Photos in newsletter

hamster

Hi,

I help to put together our clients newsletter/magazine.

We tend to use quite a few photos taken the photography group and I have noticed that it is those pages that take the longest to be 'sent' to the printer.

What should I adjust to make them print quicker please?

Whilst on the subject of printing the magazine, I am gettimg fed up with messing about with double sided printer settings and manually sorting the pages so am putting together a request for a new printer. We currently have a print run of about 75 copies per month.

What would be a the best duplex (sp) printer around between £500 - $1,000? Toner costs will be a big factor in the final decision.

It depends what application you're using to print out your pages, but if you're pasting images into your document, you may find that they're embedded in as a full size picture, even if you're only printing them out thumbnail size. Get some photo editting package to reduce them in resolution before pasting them and see if it has a detrimental effect on the printed page to see if they need to be that big.

You say 75 copies, but how many pages do you average per copy? Because you mention toner rather than ink and your budget, can we assume you're looking at a colour laser with duplex?

Cheers Al.

We make it in MS Publisher and do a simple copy/paste. The last edition had loads of photos from Christmas activities, so highlighted the problem. We'll try re-sizing for next month cheers. We try to stck with MS products so that the clients can easily copy what we teach them on their own PCs you see. Therfore we'll do the resizing in Office Picture Manager.

Re the printing, it is was always 16 pages (double sided booklet), but is going to be 20 pages in future due to more clients getting involved in submitting their own work. Currently we've got an HP 3550, and my mate reckons we could just buy a duplex unit for that. But I would like to up it to something that is going to last for a few more years and simply do every job that we ask of it from printing greetings cards, the newsletter to high quality photos from the photography group that I also run.

Actually on the subject of the photography group, a few months back we did a presentation and people on here helped with background music suggetsions. I forgot to thank you all, cheers. It was so well received that we were asked to produce the official calendar. Out of acorns...as the saying goes.

Just reading about that printer, it seems there is no duplex unit available for it anyway. However, it does allow you to manually duplex through the driver, which I presume prints the pages in a specific order (2,1,4,3,6,5,8,7,... etc) so you can just pick up the whole wad and reprint on the back in the correct order and you get two sets. I suppose you still need to separate them out into two piles if that's what you're getting fed up with?

I think there was a duplex version as when we set it up it gave a duplex option.

Antway, I can't get it to do that double sided print thing, ie print 20 copies then replace output stack in upper feed tray. It just keeps printing from the lower cassette, without prompting when it should pause. Hope that makes sense, but basically I am a bit too non-techie to change the settings, I have tried though.