Cars that have aged badly and look very odd now

TopGun

How far back are you suggesting TG..? I mean, the Model T Ford is a bit odd looking now, but that's ancient history.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I think it's easier to think of quite elderly cars that don't look dated. This one wouldn't look out of place with a few modern extras.

1185485182CitroenDS23CabKL_preview.jpg

Unbelievably, this is from 1972. Mind you, nearly all Citroens looked 30 years ahead of their time back then.

Tell you what, I'll pop this on a new thread.

I guess I was thinking 1990 onwards so that you still see a few of what ever they are on the roads.

The Maestro, for example, was built until 1994 and is just so bad looking. What were they thinking about?

Yeah, but for 1983 [note your pic], that was a reasonably good looking car. And no, I didn't have one. The Saloon version - the Montego, was awful. The shape just didn't work at all.

Volvo 740 - Ooer.

800px-Volvo_740_GL.jpg

My old man had one...not once in the ten or so years that he had it do i remember anyone expressing admiration for it's looks...as such i would say it hasn't aged badly...but has always looked ugly as sin...

However it did run forever...a real trooper...

Mrs Haystacks was regretting the day her husband brought a smaller car

Oh le god, not another person writing brought, when they mean bought, as in purchased. I've heard about three people in the last week saying this. I swear I'll punch the next person who can't speak or write more than two sentences without screwing up. :smt076

Perhaps I should make it my mission in life to teach all the brought people. A kind of, bring and buy education. ;)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Those old volvos were ugly as hell, yes. But I'll add, as above, that they run forever. Also, they would possibly beat an Abrams M1A1 in a game of chicken...

I had a low mileage 240 which I let my son-in-law drive after he had just passed his test. He was waiting at a side junction when a Citroen Saxo came down the road and skidded into his FOS.

Result one totally written-off Saxo and £100 to replace the headlight on the Volvo.

Those old volvos were ugly as hell, yes. But I'll add, as above, that they run forever. Also, they would possibly beat an Abrams M1A1 in a game of chicken...

Did anyone see a crash test conducted by 5th Gear, involving a Volvo 940 and a bang upto date Renault Modus.

The Volvo was one of the last cars, with crumple zones, designed without the major use of computers. But was always considered extremely safe under Volvo crash tests. The Renault Modus is just a modern computer aided design car with air-bags.

So they ran the cars at a 60mph closing speed, slightly off centre so that they hit on the driver's side of front. The Volvo collapsed like a good crumple zone car should, and so did the Renault. But the drivers cab in the Volvo also buckled inward, whereas the Renault was almost totally intact. It was quite an eye opener.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

I had a low mileage 240 which I let my son-in-law drive after he had just passed his test. He was waiting at a side junction when a Citroen Saxo came down the road and skidded into his FOS.

Result one totally written-off Saxo and £100 to replace the headlight on the Volvo.

Back in the early 90's, my sister had a very old SAAB 99. One of the first ones. She was merrily pottering along when a Nissan Bluebird taxi pulled out in front of her.

Result was that the Nissan driver's door was ripped off, the taxi driver and driver's seat ended up in the road, and the front offside wheel/drive assembly was ripped away completely, and rolled up the road.

The old SAAB had its nearside composite bumper pushed in a bit, and the headlamp glass/flasher was broken. After the necessary insurance bits and bobs were done, my sister drove the SAAB back home. It was fine. SAAB made tough cars in those days.

• 12 years later...
58 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

It did have an even uglier brother

spacer.png

As yes , the Vanden Plas - show your neighbour's you're successful with a cheap grille and some wood on the door cappings. A perfect symbol of Britains decline post WW2.

10 hours ago, kyle04 said:

Not quite adhering to the topic description as it was bad in the beginning, but this must be the winner (the car that was going to save BL) :

allegro.jpg

Funnily enough, I saw one of these today, pristine condition, in classic light brown poo colour, in Llanberis. It did look perfect though, so full marks to the owner. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...