Backup of DVDs

thesaint sfc

Why didn't you use DVD Shrink in the first place Will, or did you specifially want the files converted to AVI..? I have some old, if rather slow software I can send you, if you like, which converts DVD files down to whatever size you can get away with. When it works well, the results are very good indeed, and make for a fair comparison to the original.

Yeah, kinda needed them as avi files as its a media centre PC. It's connected up to my TV via HDMI. I can just scroll through my dvds and double click and play. I'm sure there is a better way of doing it, but it's just finding the way! Yes - that s/w would be great thanks. It's a very reasonable spec system so I'll test it out and see how long it takes. Cheers mate.

Don't expect you to go to the expense of posting it to me mate. Not something you can send me online?

No it's a CD. It's not as if you're in Outer Mongolia. I have loads of saved up jiffybags still from the days of burning MLTCds, and I think I can spare the postage to East Sussex. ;)

I use 3 different software apps to achieve this...

DVDFab to rip just the main movie portion of the DVD to the PC

DVD Shrink to turn the ripped VIDEO.TS & AUDIO.TS into an ISO

Fairuse Wizard to encode the ISO into an AVI... With this you can specify the size of the final avi file you want...

It's not the quickest of processes but it does work well and produce good quality AVI's

I've converted around 1000 DVDs using this method without a single problem!!

That must take you ages!

You should get AnyDVD. It will remove the protection from the DVD and you can go straight into #2 and use DVD Shrink to shrink the DVD and turn it into an ISO.

I'll try #3 :) Thanks.

Thanks Andy, I'll PM you my address in a minute.

Guest MadMonk

Can anyone let me have a copy of Windows Vista Business full install disc please (or image)? I have all the license keys / codes so there is nothing illegal about what I am asking for. My disc has got damaged and will no longer read. Thanks.