Andy Murray

Jillyanne

Fair play to him:

999999.gif

Britain's Andy Murray claimed his third successive victory over world number one Rafael Nadal to win the World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam.

The 21-year-old Scot came through 6-3 4-6 6-0 in one hour 51 minutes to win the 10th title of his career.

Nadal was struggling with a knee injury in the closing stages and, after edging the second set, he was unable to serve effectively in the decider.

"Sorry to Rafa, I know he hurt his leg," said Murray afterwards.

"It shows how good a player he is - he was still managing to beat me on one leg."

o.gif606: DEBATE

Your thoughts on Murray's win

Murray too has had his injury problems this week and has pulled out of next week's tournament in Marseille to protect his troublesome ankle.

It did not appear to hinder him in Sunday's final, however, and he played well enough to suggest he could have defeated a fully fit Nadal.

The Briton went into the match with a 1-5 competitive record against Nadal but had won their last two matches, at the US Open in September and an exhibition event in January.

After a cagey start, Murray stepped up his game to break for a 4-2 lead and served out impressively.

_45479882_nadal_getty_282.jpg Nadal needed treatment on his knee early in the second set

When Nadal called for the trainer at 2-1 up in the second set, a swift end to proceedings looked possible, but it was Murray who came off worst from the break in play as he immediately dropped serve for the first time.

If that seemed to be a decisive moment, it was misleading.

Eight successive breaks of serve saw Nadal edge the set with a brilliant 10th game, that included a running forehand winner and killer drop volley, before Murray got the early break in the decider.

By now, Nadal's knee problem left him completely unable to push up on his serve and Murray took full advantage.

Nadal showed just what an incredible competitor he is two weeks ago when he fought past Roger Federer in five sets to win the Australian Open, but there was to be no repeat performance.

The bemused crowd inside the Ahoy Arena was hushed as the world number one lost the set to love.

It was a disappointing end to the match but Murray had given further proof that he poses a real threat to the very best in the game, solidifying his place as the world number four and suggesting he can go higher.

o.gifMURRAY TITLES

2006: San Jose

2007: San Jose, St Petersburg

2008: Qatar Open, Marseille, Cincinnati Masters, Madrid Masters, St Petersburg

2009: Qatar Open, Rotterdam

"I'm happy with the week but not especially with the way that it ended," said Murray.

"I can't be disappointed with how I was playing. I knew something was wrong with Rafa as he took about 30kph off of his serve in the second set.

"But he was hitting so hard that it was rushing me. That was part of the reason for all of the breaks.

"I could see him shaking his head. But he's not the kind of guy who's going to stop chasing the ball unless there's a good reason.

"He said that he sometimes has a knee problem when he plays a lot on hard court."

Nadal said: "I came here tired from the Australian Open, but this was still a very important result for me.

"I have to look at the positive. This was a good week for me, especially to reach this final."

Both Murray and Nadal are scheduled to play in Dubai in a week's time but the Spaniard could not commit to the tournament.

"It's tough when you can't play to your level," he said. "The problem is something from this week, it's tough to play like this, I couldn't push off on my shots. "I hope I can play Dubai, we will see what's going on. I'm not saying anything but you never know."

Fair play to him:

999999.gif

Britain's Andy Murray claimed his third successive victory over world number one Rafael Nadal to win the World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam.

The 21-year-old Scot came through 6-3 4-6 6-0 in one hour 51 minutes to win the 10th title of his career.

Nadal was struggling with a knee injury in the closing stages and, after edging the second set, he was unable to serve effectively in the decider.

"Sorry to Rafa, I know he hurt his leg," said Murray afterwards.

"It shows how good a player he is - he was still managing to beat me on one leg."

o.gif606: DEBATE

Your thoughts on Murray's win

Murray too has had his injury problems this week and has pulled out of next week's tournament in Marseille to protect his troublesome ankle.

It did not appear to hinder him in Sunday's final, however, and he played well enough to suggest he could have defeated a fully fit Nadal.

The Briton went into the match with a 1-5 competitive record against Nadal but had won their last two matches, at the US Open in September and an exhibition event in January.

After a cagey start, Murray stepped up his game to break for a 4-2 lead and served out impressively.

_45479882_nadal_getty_282.jpg Nadal needed treatment on his knee early in the second set

When Nadal called for the trainer at 2-1 up in the second set, a swift end to proceedings looked possible, but it was Murray who came off worst from the break in play as he immediately dropped serve for the first time.

If that seemed to be a decisive moment, it was misleading.

