The Golf- Part 91

saint_stevo

A couple of times of late a light has come on on the dash, its orange and looks a bit like a picture of a boat with a thermometer for a sail....hard to explain.

Cant find my handbook to look it up, anyone know what i am talking about and if so what it means?

Also, when my clutch was changed a while back the mechanic said i needed my servo replacing, summit to do with brakes? Any idea what that does?!

Cheers

Stevo

The light is probably the oil temperature warning light. It's supposed to represent a sump-pan with a thermometer in it. The brake servo multiplies the force of your foot on the brake pedal, hydraulically, to intensify the force at the brake pad/disc. If it fails you'll have bugger all in the way of brakes.

The light is probably the oil temperature warning light. It's supposed to represent a sump-pan with a thermometer in it. The brake servo multiplies the force of your foot on the brake pedal, hydraulically, to intensify the force at the brake pad/disc. If it fails you'll have bugger all in the way of brakes.

Just make sure you're a quick hand on the handbrake, and hopefuilly you're not in heavy traffic and up some poor bleeder's bumper at the time. Otherwise they'll be a quick Part 92.

Most common servo's operate on differential air pressure. To test (this type) if it's ok, run the engine for a few minutes, switch it off and then apply the brake pedal several times. It should not "harden up" before the brake has been applied for less than three times. If you hear a continual hiss when switching off the engine, then either the internal diaphragm is split or a none return valve is faulty. It is not a practical proposition to repair a modern servo, although I have repaired the much older types.

I don't know for sure which type your car has.

Edited by Handyman

Pedal being firm is usually a good sign, but not if they're only firm right at the bottom of the travel. I'm at a bit of a loss as to the oil temp light, assuming it hasn't got an oil cooler and it's not an automatic gearbox. Keep an eye on that level mate. It should really only overheat if it's short on oil, assuming the water temps are fine.

In the absence of enough info to make a diagnosis and clutching at straws, I would suggest a check on the oil temperature light sender/sensor. This should be found somewhere on the engine crankcase/sump. If it has gone u/s it could cause the light to come on, without there being a fault. Don't assume that is the case without checking, as over hot oil indicates an overheating engine with the risk of expensive damage.I say this without personal knowledge of your model. The Golf's I worked on were much older models.

Should i be concerned about the Oil Temp light? i have checked the level since it started coming on and topped it up but still seems to come on?

I'm not sure it's actually your oil temp light btw, your 'boat' description sounds more like the coolant temparature warning light to me.

Kinda like this work of art:

|E
 |
~~o~~
~~~

Whereas the oil warning light looks like an old watering can with a drip pouring out, and lights up either yellow for oil level warning or red for oil pressure warning.

Do you have a picture of the light? Or can you describe where it is on the dash? ie first in top row of lights in centre of cluster / first in bottom row / left hand dial / right hand dial?

lol yes mate exactly like that!

its top left of the 'warning' lights in the middle section between the speed and revs.

think someone else mentioned coolant temp to me also. how does this over-heat?! how do i rectify? Wanna buy a golf?

A 10 year old ant-infested Golf that's surely been thrashed ragged? I'll get back to you on that...

Top left is definitely coolant warning light - it's a warning for both level or temp though. Check your coolant level, also check the colour (it should be a pinkish colour if the correct G12 coolant has been used). Could be coolant sensor, or it could be something serious. Any common factors to when the light has come on? When the engine's cold? When you've been thrashing it? Only round fast corners? Does it come on and stay on until you switch the engine off, or does the light go out again on its own? What temp is the engine temperature guage showing when this happens?

it comes on a couple of minutes into the journey, beeps a bit, flashes up and then goes off shortly after. Not had it for a few days now, shall check my coolant level

I had that exact same problem on an old Mk2 GTi I owned several years ago - the car would run fine for about 5 - 10 mins, the light would come on then would switch off again after a shorty while. Turned out to be a leak in the coolant system somewhere which was never properly fixed - was getting expensive so I traded the car in for a Leon Cupra...

If it's the coolant temperature your looking at it's a different ball game. This could be something like a lazy thermostat, allowing the engine to heat up too much before it finally opens and allows the engine to cool to it's correct temperature.( A closed thermostat blocks the passage of water to the radiator until it reaches the correct temperature and then should open to let the water flow to the radiator) Thermostats can become "lazy" (slow to open.) There are many other reasons for overheating but this seems to fit the symptoms described.

I am assuming that the coolant is topped up and there is no air left in the system.

Edited by Handyman