Old Cars That Still Turn Heads

St Landrew

Didn't want to hijack TGs thread, so I'll put this gorgeous Citroen here:

This one wouldn't look out of place with a few modern extras.

1185485182CitroenDS23CabKL_preview.jpg

Unbelievably, this is from 1972. Mind you, nearly all Citroens looked 30+ years ahead of their time back then.

Edited by St Landrew

When i win the lottery my first two cars will be Lamborghini's a Gallardo and then the Countach...

As far as i'm concerned it's beautiful from every conceivable angle...and takes me back to having car posters on the walls as a kid...

lamborghini-countach-lp400-s.jpg

Lamborghini_Countach.jpg

Two weeks later...i will be found dead in said Countach in a field...sh:t happens...

The Countach certainly turns heads still, there's no doubt there.

It's just a shame the designer only had a ruler in his pencil case.

It's part of the appeal as far as i'm concerned...angular and powerful looking...

It's hardly a TR7 is it?

Still different strokes for different folks i guess...

Apparently the countach is an awful, awful car only good for being on posters. Hot, uncomfortable, impossible to drive at slow speeds, need to be a weightlifter to change gear etc.

But its definitely an iconic image and the DS is beautiful even now.

Heralds and Vitesses look good when you see nice ones about. It's funny how the Herald 1200 looks so non-aggressive but the 13/60 (pictured) and the Vitesse have completely different attitude faces!

herald.jpg

Edited by TopGun

Heralds and Vitesses look good when you see nice ones about.

And talking about Triumphs, how about this beauty..? The Italia 2000 Coupe:

EDIT: Sadly, this is nothing like as good as the original picture I placed on here. But it's the best replacement I can find:

2416491_1846_full.jpg

Original picture is back, but too big to put here. Here's the link: http://www.oldtimergala.de/content/produktfotos/1186435917Triumph_Ital.jpg

Yes, this is the company that gave you the TR7, the Toledo, and Acclaim. But this is Aston Martin/Jaguar gorgeous.

Edited by St Landrew

Apparently the countach is an awful, awful car only good for being on posters. Hot, uncomfortable, impossible to drive at slow speeds, need to be a weightlifter to change gear etc.

But its definitely an iconic image and the DS is beautiful even now.

Think Top Gear did a sketch on the Countach a while back. James May drove it and the general analysis was along the lines of, "never meet your childhood hero's"

How about the Lotus Esprit? Will spend half it's life in the local Kwikfit, but still looks good IMO.

1.jpg

I love old SAABs for their toughness and quirky looks. I had 2 900s. One an injection 4-door saloon, and the other a turbocharged 5-door hatchback. Both lovely, but I still think the old 99 really looks the part. A beefy mid-sized car that looks great and will run forever.

800px-Saab_99_EMS_1974_%28UK_Spec%29.jpg

This is a 99 EMS from 1974. If it hasn't been involved in an accident, what's the betting it's still running..? Think I'll check that number plate out.

EDIT: Wahay, it still exists..! Was last taxed in 2000. Bet it's locked up somewhere, hopefully NOT rotting away. Hate to see that happening.

Edited by St Landrew

• 1 month later...
All you do is pop Jaguar XK 150 into Google Images and you'll find loads of pictures. I thought this poster was a little different. Very appropriate of the era. Can anyone spot the slightly odd thing about it though..?

jaguar_xk_150_roadster_poster.jpg

The car is LHD but is driving on the left?

Good spot..! And with GB number plates. The rules of the road are no boundary to the fantasy world.

How can you possibly say they're GB number plates? Perhaps the picture is supposed to be giving the illusion that the Jag is overtaking the vehicle from which it takes its point of view.

Because they are old silver on black plates. And illustrations from the era do not generally suggest a pictured car is overtaking one with the view. That's a modern perspective.

I didn't realise the UK was the only country to have silver and black plates. Also, didn't you overtake anything back in the middle ages then StL? ;)

It's a British car. Back then, Jaguar were extremely British [it was the early 1950's I believe], as were every British car manufacturer, if you get my meaning. The whole British car culture looked to the British market, and little else. Which incidentally, is probably why they failed, but I digress. That's a British countryside in the picture. The car is driving on the left, and is quite clearly LHD, if for no other reason than that, back then, a woman could never have driven a car while a man was available. Unthinkable..! I, myself, think the picture was originally the other way round, and just possibly [although it wouldn't be the British thing to do] was overtaking the viewer.

In that way, it fits. Anyway, that's how I see it from the middle ages. ;)

Edited by St Landrew

It's a British car. Back then, Jaguar were extremely British [it was the early 1950's I believe], as were every British car manufacturer, if you get my meaning. The whole British car culture looked to the British market, and little else. Which incidentally, is probably why they failed, but I digress. That's a British countryside in the picture. The car is driving on the left, and is quite clearly LHD, if for no other reason than that, back then, a woman could never have driven a car while a man was available. Unthinkable..! I, myself, think the picture was originally the other way round, and just possibly [although it wouldn't be the British thing to do] was overtaking the viewer.

In that way, it fits. Anyway, that's how I see it from the middle ages. ;)

I thought the pic might have been flipped too. But you wouldn't make an ad with the car going from right to left IMO.