mp3 tracks re naming

mightysaints

I have a strange problem with MP3 tracks. If i re name a track windows then does not reconise the file as a MP3 file, If i then transfer the file to a walkman etc it won't work. The tab that opens to select a program that will make the file back to an mp3 is greyed out when it opens.

I assume you never had a problem with renaming mp3 tracks before..?

Presumably, you have changed a couple of relevant Windows settings since you last renamed a MP3 file. This has happened to me occasionally aswell [i won't bother going into details as we would be here all day], and the cure is to make sure you finish the renaming with .mp3 Windows will suggest to you that the change of the file extension may cause the file to stop being recognised, but as that is already happening, you're losing nothing. Try it. Make a copy of your track and change its name and add the .mp3 file extension. I'll actually be mildly surprised if it doesn't work. By the way, you should find that the usual icon for your MP3 file remains, rather than being replaced by Windows own unrecognised file icon.

Edited by St Landrew