APPLE protectionism strikes again!!!!

SOTONS EAST SIDE

New iPod Shuffle rejects 3rd party headphones

Posted on 16.03.2009 at 11:06 in Tech News by Martin

Apple may have finally wised up to the fact that no one likes DRM in its iTunes store, but it looks as though the trendy tech company still has some way to go when it comes to being over-protective of its hardware. The newly revamped iPod Shuffle reportedly doesn’t function properly with any headphones that aren’t made by Apple, as third party headphones now need to contain an Apple authentication chip to function with the small, 4GB flash device. According to iLounge, which has recently reviewed the new iPod Shuffle, the use of third-party headphones will result in the iPod Shuffle being stuck at one volume level, and you won’t be able to skip tracks or pause the player either.

The iPod Shuffle itself only has controls for switching off the machine and setting the playback mode to shuffle your tracks or play them in order. The rest of the usual control features are performed by a remote control on the headphones, but the need for a new authentication chip means that all current third-party iPod headphones with a remote control will not be able to control the device. Worse still, says the site, no compatible third-party headphones or remote control adaptors have entered the manufacturing stage yet. Plus, Apple currently has no plans to make a remote control adaptor that functions with the Shuffle either. According to the site, the price of a compatible set of headphones currently starts at $49 US (£34.64). Of course, the need to include a new piece of silicon in the headphones will also push up the price of a third-party set of headphones too.

Nice techy gear,pity its ethics are only in its own self intrest!

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

How exactly would you expect cheap nasty third party headphones to be able to control new Shuffle exactly?

Here's an idea... if you want one of the World's smallest MP3 players and like the idea of it having no control buttons on, but instead that you control it all through the in-line earbud controls and it speaks information to you - buy a new Shuffle and use the purposely manufactured earbuds or one of the after market varieties that will be produced. If, however, you prefer to have the controls on the MP3 player, don't mind it being larger than the new Shuffle and want to be able to use any old 3.5mm headphones/earbuds, then buy the old Shuffle or any number of generic MP3 devices available on the market.

You complete plum.

How exactly would you expect cheap nasty third party headphones to be able to control new Shuffle exactly?

Here's an idea... if you want one of the World's smallest MP3 players and like the idea of it having no control buttons on, but instead that you control it all through the in-line earbud controls and it speaks information to you - buy a new Shuffle and use the purposely manufactured earbuds or one of the after market varieties that will be produced. If, however, you prefer to have the controls on the MP3 player, don't mind it being larger than the new Shuffle and want to be able to use any old 3.5mm headphones/earbuds, then buy the old Shuffle or any number of generic MP3 devices available on the market.

You complete plum.

Depends on what you call cheap and nasty headphones you complete A-hole, Apple h-phones arent exactly the dogs b******s are they!

But i didnt expect nothing but your brainwashed undying support of Apple anyway!

D*ckhead! :D

So if you don't like the headphones that are made for it, nor any of the alternative licensed ones, or 'don't like Apple products' or moan about iTunes, or whatever other argument you lime to make - go buy a different product. It's a big old world out there with plenty of other (many would say inferior) devices available.

Starting a thread and copying a complete article based on one person's review of a product, just so you can have a snipe at Apple, is rather sad. Like Marmite, peoplewill either love or hate the new Shuffle. But when it co we down to it, it doesn't really matter. Those that want a new mini MP3 player but don't like it will buy something else; those that like it can decide if they are happy to buy it once they've weighed up the pros and cons. Me: I've got a 2ndGen Shuffle that I'm entirely happy with, so haven't even thought about it. Get over yourself.

Posted from the amazing iPhone

So if you don't like the headphones that are made for it, nor any of the alternative licensed ones, or 'don't like Apple products' or moan about iTunes, or whatever other argument you lime to make - go buy a different product. It's a big old world out there with plenty of other (many would say inferior) devices available.

Starting a thread and copying a complete article based on one person's review of a product, just so you can have a snipe at Apple, is rather sad. Like Marmite, peoplewill either love or hate the new Shuffle. But when it co we down to it, it doesn't really matter. Those that want a new mini MP3 player but don't like it will buy something else; those that like it can decide if they are happy to buy it once they've weighed up the pros and cons. Me: I've got a 2ndGen Shuffle that I'm entirely happy with, so haven't even thought about it. Get over yourself.

Posted from the amazing iPhone

One persons view! lol An Apple lovin techy from iLOUNGE reviewers who love all things Apple (like someone else we know) dares to be critical of your precious Apple inc, and you think i'm sad, grow up! And where did i say that Apple were crap, just that that their not as amazing as you keep trying ram down our throats!

Yes Apple does things well, but not everthing! Their not the rulers of everything techy you know!

Next thing your be saying if Apple make a TV , it will be the best TV ever made! lol ;)

I like Apple's digital music products but it's fair to say that their headphones are utter gash - I don't mean "a bit of a letdown", I mean they're completely ****, like ones you used to get on the cheapest Walkman rip-offs in the 80s, or for a quid on the market.

I'm also not convinced that whoever is buying the Shuffle is really considering all of their options.

I like Apple's digital music products but it's fair to say that their headphones are utter gash - I don't mean "a bit of a letdown", I mean they're completely ****, like ones you used to get on the cheapest Walkman rip-offs in the 80s, or for a quid on the market.

I'm also not convinced that whoever is buying the Shuffle is really considering all of their options.

Headphones I got with my iPhone were pants.