18 Sailors fail drug test

Thedelldays

On a serious note, this does not shock me at all..in the current climate of "not caring" within the forces people....

due to being stiched up over and over by the MOD, lads (and lasses) generally dont seem to bothered when they are in their first 4 years of service and more and more leave as soon as they can..

sad times...

Guest Hacienda
Class A too :shock:

Cocaine after a run ashore in Brazil.

SIB flew out and boarded just before sailing I believe (although maybe wrong)

DD - is this 'the norm' nowadays?

I have a mate who has just left HMS Southampton as a Lt Cmdr. Was chatting with him earlier about it today and he is not surprised.

He thinks it's ridiculous the Navy and other forces hide behind a load of whitewash about forces drug use being minimal compared to civilian drug use and puts it down to very deliberate limited testing procedures.

He doesn't agree with DD's view though as he thinks most junior naval ratings do pretty well financially as they get better pay than they would in civilian life in most cases, their families get subsidised housing and they learn a trade as an artificer or whatever. And they get to travel the world.

Nope.

When you work in the industry you notice it more ;)

Lol - you're saying cocaine is more prevalent in pubs than alcohol?

I'm not denying it is widespread but that is clearly not true.

I reckon Real Ale use is more prevalent than Cocaine use.

No word of a lie ;)

I guess you may be referring to staff as well as patrons WSS. It's probably easier to get away with having consumed a few drugs than it is to be plastered on the job. Particularly in clubs. It's easier to do also.

When I did my recruiting course 20 odd years ago for the RAF we had to ask the following questions:

Have you ever taken drugs?

Are you homesexual?

Are you a communist?

If you said yes to any of those you automatically didn't get in. Nowadays it seems it's a prerequisite to say yes to at least the first 2 questions. The mob has softened its' approach to drugs over the last few years and smoking cannabis is no longer a major deal compared to taking cocaine. 20 years one whiff of a joint was at least a few weeks in Colchester (army prison) and kicked out.

DD - is this 'the norm' nowadays?

It's been the norm for years in the armed forces. They have been doing random checks for years where a drugs team go to a unit very early and seal the barracks. Every one of the armed forces in that barracks is then tested and in all cases that I know of, several members have been proved guilty. Not all are sacked though. The most recent case before I left the forces in 1997 was the previous year (1996) in Mill Hill north London, when seven soldiers were tested positive. I know this was a long time ago but shows it has been going on for years and with todays society being drugs orientated it will continue.

When I did my recruiting course 20 odd years ago for the RAF we had to ask the following questions:

Have you ever taken drugs?

Are you homesexual?

Are you a communist?

If you said yes to any of those you automatically didn't get in. Nowadays it seems it's a prerequisite to say yes to at least the first 2 questions. The mob has softened its' approach to drugs over the last few years and smoking cannabis is no longer a major deal compared to taking cocaine. 20 years one whiff of a joint was at least a few weeks in Colchester (army prison) and kicked out.

It was 15 years back but I had two senior MOD personnel visit my house to ask me the same questions about a guy I know in the armed forces who was being being transferred to more "delicate" operations (not the same guy I mentioned above). Whilst I answered the questions honestly (as far as I knew) and with a straight bat, I felt the communist tendency ones were ****ing laughable! I could understand the drug and homosexual ones a bit more (hidden homosexuality being open to blackmail).

I guess things are a bit different now as mentioned by Spitfire but am sure that sensitive postings are still vetted.

Slight exageration methinks ;)

I'm not so sure Benjii, that stuff is everywhere these days and you'd be surprised at the type who actively use it.

People associate it with lads and people in their twenties but it's not the case and to some people in positions of power it's as widely used as an aspirin for when they are feeling a bit run down and need a quick mood pick up.