Stanford arrested on $8bn fraud charge

stevegrant

Wishful thinking. The population of India will ensure it remains more important to them than Test cricket.

At least the Indians still have a healthy respect for test cricket, something that Stanford never had. From the bit I've read about him, I get the impression that he wouldn't have shed any tears had test cricket been dropped.

i like twenty20, its good for the sport.

Personally I'd agree with Bungle here. Twenty20 just doesn't light my fire!

and now Mr Stanford has gone missing....cant help but wonder if this will have a sad end...

our very own hero mr bransgrove wants Clarke to stand down. Cant help but think thats a bit harsh. you get offered a great deal of money from an exceptionally rich man would you do the background checks? and if you did exactly how much would you uncover anyway? if the police investigators have only just uncovered the fraud what makes anybody think the ECB would have done it first..?

or is there a point im missing...?

and now Mr Stanford has gone missing....cant help but wonder if this will have a sad end...

our very own hero mr bransgrove wants Clarke to stand down. Cant help but think thats a bit harsh. you get offered a great deal of money from an exceptionally rich man would you do the background checks? and if you did exactly how much would you uncover anyway? if the police investigators have only just uncovered the fraud what makes anybody think the ECB would have done it first..?

or is there a point im missing...?

Private Eye apparently uncovered it a year ago, before the contract was signed. The suggestion is that there was more than enough doubt in a lot of peoples' minds to back away from Stanford.

I heard Bransgrove talking to Aggers on TMS yesterday during the lunch break in Antigua and his argument was along the lines of "I just thought there was something a bit iffy about him". A bit of a strange line to take by Bransgrove, who's opinions are normally very well thought out and considered.

He did allude to a complete non-shock as far as the ECB chairman's role is concerned, in that it's a bit of an old boys' club. Whether any of us have any time for Lord Marland, according to Bransgrove there were 5 county chairmen who point blank refused to even meet with Marland to discuss his plans. They'd already nailed their colours to the mast and nothing was going to prevent them voting for Clarke. Whether Marland would be a better option, I don't know, but Clarke gambled on the future of English cricket by whoring it to a bit of an attention seeker, and has clearly lost.

At least the Indians still have a healthy respect for test cricket, something that Stanford never had. From the bit I've read about him, I get the impression that he wouldn't have shed any tears had test cricket been dropped.

Personally I'd agree with Bungle here. Twenty20 just doesn't light my fire!

but it packs out domestic grounds for the twenty20 competition, brings familys and kids into cricket and adds an element of "fun" to it all. Hopefully it will lead to more kids wanting to get into the sport and going on to watch and maybe even play the longer versions of the game.