Desktop RAM.

OLYMPIC

I have an old desktop pc i have got up and running but it was only using 1xPC100 128mb and 1xPC100 64MB,i have just fitted a PC100 256MB of ram into the slot after removing the other 2 but it will not recognise it as 256mb keeps on saying 128mb any ideas how to get it to recognise correct ram size.

I had a lot of compatibility issues regarding PC100 and PC133 memory. PC133 should theoretically work at 100MHz but the newer modules didn't unless you paid for the more expensive 16-chip versions.

It's favourite trick was to power up but only report half the capacity installed and crash the PC like a b*st*rd.

What motherboard do you have?

mainboard must be ancient if it takes SDRAM, I doubt that its capable of taking more than 128mb in a single slot. Actually im surprised it booted up at all, back in the day if you put too much ram in u'd just get a "beep", which was your MB laughing at you and telling you to upgrade. You could go out and buy a mainboard / modern processor and 2gb of DDR2 for about 120 quid and whack that in your old case, prob what i'd do if I needed a cheap 2nd comp.

It might have something to do with the System memory file which controls performance. I had a similar problem having procured a second hand desktop recently as a back up. I decided to add 1Giga of Ram and had the same problem. You have to right click My Computer, go into the Properties, thengo the Advanced Properties, Performance then Settings snd the Advanced Tag there where you'll see Virtual Memory at the bottom. Click on Modify then choose the button No Exchange File or whatever it's called in English. Then click the Define button and the PageSys. file will be deleted. Click okay then repeat the same procedure a couple of times and restart your computer. Windows starts up a new Page Sys file.

Return to the Virtual Memory again but this time click on Allow Windows or rather the System to manage. Click on Define and then okay. Apply and restart your computer. It should, all going well, then recognise you extended RAM.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it was prior to finding out this little simple trick.

Here are Microsofts instructions in French. I've used a translator at the end to repeat what I posted above.

Vous pouvez résoudre ce problème en recréant le fichier d'échange. Pour cela, procédez comme suit :

Cliquez sur Démarrer.

Cliquez avec le bouton droit sur Poste de travail.

Cliquez sur Propriétés.

Sous l'onglet Avancés, dans la section Performances, cliquez sur Paramètres.

Dans la section Mémoire virtuelle, cliquez sur Modifier.

Pour Taille du fichier d'échange pour le lecteur sélectionné, cliquez sur Aucun fichier d'échange, puis sur Définir.

Cliquez sur Oui lorsque l'avertissement suivant s'affiche :

Si le fichier d'échange sur le volume X: a une taille initiale de moins de xx mégaoctets, alors le système pourrait être incapable de créer un fichier d'information de débogage si une erreur irrécupérable se produit. Voulez-vous continuer tout de même ?

(X représente la lettre de lecteur et xx la quantité de RAM installée sur votre ordinateur moins 1 mégaoctet.)

Cliquez sur Taille gérée par le système.

Cliquez quatre fois sur OK, puis redémarrez l'ordinateur lorsque vous y êtes invité.

You can solve this problem by recreating the system pagefile . For that, proceed as follows: Click on STARTr. Click with the right button on My Computer or Work station. Click on Propriétés. Under Advanced, in the section Performances, click on Settings. In the section Virtual Memory, click on Modifier. For Size of the file d' exchange for the selected reader, click on No exchange file, then on Défine. Click on OK when l' following warning s' post: If the system pagefile on volume ?: an initial size of less than xx megabytes has, then the system could be unable to create a file d' information of debugging if an irremediable error occurs. Do you want to continue all the same? (X represents the letter of reader and the xx quantity of RAM installed on your computer minus 1 megabyte.) Click on Taille managed by the system. Click four times on OK, then start again l' computer when you are invited there.

Olympic, isn't it just the easiest thing to peer at the motherboard until you have the manufacturer and model nos, and go to that manufacturers website to find out the specs for that old board..? Unless you have an obscure M/B [and there are plenty] you'll probably find your answer there.

Here are Microsofts instructions in French. I've used a translator at the end to repeat what I posted above.

Vous pouvez résoudre ce problème en recréant le fichier d'échange. Pour cela, procédez comme suit :

Cliquez sur Démarrer.

Cliquez avec le bouton droit sur Poste de travail.

Cliquez sur Propriétés.

Sous l'onglet Avancés, dans la section Performances, cliquez sur Paramètres.

Dans la section Mémoire virtuelle, cliquez sur Modifier.

Pour Taille du fichier d'échange pour le lecteur sélectionné, cliquez sur Aucun fichier d'échange, puis sur Définir.

Cliquez sur Oui lorsque l'avertissement suivant s'affiche :

Si le fichier d'échange sur le volume X: a une taille initiale de moins de xx mégaoctets, alors le système pourrait être incapable de créer un fichier d'information de débogage si une erreur irrécupérable se produit. Voulez-vous continuer tout de même ?

(X représente la lettre de lecteur et xx la quantité de RAM installée sur votre ordinateur moins 1 mégaoctet.)

Cliquez sur Taille gérée par le système.

Cliquez quatre fois sur OK, puis redémarrez l'ordinateur lorsque vous y êtes invité.

You can solve this problem by recreating the system pagefile . For that, proceed as follows: Click on STARTr. Click with the right button on My Computer or Work station. Click on Propriétés. Under Advanced, in the section Performances, click on Settings. In the section Virtual Memory, click on Modifier. For Size of the file d' exchange for the selected reader, click on No exchange file, then on Défine. Click on OK when l' following warning s' post: If the system pagefile on volume ?: an initial size of less than xx megabytes has, then the system could be unable to create a file d' information of debugging if an irremediable error occurs. Do you want to continue all the same? (X represents the letter of reader and the xx quantity of RAM installed on your computer minus 1 megabyte.) Click on Taille managed by the system. Click four times on OK, then start again l' computer when you are invited there.

:rolleyes: