Need a laptop again

hypochondriac

HP 6735s Laptop, AMD Turion X2 Dual Core RM-72 2.1Ghz, 4GB 800DDR2, 250GB 15.4" DVD RW LightScribe Writer, WLAN, Webcam, Bluetooth 2.0+, Onboard ATI Radeon HD3200 Windows Vista Home Premium, MSO rdy

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152233

£419

If you got a few more quid about....

Samsung NP-R610-AS01UK Laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0GHZ, 3GB RAM 250GB HDD, 16" HD Screen, Blu-Ray, GeForce 9200M GS Webcam, Vista Home Premium

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150331

£609

Don't buy from Laptops Direct. Incredibly bad experience with them and poor customer service. Tossers.

I got a Toshiba Satellite P200 via them and had no problems. I got it on a Buy Now Pay in 6 Months credit deal ... settled up just before the 6 months so got the credit interest free :-) Great laptop too - recommended.

Thanks everyone. If you've got a spare 400 quid knocking around Ess I'll gladly convert :)

I would say its worth NOT buying a new laptop until you can save the extra to get a mac. Upgrade the ram to 4gb via ebay for only £45 too.

without wanting to turn this into a mac v pc debate, why?

I have to use a mac at work for marketing reasons every now and then. When I'm told I have to work on it, I always think "****. not the mac". Its just the amount of times I got to do something im perfectly used to doing on a pc that I cant do on a mac as quickly (or at all) is utterly infuriating!

Tbh it might just be me, ive been using windows platforms since I was about 6 (windows 3.11x, boo yea!) so im just set in my ways. I relax in front of a windows display, im just on edge in front of a mac.

I have to use a mac at work for marketing reasons every now and then. When I'm told I have to work on it, I always think "****. not the mac". Its just the amount of times I got to do something im perfectly used to doing on a pc that I cant do on a mac as quickly (or at all) is utterly infuriating!

Tbh it might just be me, ive been using windows platforms since I was about 6 (windows 3.11x, boo yea!) so im just set in my ways. I relax in front of a windows display, im just on edge in front of a mac.

Thats a completely fair response, I used to be the same, if not worse. Of course, you would equally agree that it's not the environment thats frustrating, its your lack of experience compared to Windows. Of course, if you took the plunge to learn working quickly on a mac you would find it much quicker and easier to work on. Of course the problem is theres no bloody way youre going to take a punt on spending that much on an OS and hardware, even with all the diehard windows guys who converted.

I was lucky, I aquired and ran a copy of leopard on PC hardware for a month, I also grilled many of my other mates to make sure I could switch and do the things I care about doing, workwise.

It took me about 3 weeks after getting my macbook to become more productive than i was on my pc, I hear on average it takes about a month.

Macs are not god-like as many would have you believe, they are not even "way better", they are just quite a bit better, of course this comes from the perfect integration between the OS and the hardware it runs on.

Remember, no-one hated macs more than me, I guarentee it. But at some point you have to put your pride and opinions to one side and think "right, im going to give it a proper go", and boy, im glad i did. Im not going to preach and tell people they must buy a mac, to be honest i couldnt give a crap, as long as ive got my mac im happy, but in the same way as i wouldnt care what someone else was eating in a restaurant, i would still recommend what i was eating, especially if i had tried everything else on the menu everyday for 15 years.

I got a Toshiba Satellite P200 via them and had no problems. I got it on a Buy Now Pay in 6 Months credit deal ... settled up just before the 6 months so got the credit interest free :-) Great laptop too - recommended.

Non-delivery on the required day, cancelled the order and bought from another supplier, howver they didn't cancel the Buy Now Pay in 9 Months credit. Letters turned up to settle, told them I'd cancelled months ago, nearly got taken to court over it all before they finally realised they'd screwed up. Pillocks.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't buy from Laptops Direct. Incredibly bad experience with them and poor customer service. Tossers.

I'll second that!!

I ordered from them for one of my staff. Ordered on a Monday and was told 2-3 days for delivery. Phoned on the Friday to chase the order, and was told to call back on Saturday as the guy I needed wasn't in. Phoned on Saturday about 10 times and no-one answered [figured that was good as they were busy]. Phoned back on Monday to be told they don't work on Saturdays!!!! Cancelled the order straight away, and the only thing they managed to get right was the refund!

Selling my alienware because I need something a little more portable now. I reckon I'll get about 300-400. I need a laptop which is portable but still decent specs. Any recommendations?

I thought all laptops were meant to be portable. If you really want something extremely portable, you might try this one.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_9001.htm

Of course, it is a notebook.