US election

revolution saint

Time for another one I think. So what's everyone think? Especially interested in what people in the US think?

Personally I think McCain will win. I think America is basically a republican country and with little Bush out of the way it's OK to vote republican again. I hope I'm wrong though.

Politics is politics the world over, and just like the UK, I really can't see the difference between what is on offer by either candidate - apart from the obvious and the chance of the first black President....

does anyone know what time obama's speech is tonight? i think it will be a truly special moment and go down in history so want to watch?

I was in Berlin when he was speaking and went to see him and it was incredible, he may not have the depth and experience, but listening him speak he is second to none. I really hope he wins, because at least in the short term it will be a good thing for America in the World, where as if it was Mccain i think it will not only be a huge disappointment to all democrats but the world aswell. America needs Obama for its world relations as much as anything imho.

Sadly though i think Mccain may scrape it, due to the shocking racism that still underlines the american lower and in some cases middle white class.

Opinions ?

Time for another one I think. So what's everyone think? Especially interested in what people in the US think?

Personally I think McCain will win. I think America is basically a republican country and with little Bush out of the way it's OK to vote republican again. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think you're right about McCain RS although the Dems have done a good unification job at their show. Both Hils and Bill put pretty good efforts in there I thought. Good to see the old dog (Bill) can be roused occasionally from his slumbers! ;)

I also think the choice of Biden is fairly astute, perhaps a little more conservative and obviously older than Obama, so a good running mate.

Be interesting to see what the Reps come up with next.

Bring on Saint George, I say...

Politics is politics the world over, and just like the UK, I really can't see the difference between what is on offer by either candidate - apart from the obvious and the chance of the first black President....

Nobody seems to realise that even the Roman Empire had black emperors... it ain't that new!

Randomly got talking to an American in the pub last week and he said without any embarrassment or shame that Obama would not win because he is black and he and many others would not vote for a black man. He also said the same of women so the democrats were screwed either way.

If by some chance Obama does win he assured me he would be shot. He was from a largely republican state of Colorado so opionions will obviously differ eslsewhere. Interesting actually that the democrats hold their convention in Denver, which I assume is quite a republican area.

I don't quite understand the months of Hilary slagging Obama off only to sickenly say how he should be the next president in the blink of an eye, all very very odd.

Its very simple, McCain will have a better chance now so that means she could be the Democratic candidate in four years instead of eight. But she would never get that nomination if she didn't "support" Obama now.

I don't quite understand the months of Hilary slagging Obama off only to sickenly say how he should be the next president in the blink of an eye, all very very odd.

No difference between that and the Labour or Tory party electing a new leader. Numerous candidates compete, one wins, the rest close ranks again.

Sarah Palin as running mate for McCain. Interesting counterbalance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7588435.stm

Not good news. Exactly what McCain needed - a bit of charisma, youth and a more hardlined conservative...oh and she's a she which will win back fickle Hilldog fans. Was hoping he'd opt for the Mormon nut Romney, who I think would have been exposed very quickly if the Dems were clever enough.

I like Biden but I fear he's not going to be strong enough to stand up and fight the Rep smear and scare machine similarly to how Kerry wimped out. We'll see.

Edited by LVSaint

Randomly got talking to an American in the pub last week and he said without any embarrassment or shame that Obama would not win because he is black and he and many others would not vote for a black man. He also said the same of women so the democrats were screwed either way.

If by some chance Obama does win he assured me he would be shot. He was from a largely republican state of Colorado so opionions will obviously differ eslsewhere. Interesting actually that the democrats hold their convention in Denver, which I assume is quite a republican area.

And these people are the self appointed protectors of the free world.

Maybe a cynical view, but one which I share.

Those rednecks won't put up with Obama for long.

Will they storm Washington? I can see a US version of a Jarrow march orchestrated from Idaho because their choice of candidate wasn't elected...

I have also been assured by several American work colleagues that if Obama wins then he will not be around for long before being assasinated, though they are primarily from the south, which might explain their thinking. In fact a few of them have him marked down as a Muslim sympathising communist who say they will leave the country if he is elected. The more enlightened work mates, see the election being very close to call, also their election is a very complicated process, and though either candidate may win the popular vote majority that does not necessarily mean they will be elected president. I think this election though has for once brought foreign policy of the States to the forefront of political debate as well as domestic issues which is a good thing, though again Obama was heavily criticised in America for his meetings in Europe with various heads of state, though personally I think it was a good move to build relationships ahead of time if he is elected.

Politicians are in politics for one reason only, themselves. I've got no time for any of them, no matter what party they belong to.

Basically it's a 'Who's the best bull****ter competition' at the end of the day.....with a nice pension thrown in at the end of it ££££:smt023

Tbh i don't give a flying f*ck about the american election. i don't really give much thought about our elections, does my head it in that our media can't stop going on about some other countries elections.

Well it's quite simple - don't pay attention to it or reply to threads on forums. No one asked you to contribute absolutely nothing to the debate.

I have also been assured by several American work colleagues that if Obama wins then he will not be around for long before being assasinated, though they are primarily from the south, which might explain their thinking. In fact a few of them have him marked down as a Muslim sympathising communist who say they will leave the country if he is elected. The more enlightened work mates, see the election being very close to call, also their election is a very complicated process, and though either candidate may win the popular vote majority that does not necessarily mean they will be elected president. I think this election though has for once brought foreign policy of the States to the forefront of political debate as well as domestic issues which is a good thing, though again Obama was heavily criticised in America for his meetings in Europe with various heads of state, though personally I think it was a good move to build relationships ahead of time if he is elected.

It's definitely a problem and to be honest assassinating Obama would be the worst thing the weirdo yanks could do (that's not all americans, just the strange ones) ...but then I suppose anyone who contemplates assasination probably doesn't think rationally. It's hard to believe that anyone would mark a major player in either party down as a communist though - do they actually know what a communist is?

Well it's quite simple - don't pay attention to it or reply to threads on forums. No one asked you to contribute absolutely nothing to the debate.

It's definitely a problem and to be honest assassinating Obama would be the worst thing the weirdo yanks could do (that's not all americans, just the strange ones) ...but then I suppose anyone who contemplates assasination probably doesn't think rationally. It's hard to believe that anyone would mark a major player in either party down as a communist though - do they actually know what a communist is?

Well they tend to lump anyone who has slightly 'social welfare policies' in the 'communist' bracket

Palin's 17 year old daughter is pregnant... that's amusing. Not what McCain would call a good start, I imagine!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7592636.stm

If you think that is shocking, you should read THIS: Sarah Palin is NOT the mother of her fifth child Trig, but the GRANDMOTHER

There once was a man named McCain,

who had the whole White House to gain,

but he was quite a hobbyist

of boning his lobbyist,

so much for his '08 campaign.