Empire: Total War

St Marco

Got the game today, fecking awesome. Nothing better then going back through history and actually defeating our american cousins on their soil ;)

Naval combat is one of the best thing's i have ever seen in a game. The whole water and weather effects are breathtaking.

Seems to be doing very well reviews wise to, so far 93% score

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/empiretotalwar

If you have a pc able to run it and you like the Total War series i recomend it.

There is a demo for free on Steam at the mo.

Can view the trailer here, amazing

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/empire_total-war_trailer?size=large

Edited by St Marco

Why is it that Vista is worse at playing games than XP? Really confused.

(This is born out of trying to play Empire and failing due to not meeting the system requirements. Its happened with a few games).

I have got it to load but it keeps crashing. I'm hoping its only because of the amount of RAM that I have (2GB should be enough for any game using a decent OS. Having to order more is :-x)

And before anybody starts I know that 32bit vista won't recognise 4GB. Another shocking flaw for an os that uses so f**king much!!

Grrr... Roll on Windows 7 (surely it can't be any worse).

My Vista 32-bit SP1 detects my 4GB memory....

It doesn't use all 4GB, even if it does detect it.

First and foremost, a 64-bit machine can address more memory directly without using complex indexing or register-addressing schemes. Because internal memory is several orders of magnitude faster than storage, combining a 64-bit processing architecture with more RAM lets a processor pull more data into memory and operate on it directly, increasing performance manifold.

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

It doesn't use all 4GB, even if it does detect it.

First and foremost, a 64-bit machine can address more memory directly without using complex indexing or register-addressing schemes. Because internal memory is several orders of magnitude faster than storage, combining a 64-bit processing architecture with more RAM lets a processor pull more data into memory and operate on it directly, increasing performance manifold.

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

What he said.

I have no idea what any of this means (and don't much care). I just know it is an issue with windows which seems pathetic for a product that is the "market leader".:mad:

My current computer's too ****e for Medieval II to work properly, so not much chance of this doing so. Damn shame, they're my favourite series of games ever. One day...

Likewise, I absolutely loved Rome plus the barbarians expansion pack, but if Empire is too much of a pain to run on Vista, I might have to give it a miss until I get Windows 7.

It is running fine on my pc and i have vista. The game is amazing but there are a few bugs which are sometimes a bit annoying. Like your have a battle, after the battle you are then sometimes put in another battle against no-one. If you sim that battle you can end up losing troops like they have been killed fighting ghosts, very annoying.

The one good thing about all that is Valve put the game on steam so that it gets updates which fix those things. Most of the problems have already been fixed but a few still remain.

I guess that happens with every pc game, it takes time to fix everything. But it doesn't ruin the game, it is so much fun. Personally i would say it is the best game i have played this year thus far.

I downloaded the demo for this at the weekend through Steam (which took bloody ages), and even though I'd consider my pc to be of reasonably good spec (quad core phenom, 4GB Ram & 512MB PCI-e card) it still seemed to stutter a bit and run quite slowly.

I would quite like to buy the game, as the demo seems very good and I love the Total War series anyway. But I don't want to have to turn down all of the effects, is this possibly just a Vista issue? or does the game really need a better spec machine than I've got? (I remember not really getting much out of Doom3 when that came out because it needed such a high spec machine to run)

I downloaded the demo for this at the weekend through Steam (which took bloody ages), and even though I'd consider my pc to be of reasonably good spec (quad core phenom, 4GB Ram & 512MB PCI-e card) it still seemed to stutter a bit and run quite slowly.

I would quite like to buy the game, as the demo seems very good and I love the Total War series anyway. But I don't want to have to turn down all of the effects, is this possibly just a Vista issue? or does the game really need a better spec machine than I've got? (I remember not really getting much out of Doom3 when that came out because it needed such a high spec machine to run)

I'm not sure to be honest. I have now received my 4GB upgrade but am still having issues and lots of others seem to be in the same boat

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=469

On my machine although the game loads and appears to be running perfectly it freezes every time it tries to load a naval battle or during the turn end sequence it runs through all of the factions absolutely fine until it reaches the thirteen colonies when it simply freezes and is therefore unplayable.

Again although it is a year or so old now I consider my machine to be not totally **** spec and am pretty dissapointed that its struggling:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo processor T7500 (2.2 GHz and 800 MHz FSB)

Memory: 2 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (2x1024 MB), maximum 4 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM

HD Capacity: 200 GB Serial ATA 5400 rpm hard disk drive

Display: 15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) Widescreen X-black LCD screen

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS graphics processing unit with Total Available Graphics Memory of 1023 MB and dedicated Video Memory of 256 MB

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Apparently there could be an issue with the latest nVidia drivers:

http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=517&nav=0%2C6%2C165

Apparently though, the demo doesn't really use the dual/quad core processors either, whereas the full game does. This looks promising:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4524356#post4524356

The game looks excellent & I may well invest in it...provided my machine will play it.

I have Win XP Professional 64-bit edition, AMD dual core 3.21 GHz (black edition) processor, 4GB of Crucial RAM, Zotac 8800GT OC (at factory) 512 RAM graphics card.

Will it play alright on XP 64-bit Pro? Anyone?

The game looks excellent & I may well invest in it...provided my machine will play it.

I have Win XP Professional 64-bit edition, AMD dual core 3.21 GHz (black edition) processor, 4GB of Crucial RAM, Zotac 8800GT OC (at factory) 512 RAM graphics card.

Will it play alright on XP 64-bit Pro? Anyone?

I've been reading through this thread a bit more, and it seems that the general consensus is that dual/quad processors should be absolutely fine, and your setup doesn't look too dissimilar to some of those quoted in the thread. Minimum spec according to Sega:

2.4Ghz single core processor

256MB Gfx card (DX9 compaitble)

1GB RAM (For XP, 2GB if using Vista)

I've just run the demo on the highest graphics detail possible on the Brandywine Creek battle and apart from a little bit of a slow load, the battle seemed quite smooth, so I've decided to take the plunge and buy it.

I was looking at buying the elite units edition through steam, but they seemed to have screwed up the pricing:

Empire Total War = £39.99

Empire Total War Elite Units = £n/a

Individual price = £39.99

Package Price = £44.99

Cost to you = £44.99 :confused:

Thankfully Amazon have it for £34.99 :D