Murray's favourite F1 GP Races

St Landrew

A nice selection, surprised he didn't put Hungary 1998 down there though. Delighted with Japan 1994 being there though, my favourite Damon Hill victory.

Surely you mean Spa 1998? :-s

Hungary has been nothing but a complete snorefest since the beginning of time.

Surely you mean Spa 1998? :-s

Hungary has been nothing but a complete snorefest since the beginning of time.

No, Hungary 1998, Schumacher's shining glory. Had to draw a 25 second or so lead out over 19 laps after adjusting his strategy to a 3 stopper over Hakkinen's 2. He did it. Utterly utterly brilliant.

I remember 1997 and 2006 being rather exciting too, but on the whole year, Hungary is a bit crap.

No, Hungary 1998, Schumacher's shining glory. Had to draw a 25 second or so lead out over 19 laps after adjusting his strategy to a 3 stopper over Hakkinen's 2. He did it. Utterly utterly brilliant.

I remember 1997 and 2006 being rather exciting too, but on the whole year, Hungary is a bit crap.

I remember the race. Schumacher being on a 3 stop strategy, pulling out a large lead on the McLarens in a light car, then staying ahead after his final stop... It was a clever piece of tactical nouse from Brawn, but I wouldn't call it a classic race. IIRC Hakkinen had some kind of technical problems too, and it wasn't even an interesting finish to the race.

Seriously, that wasn't even in my top 5 races for 1998, let alone of all time.

1998 Top Races

1. Spa - By a country mile.

2. Austrian GP - Fisichella and Alesi front row, action packed race, DC comes from the back to finish 2nd.

3. Luxembourg - Straight fight between Schumacher and Hakkinen to set up the season finale.

4. Canada - Several cars drop out, including big start accidents, twice. Both Bennettons and Stewarts in the points.

5. Britain - Interesting wet race, with bizarre twist at the end.

1987 was my first British Grand Prix and what a race. The boys from the pub were all Grand Prix anoraks we had been camped between Club and Abbey from the small hours. When Mansell went into the pits the disappointment all around us was tangible. From then on the intensity of the crowd grew with each lap, it had to be the longest Mexican wave in the world as every time Mansell went past the crowd were willing him on as he reeled Piquet in. As Piquet exited Stowe you could hear people counting the gap before Mansell appeared. When Mansell and Piquet were both on the Straight between Stowe and Club the place was going mad it went berserk when Mansell came out of Stowe first with a lap to go.

On his celebration lap he ran out of fuel right in front of us, being the last year before total fencing everyone was on the track, everyone wanted to touch their hero the trouble was that being closest to the car you were pushing back because the heat coming off the car was so intense; these were the 1500cc turbocharged days if they had run a night race in those days I swear you would have seen the whole car glowing in the night not just the brake discs.

What a race!, nigh on 22 years (!) later you can tell it is still indelibly burnt into the memory bank.