Best Vietnam film

saintkiptanui

Full Metal Jacket was rubbish IMO.

Best one was Platoon for me.

Followed by some distance by apocalypse now.

Deer Hunter had a brilliant part in Vietnam - but got a bit boring after that.

Living up to your avatar with that comment!

FMJ is one of the best war films ever. Very raw, a Kuberick masterpiece!

Not a huge fan of war films. Although I can think of quite a few that have given me a good or even great experience in parts, most I have considered to be uneven in quality. I'm talking about films like:

Good Morning Vietnam

Full Metal Jacket

Saving Private Ryan

U571

The Dueliists

Often the best war films are ones that are the grittiest, and possibly not the best for viewing. I mean, should we actually enjoy a war film..? Well the ones that have left me feeling like I experienced every minute, and I would almost start the film off again are:

Dr Strangelove

Catch 22

Master and Commander**

**Just like football existing before the Premiership, there were wars before WWI & II ;)

Am I the only person who was actually a bit disappointed by Dr Strangelove?

Yes, yes you are.

I'm going to agree with however has said Apocalypse Now, it famously got a bit too close to the real thing, with everyone, hoovering up coke, going insaine and seemingly burning vast piles of money each day. The fact any kind of film came out of it is amazing.

Also great...Paths of Glory, All Quiet on the Western Front, Thin Red Line, Aliens and the first 25 mins of saving private ryan.

Yes, yes you are.

I'm going to agree with however has said Apocalypse Now, it famously got a bit too close to the real thing, with everyone, hoovering up coke, going insaine and seemingly burning vast piles of money each day. The fact any kind of film came out of it is amazing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the film in which Martin Sheen had a heart attack during the making of it..?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the film in which Martin Sheen had a heart attack during the making of it..?

he did indeed and was reported as dead at one point, apparently Coppola responded by saying 'he isn't dead until i say he is!'. Just imagine a load of young men who suddenly made a fortune in hollywood who go to the heart of the jungle to make a great war film (tropical thunder springs to mind). they take way too much coke and everyone goes a little loco, everything falls apart and they get stuck there for three years, blowing all their cash.

and somehow this amazing and insane film came out of it.

If I can extend this thread for a moment, what are people's opinions on the war on terror films that have come out in the last five or so years? Lots of the Iraq films have been slated but maybe thats because lots of people dont want to know whats happeing until its 'over'.

so, my fave war on terror films so far...

Cache (Hidden) - its a film with its own style and pace, some may find it a bit slow and dry but give it a chance and it will rip you open, rape your soul and leave you crying and bleeding. In a good way.

United 93 - ditto.

Good Night and Good Luck - Liberal George steps up to the plate and says that censorships bad, mkay?

Munich - its gots flaws but also a brave even-handed portrayal of the Israel/Palestine conflict. i much rather he made films like this instead of working with george lucas.

The Three Burials of Melquades Estrada - the first great Iraq-western.

Platoon is best with FMJ second. Apocalypse Now is a distant third and I think The Deer Hunter is miles off the pace and plain dull dull dull. I don't think it technically counts as a 'Vietnam film' but The Big Lebowski (with its Vietnam bits) is ace.

Others:

Hamburger Hill - rubbish

Good Morning Vietnam - rubbish

Apocalypse Now by far, one of if not thee greatest film of all time. If you ever get a chance watch "Hearts of Darkness: A Film Makers Apocalypse" It's a documentary about the making of it, superb!

Second up i'd say Platoon followed by Green Berrets/MASH

Deer Hunter was amazing but not really about Vietnam as such, more about how communities deal with being asked to go to war. Sort of the same with Casualties of War, not really about the War but about what happens with a group who rape a girl. Could be set anywhere.

• 1 month later...