Best batteries?

hamster

What power options would the experienced snappers recomend for my Pentax K110D please?

I like using rechargeables, but mine don't seem to have the oomph and run down fairly quickly. I don't really want to spend a fortune on throw-aways though. Cheers in advance people.

Edited by hamster
Typo

Pentax K110D?

Anyhow, Are you talking about AA rechargables? Minty and I use Vapex/Vapextech in our flashguns.

NiMH @ 2900mAh was the highest rating last time I looked on eBay. Any idea what capacity and composition (NiCd, NiMH...) you're currently using?

Pentax K110D?

Anyhow, Are you talking about AA rechargables? Minty and I use Vapex/Vapextech in our flashguns.

NiMH @ 2900mAh was the highest rating last time I looked on eBay. Any idea what capacity and composition (NiCd, NiMH...) you're currently using?

Ypu spotted my intentional eror, yes it's a Pentax.

The current rechargeables are NiCad Encore (cheapy) 700mAh. All greek to me, but reading your post, mine must be pretty useless compared to what you and Minty use. I will check out some prices, cheers.

A layman's explanation of the specs re Nimh/Nicad would be handy though if you can spare the time to expalin, as I can then recomend to the people in the camera club at work, and they will love me.

I found this site Al: http://www.vapextech.co.uk/acatalog/High_Power_Consumer_Batteries.html

which ones would you recomend please? Some say 'New technology', dos that mean they are better?

Those are the ones. I'm afraid I have no idea what it means by "New technology" though.

Don't buy a rapid charger as these don't give you such a full charge; much better on a slow trickle charge over night rather than blasting them full of charge in a under an hour.

The "Cd" in NiCd refers to cadmium which is a toxic element and a pain in the arse to dispose of in an environmentally friendly manner. It's older technology which suffered considerably from "memory effect" if you didn't discharge and charge fully resulting in a reduction in capacity. As you can probably gather, the fact that you only started with 700mAh suggests you didn't exactly have a huge amount of capacity to begin with compared to the newer batteries available now. Bad times. :(

NiMH or Nickel Metal Hydride is capable of much higher capacity, less environmentally toxic and less susceptible to "memory effect". Good times! :)

Edited by Al de Man

Cheers Al, ordered 8 tonight. I'm pretty sure my charger is a trickle type

You're welcome.

I will stick the old 700mAh in the wife's.

I'm not saying anything.

Going back to the "New Technology" you mentioned earlier, I've read into it a little and it refers to the fact that older NiMH had a tendency to self-discharge over time which is why you have to charge them before their first use. Even if the manufacturers charged them, they'd be useless by the time they'd shipped them to the stores and sat on the shelfs for a while. Obviously, the same is true if they're sat in the bottom of your camera bag unused for any length of time but shouldn't be an issue if you're constantly using them.

You're welcome.

I'm not saying anything.

Going back to the "New Technology" you mentioned earlier, I've read into it a little and it refers to the fact that older NiMH had a tendency to self-discharge over time which is why you have to charge them before their first use. Even if the manufacturers charged them, they'd be useless by the time they'd shipped them to the stores and sat on the shelfs for a while. Obviously, the same is true if they're sat in the bottom of your camera bag unused for any length of time but shouldn't be an issue if you're constantly using them.

So when I get my new ones, I will be able to say that mine are fine, but my wife's discharge? Maybe not?

Cheers again

Don't be such a tight git and buy her a new set of batteries as well.

Are you suggesting that I am so tight that she will get a quick discharge? I am shocked Al, shocked.

Can we stop now, as I am getting battery jokes bombarding my frontal lobe.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen this in my inbox.

The price of £6.09 for a charger, four AAs (2500mAh) and two AAAs (850mAh) is only valid from noon on Wednesday and lasts for 24 hours or until stocks expire.

Delivery is a fiver so you may want to spread the cost across getting some DVD media or ink etc.

I've just seen this in my inbox.

The price of £6.09 for a charger, four AAs (2500mAh) and two AAAs (850mAh) is only valid from noon on Wednesday and lasts for 24 hours or until stocks expire.

Delivery is a fiver so you may want to spread the cost across getting some DVD media or ink etc.

Cheers Al