Swedish football update

when I posted last year I noted that several hundred people looked at the thread, so for those interested..here goes. Former Saints midfielder...Anders Svensson (captain of Elfsborg) missed half of last season but despite a strong fight - Elfsborg missed title against eventual champs Kalmar.

Anders is fit and playing again... and scored winner in practice game at weekend. ( Swedish season starts April and runs to November.)

Most interest fór Stockholm fans is the (second) promotion of Brommapojkarna (Bromma Boys) which is the "Mother of all Academies" and the nursery for many of the top Swedish players who move on to top clubs. They run 180 teams in Stockholm for boys and girls from 6-15, and their senior side contains several teenagers, as well as older players who return to the club in their twilight years. Two years ago they were promoted to the Swedish Prem. and although totally unprepared for the top flight, were unlucky to be relegated on goal-difference. Last year, they made a terrific run-in and, finished third in Div.1 (read CCC) and won the play-off - so they are back again in the Prem. For them every game will be a David /Goliath match and secretly everyone is willing them to survival this time around.

More updates as and when ... David Cross Stockholm Sweden

Might check out some kalmar games next season seeing as it's not too far from me , do you get to any games in stockholm David? whats the view of kenny pavey amongst the AIK fans?

Not so many games, but a lot is often shown on cable TV.

(Viasat Football, TV9 , and TV4 sport.)

IMHO Pavey is " popular " because he is English, rather than his influence on the pitch, although he does turn in some good games.

More interest seems to be for James Keene (Elfsborg) ...a former Pompey youth player (I think ?)...who was match-winner and star attraction in quite a few matches last year. Elfsborg were unlucky not to take the title, but Kalmar scored dozens of goals and were worthy winners, whilst Elfsborg had a fantastic defensive record (ala van de Saar / Man.U) but didn't find the net as often, and eventually only missed out on title by a couple of points.

Not so many games, but a lot is often shown on cable TV.

(Viasat Football, TV9 , and TV4 sport.)

IMHO Pavey is " popular " because he is English, rather than his influence on the pitch, although he does turn in some good games.

More interest seems to be for James Keene (Elfsborg) ...a former Pompey youth player (I think ?)...who was match-winner and star attraction in quite a few matches last year. Elfsborg were unlucky not to take the title, but Kalmar scored dozens of goals and were worthy winners, whilst Elfsborg had a fantastic defensive record (ala van de Saar / Man.U) but didn't find the net as often, and eventually only missed out on title by a couple of points.

That might be a bit harsh on Elfsborg IMHO. Eventhough Kalmar were worthy winners I think that Elfsborg would have won it had they not lost both Anders Svensson and Ishizaki in the latter part of the season. They pretty much had to do without their two best players for a third of the season and in teams with rather small squads that are usual in Sweden that is a big blow.

I don't think Kalmar will be nearly as good this year though. They've already lost Victor Elm and Patrik Ingelsten to Heerenveen in the Netherlands and their second half of the season was already slightly worse then the first since that Brazilian guy (Santin?) left for Copenhagen in August. For me the big favourites for the title have to be Elfsborg and IFG Göteborg. They've managed to keep their squads together and they both had good run-ins towards the end of the season.

I don't think Kalmar will be nearly as good this year though. They've already lost Victor Elm and Patrik Ingelsten to Heerenveen in the Netherlands and their second half of the season was already slightly worse then the first since that Brazilian guy (Santin?) left for Copenhagen in August. For me the big favourites for the title have to be Elfsborg and IFG Göteborg. They've managed to keep their squads together and they both had good run-ins towards the end of the season.

I agree with you on several points, Martini...personally I was rooting for Elfsborg. But Kalmar's performances were

outstanding throughout the season. They did go off the boil a bit in September, but Elfsborg failed to take advantage just at a time when only goal difference separted the teams. The three Elm brothers were certainly a strong influence on the Kalmar side, and the teams goal scoring feats were very impressive. Elfsborg had too many goal-less draws and lost points because of it . IF they'd had a stronger front line, they'd have had a easier run-in, but as you say the loss of Anders and Ishisaki....was the main difference.

Edited by david in sweden

I think Elfsborg will be champions this year. No significant players have moved and as Kalmar is getting weaker Elfsborg should be favourites this year. Göteborg and perhaps Helsingborg might challenge.

