnt need to be replaced, I will never know. And we've had a year to find a replacement for Mane.

And lets not forget all the "We're optimistic xxx will sign an extension" releases that have gone tits-up.

Pony

On what basis has an " air of complacency " set in , do tell . Has the same air set in at Boscombe & Palace or have they just got some iffy results .

Would a complacent team sign up so many players for longer deals , surely if there was this complacency you write about they'd have just let it drift , rather than working hard to secure these extensions .

I can't remember a time when so many people have actually signed extensions . Can you name another club where in a period of 5 months 7 key first team players ( OK 6 & JWP) have signed extensions . Doesn't look complacent to me , but maybe you know something I don't .

Pony

On what basis has an " air of complacency " set in , do tell . Has the same air set in at Boscombe & Palace or have they just got some iffy results .

Would a complacent team sign up so many players for longer deals , surely if there was this complacency you write about they'd have just let it drift , rather than working hard to secure these extensions .

I can't remember a time when so many people have actually signed extensions . Can you name another club where in a period of 5 months 7 key first team players ( OK 6 & JWP) have signed extensions . Doesn't look complacent to me , but maybe you know something I don't .

Extensions are all about standing still while other clubs advance.

And we've had limited quality incomings and a lot of quality outgoings. Wanyama and Mane currently look irreplaceable, so we just havent bothered.

Extensions are all about standing still while other clubs advance.

Complete nonsense . What are you suggesting we are standing still by extending VvD ,FF & Ryan B . Who do you suggest we bring in that would be better?

Are Liverpool standing still if Courtino signs an extension or Everton if Barclay does . I doubt there will be any supporters moaning about complacency if they did extend .

Complete nonsense . What are you suggesting we are standing still by extending VvD ,FF & Ryan B . Who do you suggest we bring in that would be better?

Are Liverpool standing still if Courtino signs an extension or Everton if Barclay does . I doubt there will be any supporters moaning about complacency if they did extend .

SFC extend contracts not to build or ensure continuity but to ensure they get maximum value when selling players.

If Everton or Liverpool extend a player contract for 5 years the supporters can look forward to watching said player for err 5 years minimum. We on the other hand..... 2 years max

SFC extend contracts not to build or ensure continuity but to ensure they get maximum value when selling players.

If Everton or Liverpool extend a player contract for 5 years the supporters can look forward to watching said player for err 5 years minimum. We on the other hand..... 2 years max

This will be the same Everton that just sold John Stones, who was under contract until 2019, to Chelsea will it?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Offering contracts are not quite as zero sum as you make it out to be; it's not a case of either creating maximum resell value or ensuring continuity or building for the future. You can offer a new contract and accrue all of those benefits.

F Scott Fitzgerald once said: "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

On that basis, it's not difficult to regard yourself as not having a first-rate intelligence.