Two questions, urgent answers please!!

Robsk II

OK - I am having a nasty problemo with my Peugeot Partner.

Question 1

In short, I think something is ******ed with the clutch. Probably not the cable, maybe some bearings?

Symptoms - Yesterday, the clutch pedal became a little squeaky, a bit creaky around the upper extents. Drives OK, in handling terms and so on, and I can still change gear, but the issue got progressively worse. It seems that when idling or at lower revs particularly, the engine was making some irregular sounds, so I checked the belts but they look OK. The problem got worse, and on the way back from a meeting this morning (was worried I wouldn't get there, let alone get back..) it was worse than ever. Now, pushing the clutch at all makes it squeal, and, while the engine itself sounds ok, there is something making a high pitched noise - again more noticably at lower revs. Also, the idling has been a little off for a while, perhaps, but this could be unrelated.

Any ideas? It really is sounding quite ****ed.

Question 2

Any good, reliable garages around Inner Avenue? My old man reckons that Stag gate place might be worth checking out, not based on his own experience but the fact that they seem established enough and do say 'repairs' rather than just 'replace', if you get me. I have a place out towards Romsey I always use, as I know they're good, but I'm not at all sure it'll get that far. I have breakdown cover of course, but I'd rather not use it.. I just want to be able to get there and let them have a look initially, offer an opinion, and maybe fix if they can.

Robsk, wait for Handyman to appear. I think I've got his e-mail address somewhere. He's not paid the £5 as far as I'm aware, but he could give you the advice you need in one post. I'll e-mail him and see.

My own 5 eggs opinion is that it is the clutch release bearing that is shot.

Question 1

In short, I think something is ******ed with the clutch. Probably not the cable, maybe some bearings?

Symptoms - Yesterday, the clutch pedal became a little squeaky, a bit creaky around the upper extents. Drives OK, in handling terms and so on, and I can still change gear, but the issue got progressively worse. It seems that when idling or at lower revs particularly, the engine was making some irregular sounds, so I checked the belts but they look OK. The problem got worse, and on the way back from a meeting this morning (was worried I wouldn't get there, let alone get back..) it was worse than ever. Now, pushing the clutch at all makes it squeal, and, while the engine itself sounds ok, there is something making a high pitched noise - again more noticably at lower revs. Also, the idling has been a little off for a while, perhaps, but this could be unrelated.

Question 2

Any good, reliable garages around Inner Avenue? My old man reckons that Stag gate place might be worth checking out, not based on his own experience but the fact that they seem established enough and do say 'repairs' rather than just 'replace', if you get me. I have a place out towards Romsey I always use, as I know they're good, but I'm not at all sure it'll get that far. I have breakdown cover of course, but I'd rather not use it.. I just want to be able to get there and let them have a look initially, offer an opinion, and maybe fix if they can.

If you have breakdown cover, why not call them out - claim you can't get the car going at all.

No doubt they will diagnose the problem for you, and probably recommend the best place to go to get it fixed - if they can't do it for you for nothing ;)

Question 1

Question 2

That definitely sounds like a clutch release bearing gone very dry, seized up and worn out. The only remedy is replacement. The gearbox (or engine) has to come out to replace the bearing. Replace the clutch at the same time, as it is bound to be at least partly worn and it is false economy not to when removing the gearbox. Anyway, if the bearing has seized it will have damaged the clutch release "fingers".

Hope that helps.

Edited by St Landrew
User asked me to change a couple of words.

That definitely sounds like a clutch release bearing gone very dry and probably worn out or even siezed up. The only remedy is replacement. The gearbox (or engine) has to come out to replace the bearing. Replace the clutch at the same time, as it is bound to be at least partly worn and it is false economy not to when removing the gearbox. Anyway, if the bearing has siezed it will have damaged the clutch release "fingers".

Hope that helps.

Sounds expensive.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Yep, thrust bearing gone. I seem to remember a good place in Portswood/Bevois Valley, with "Clutch" in the name somewhere, but I'm going back awhile.

That would be Mr Clutch, between Portswood and Swaythling. They managed to do a good job of my father's imported Twingo a few years ago.

That would be Mr Clutch, between Portswood and Swaythling. They managed to do a good job of my father's imported Twingo a few years ago.

That's the place. That name occurred to me but it sounded so twee that I dismissed it. They used to be very competitive but I haven't been for awhile, like I said.

There's a great garage on a street corner on the lower end of Shirley High Street which is run by a bloke called Bruce who has been there 35 years himself having taken it over from the previous guy called Stan who died about 15 years ago.

Not sure of the name but it was an ex-Renault franchise from the 70s and for years it still had the Renault yellow paint. It also had a showroom with a load of dusty old vintage cars that had to remain there for some weird reason to do with somebody's will. It's probably different looking now.

My family has used the garage since the early 70s and Bruce really knows what he is doing and is an honest bloke also. Recommend it to anyone who has any car that they don't want to take to a franchised garage.

Sounds like you've got plenty of recommendations but I would add Nandrews to that list, just off Shirley High Street... I forget which road exactly they're on but it's the town end, near the car wash place. Better halfs family have used them for years, always done a good job and good value.

Shrek uses a place on Empress Road and always speaks highly of them too but he's in Brazil at the mo and I can't remember the name.

Alright, I've phoned a few places - a new 3 part clutch and all the work with a 2 year / 20K guarantee - £320.

Sounds sort of OK to me, any thoughts?

For today's prices that doesn't seem too bad. You want to make sure that doesn't climb for any reason, i.e. it's a guaranteed price. Remember, once they've got your car up on the ramp with the gearbox out, you're in their hands. You don't want to be hearing the.. oh, we've found this extra thing and it's going to cost... codswallop, unless it is totally justified.

And no leaking shock absorbers either..! ;)

OK, so how much do you charge!!? :)

OK, so how much do you charge!!? :)

Sorry Robsk. Just seen your post. I can't take on work just now.

Any extra work in the job seems to me to be possibly only two things. That the clutch release fork could be damaged by the release bearing falling to bits. ( I've seen that in the past) or that a badly worn driven (friction plate) had damaged the flywheel face. I doubt that has happened in your case because of your reluctance to driving the car in it's present state. It usually only happens when people disregard the warning signs and carry on driving.