Eight successive breaks of serve saw Nadal edge the set with a brilliant 10th game, that included a running forehand winner and killer drop volley, before Murray got the early break in the decider.

By now, Nadal's knee problem left him completely unable to push up on his serve and Murray took full advantage.

Nadal showed just what an incredible competitor he is two weeks ago when he fought past Roger Federer in five sets to win the Australian Open, but there was to be no repeat performance.

The bemused crowd inside the Ahoy Arena was hushed as the world number one lost the set to love.

It was a disappointing end to the match but Murray had given further proof that he poses a real threat to the very best in the game, solidifying his place as the world number four and suggesting he can go higher.

o.gifMURRAY TITLES

2006: San Jose

2007: San Jose, St Petersburg

2008: Qatar Open, Marseille, Cincinnati Masters, Madrid Masters, St Petersburg

2009: Qatar Open, Rotterdam

"I'm happy with the week but not especially with the way that it ended," said Murray.

"I can't be disappointed with how I was playing. I knew something was wrong with Rafa as he took about 30kph off of his serve in the second set.

"But he was hitting so hard that it was rushing me. That was part of the reason for all of the breaks.

"I could see him shaking his head. But he's not the kind of guy who's going to stop chasing the ball unless there's a good reason.

"He said that he sometimes has a knee problem when he plays a lot on hard court."

Nadal said: "I came here tired from the Australian Open, but this was still a very important result for me.

"I have to look at the positive. This was a good week for me, especially to reach this final."

Both Murray and Nadal are scheduled to play in Dubai in a week's time but the Spaniard could not commit to the tournament.

"It's tough when you can't play to your level," he said. "The problem is something from this week, it's tough to play like this, I couldn't push off on my shots. "I hope I can play Dubai, we will see what's going on. I'm not saying anything but you never know."

Was that you headed for the Arrow at about 11.30 yesterday?

There is no escape you know:)

Murray will win a major in 2009, in fact I think he may win two. I think he will get through to the Wimbledon final this year and will then win another should he not win that.

Only if Nadal's legs go and he is out for a season.

And Federer breaks his arms.

Not very likely IMO. Grass is not his surface. The US is a much better chance for him.

It's not about the surface. I think he has got a lot better as a palyer in the last year and the Brits willing him to win will have a big effect on him. He isn't bad on grass, just not at his best. I think he will get to the final.

It's not about the surface. I think he has got a lot better as a palyer in the last year and the Brits willing him to win will have a big effect on him. He isn't bad on grass, just not at his best. I think he will get to the final.

Do you watch tennis? Of course it's about the surface! Who will beat Nadal or Fed on grass then?

Do you watch tennis? Of course it's about the surface! Who will beat Nadal or Fed on grass then?

Yes, I do watch tennis and I used to play a bit too. When I say it is not about the surface I mean in respects to Wimbledon being a place he will always do well as the crowd will get behind him. Take Ivan Lendl from yesteryear. He was known to be a player that could not do the business on grass. He was awkward and hated the surface, yet he made seven semi-finals in eight years, (two of which he won going on to lose in the final.) The crowd always lifted him and year after year, the Brits, lacking anyone to cheer on of our own, got behind him and willed him to the final. Fair enough, he never quite got to lift the trophy but he is proof that just because it is "on grass" and not his first choice surface, it is possible to do well.

Agreed the crowd will have a big effect but I'm not sure it will be enough for Andy to beat either Fed or Nadal. Semi finalist I reckon.

I do laugh at people that bring up the surface. 3 years ago, everyone was saying Nadal was a clay-court player only. Decent on the others but nothing special. Look at him now. Andy Murray has progressed in the last 2 years just as much as Nadal and has all the skills to win any of the majors, even the French which is his most unlikely one.

He is young, constantly improving, has a great mentality and is fast maturing in his demeanour on court.

It is my opinion that people who called Murray "Henman mk2" know absolutely nothing about Tennis. Henman was a serve-volleyer (a bloody good one too) but in recent times serve-volleyers dont win grand slams, you need more to your game which is why he was always found out in the end. Murray has got the baseline game, the fitness, the power, the serve and the shots to go on and win many majors.

With Skintsaint on this one. I think he will always be a 'nearly man'. Hugely improved and a very good player, yet when it comes down to it I think he'll always capitulate like he did in the Oz Open.

Nadal I think is a good punt to win the 'Grand Slam' this year. Needs to be protected and sensible due to his knees but it's not a major issue for him, not as much as it is made out. IMO naturally.