And do not count out my hometown team Örebro SK. We had a great run last autumn and the squad has been intact. A top five position should not be out of the question...

I went to watch Kalmar about 17 years ago whilst on a family holiday. They had a bloke with a loud-hailer wandering around the athletics track trying to drum up some chants but everyone ignored him. great days...

Nice place (Kalmar) - shame about the fans!

typical of Swedes, they find it hard to chant (unless it's ridiculing the opposition ) - instead the Swedish reaction to a goal being scored is usually - polite applause.

are there any english sites that give a decent report of swedish football? i try and follow but end up using wikipedia etc to get the info. i am a fan of Djurgardens IF just woundered if they are still hanging around the top of the table and who are their star players at the moment? from what i can tell, Dahlberg, Komac, Tauer and Touray. Is Rajalakso one for the future perhaps?

are there any english sites that give a decent report of swedish football? i try and follow but end up using wikipedia etc to get the info. i am a fan of Djurgardens IF just woundered if they are still hanging around the top of the table and who are their star players at the moment? from what i can tell, Dahlberg, Komac, Tauer and Touray. Is Rajalakso one for the future perhaps?

It's been tough for the Stockholm sides in the last two years.

Much of the best football is on the west coast, and now Kalmar (in the south east) has meant that there are few bright moments. Most of the local sides are lucky to finish in the top half of the table. AIK are best of the bunch.

Have to wait a bit to give you an update; there are lots of training games, trialists etc, so nothing is very clear yet.

I hate Kalmar....the ex wife lives there! Unbelievable that they've won the Allsvenskan!

Saw them in '95 at home in the playoffs against Bajen. Utter ****e....Worse than non-league, coudn't barely string two passes together before losing posession. I intensely dislike Kalmar more than Pompey, and I think you should all know that!

I hate Kalmar....the ex wife lives there! Unbelievable that they've won the Allsvenskan!

Saw them in '95 at home in the playoffs against Bajen. Utter ****e....Worse than non-league, coudn't barely string two passes together before losing posession. I intensely dislike Kalmar more than Pompey, and I think you should all know that!

I never rated Kalmar - until last year (captain sensible),

especially when Billy Lansdowne (who ?) was on TV all the time reminding us of how good they were - when he was there in the 1980's.

However, I think we've established your position on Kalmar.

Lovely countryside - shame about the ex-family connection .

I never rated Kalmar - until last year (captain sensible),

especially when Billy Lansdowne (who ?) was on TV all the time reminding us of how good they were - when he was there in the 1980's.

However, I think we've established your position on Kalmar.

Lovely countryside - shame about the ex-family connection .

Is Billy lansdowne still a pundit? i read he played for west ham, never heard of him before i moved to sweden !

Ex saint frank worthington is a legend down these parts ( skåne/ Blekinge) the mjälby fans have loved him since he played for them in the 80's.

Peter crouch played on loan for IFK Hässleholm and spent most of the time on the bench :eek:

And colin nutley is a skate !

I'm sure ex saint reserve steve roast was at Boden ? or some team up there, any anoraks comfirm this ?

Is Billy lansdowne still a pundit? i read he played for west ham, never heard of him before i moved to sweden !

Ex saint frank worthington is a legend down these parts ( skåne/ Blekinge) the mjälby fans have loved him since he played for them in the 80's.

Peter crouch played on loan for IFK Hässleholm and spent most of the time on the bench :eek:

And colin nutley is a skate !

I'm sure ex saint reserve steve roast was at Boden ? or some team up there, any anoraks comfirm this ?

Billy Lansdowne (ex-pundit). Bill was a popular guest during the 90's but

lost favour to Stuart Baxter (whose Swedish accent is EVEN worse than Lansdownes - if that's possible). Baxter had a good spell managing AIK about 10 years ago, and then went on to manage national sides in one or two third world countries - at present he is still managing.....Finland, but he turns up on progs. when an English side in playing in Euro games.

Billy seems to have dropped below the horizon in the last few years, and turned up on some obscure sTV port cable channel, commentating over ..

(wait for it) greyhound racing ! Not a top sport in Sweden I can promise you.