Clubs from years gone by in Southampton...

Son of Bob

I was just contributing to the TV ads thread and posted something about Charly by the Prodigy. It got me thinking back to the first time I heard it at the legendary club that was 'The Basement'.

The Basement was probably the first proper 'hardcore' dance club in town and I have many fine (if slightly distorted!) memories of the place. Did anyone else ever go there or does anyone remember any great clubs from years gone by?

You'd probably need to be comfortably into your 30's to remember the Basement by the way!

Dog and Duck followed by Thursdays. Bloody hell...

I used to go to Thursdays for years for DJ Hammy's indie disco on a Wednesday night. It was there that i heard Pro>gen by The Shamen and What Time is Love by the KLF for the first time, they tickled my balls, I can tell you, and freed me from my self-imposed status of '100% indie-kid'. The 90s were crazy times.

I used to go to Thursdays for years for DJ Hammy's indie disco on a Wednesday night. It was there that i heard Pro>gen by The Shamen and What Time is Love by the KLF for the first time, they tickled my balls, I can tell you, and freed me from my self-imposed status of '100% indie-kid'. The 90s were crazy times.

I don't recall Thursdays, but I remember Hammy used to do a Friday night with a big bloke (Neil?) at the old floating bridge club. Oh happy days ........

I wonder what Hammy's up to these days

I don't recall Thursdays, but I remember Hammy used to do a Friday night with a big bloke (Neil?) at the old floating bridge club. Oh happy days ........

I wonder what Hammy's up to these days

I am not of 'your age' but there is a DJ Hammy who plays at the Dorchester in Bevois Valley, I assume it's the same one!

I am not of 'your age' but there is a DJ Hammy who plays at the Dorchester in Bevois Valley, I assume it's the same one!

I can only guess that this Hammy you speak of is over 40? Otherwise why would you say you're not of my age :roll:

Does he still play indie/punk or has he matured?

P.S. You're as young as the woman you feel

lol

old skool

what about new yorks

mcluskies

old orientals

schooners

the beach

Was that the one upstairs in Ocean Village next to Los Marinos? Also Old Oriental, wasn't that a snooker club before it was OO? And wasn't The Beach the club they turned JFK's into?

What was the club called that was in St Marys church hall in about 1995? I don't think it was open for that long but i remember being off my head in there several times and loved it.

The Penguin Club (used to be Jolies), also with the Penguin Bar next door. Top place. Cert 18 did gigs there and I remember seeing Fabio & Grooverider, Doc Scott & Andy C, Danny Rampling, Tony De Vitt. Real shame when it closed, even more when someone burned it to the ground!

Anyone remember Bar Cuba, underground, not far from the Joiners?

As for Thursdays/Dog & Duck - I'm glad they blew that place up!

No-ones mentioned Schooners either. LOL, saw plenty of fights in there, ruffage!

The Penguin Club (used to be Jolies), also with the Penguin Bar next door. Top place. Cert 18 did gigs there and I remember seeing Fabio & Grooverider, Doc Scott & Andy C, Danny Rampling, Tony De Vitt. Real shame when it closed, even more when someone burned it to the ground!

Anyone remember Bar Cuba, underground, not far from the Joiners?

As for Thursdays/Dog & Duck - I'm glad they blew that place up!

No-ones mentioned Schooners either. LOL, saw plenty of fights in there, ruffage!

Yes they have!

Friday night was The Frog & Frigate , followed by a long/winding walk :rolleyes: up to Larbies in Bedford Place for a kebab, then around the corner to the Escape Club, as this was the only place you get into in a sweaty Frog & Frigate t-shirt and a pair of beer stained jeans.

Saturday night, on the pull at the Dog & Duck, followed by Thursdays, sometimes into The oriental, The London or Turpins, always gauranteed to cop a feel in there :D

Friday night was The Frog & Frigate , followed by a long/winding walk :rolleyes: up to Larbies in Bedford Place for a kebab, then around the corner to the Escape Club, as this was the only place you get into in a sweaty Frog & Frigate t-shirt and a pair of beer stained jeans.

Saturday night, on the pull at the Dog & Duck, followed by Thursdays, sometimes into The oriental, The London or Turpins, always gauranteed to cop a feel in there :D

Oh yeah completely forgot about the Old Oriental. They used to do the Ikon nights in there if I remember rightly. Got a few mashed memories of that place.

Ah yeah, i knew it as Jolies. Cheers for clearing that up.

I've spoke about the Frog and Frigate on here before (Ponty used to drink there too i think he mentioned) - what a brilliant drinking pub that was (still is?). I did a Delboy and fell through the bar there TWICE in one night.

I've spoke about the Frog and Frigate on here before (Ponty used to drink there too i think he mentioned) - what a brilliant drinking pub that was (still is?). I did a Delboy and fell through the bar there TWICE in one night.

Good memory, and good memories there too. From 96 to 2000 I was in there every Friday and every Saturday, almost without fail. Was a right laugh.

Never used to frequent the Dog and Duck that often but Thursdays was the regular Friday and Saturday night haunt for my lot circa 1992/1993.

Thursdays was a proper club; sticky floors, people being sick off the balconies, a guaranteed fight every night.

And I met my good lady wife in there too.

Also remember college nights at The Pier; Pernod night at 50p a shot stands out in particular, or at least the next day does......

Happy days.

:)

And the only time I went to Schooners was England-v-Columbia, World Cup 1998; we couldn't get in to Leisureworld so ended up down there.

What a great night; I had a premonition that Beckham was going to score the free-kick, so stood back and watched everyone else get soaked by flying pints.

And the fire alarm went off and everyone refused to leave.

And the only time I went to Schooners was England-v-Columbia, World Cup 1998; we couldn't get in to Leisureworld so ended up down there.

What a great night; I had a premonition that Beckham was going to score the free-kick, so stood back and watched everyone else get soaked by flying pints.

And the fire alarm went off and everyone refused to leave.

I was in there that night. Everywhere was rammed solid in town.