Grand National

notnowcato

Two and a half weeks until the big day. I bloody love this race and now that Cheltenham is done and dusted for a year it's time to check the decs. Today was the final forfeit stage, big weights like Exotic Dancer and Star de Mohaison have been pulled. Madison De Berlais is still in but is huge on Betfair which suggests he is unlikely to run, therefore we should see a 7lb hike in the weights. If this is the case most of the runners for the Grand National will be in the handicap proper. A long range forecast on metcheck for Liverpool shows very little rain expected... so, taking this all into consideration where are the big priced e/w bets to be had???

I've had 3 cheeky each way bets on:

Offshore Account 50/1

Brooklyn Brownie 66/1

Not guaranteed to run but every chance they will.

Good luck to all.

Edited by notnowcato
can't type

A few statistical pointers...

As a rule:

- winners are aged between 8 and 10 years of age

- are in the handicap proper

- carry less than 11 stone

- have won any NH race, be it over the sticks or fences, distance less than 2m 5f

- have won a class 3 hcap or better over 3m

Year Winner Age Weight Jockey Trainer SP

1999 Bobbyjo 9 10-00 Paul Carberry Tommy Carberry 10/1

2000 Papillon 9 10-12 Ruby Walsh Ted Walsh 10/1

2001 Red Marauder 11 10-11 Richard Guest Norman Mason 33/1

2002 Bindaree 8 10-04 Jim Culloty Nigel Twiston-Davies 20/1

2003 Monty's Pass 10 10-07 Barry Geraghty Jimmy Mangan 16/1

2004 Amberleigh House12 10-10 Graham Lee Ginger McCain 16/1

2005 Hedgehunter 9 11-01 Ruby Walsh Willie Mullins 7/1 F

2006 Numbersixvalverde10 10-08 Niall Madden Martin Brassil 11/1

2007 Silver Birch 10 10-06 Robbie Power Gordon Elliott 33/1

2008 Comply or Die 9 10-09 Timmy Murphy David Pipe 7/1JF

In the last 50 runnings, taking into account the void race of 1993:

- There has been no winner aged 7 or under

- 34 out of 50 have been aged 8 to 10

- 7 aged 11 - Red Marauder won in bottomless ground in 2001

- 9 aged 12 - 2 of these were the magnificent Red Rum and impressive L'Escargot

- No winner aged 13 or above

- 41 out of the 50 winners carried 11 stone or less, again the mighty Red Rum bucked the trend twice and L'Escargot carried 11-3 to victory in 1975.

Of the shorter priced horses I will be backing Rambling Minster. Wont back until the day now as all the majors are shortening up, should open bigger on Saturday.

Hard to say for certain if Niche Market will get a run or not. Suggest you keep an eye on Betfair, if it starts to drift (currently 109/1) before Thursday then that would possibly indicate it wont be running.

War Of Attrition is out of the race, a good result for the bookies.

Niche Market looks like no. 44 after the 5-day decs, so would need four more to pull out, think there are four reserves but not sure?

Would guess he's unlikely to run but keep your ear to the ground.

War Of Attrition is out of the race, a good result for the bookies.

Niche Market looks like no. 44 after the 5-day decs, so would need four more to pull out, think there are four reserves but not sure?

Would guess he's unlikely to run but keep your ear to the ground.

Beware of Racing Post headlines on "gambles"...

I know someone who works in Laddies PT and she says that they are taking a lot of money on "My Will"

That is probably due to Ruby Walsh confirming his ride, wouldn't be the price it is if not ridden by him and trained by Paul Nicholls, in my mind not a value bet.

Black Apalachian or Butlers Cabin are my 2 choices.

That is probably due to Ruby Walsh confirming his ride, wouldn't be the price it is if not ridden by him and trained by Paul Nicholls, in my mind not a value bet.

Black Apalachian or Butlers Cabin are my 2 choices.

I like Butlers Cabin also. AP was swinging on this last year before falling at Beechers second time around. He's off a better mark as well. McCoy has got to win the National at some stage, surely!

my nickname is big fella. im thinking i might put a punt on big fella thanks. he's at 16's trained by nicholls and seems to have a fairly good pedigree, but nobody has mentioned him...any reason or just that its a lottery and it could be pick one from 40 and you've got as good a chance...

my nickname is big fella. im thinking i might put a punt on big fella thanks. he's at 16's trained by nicholls and seems to have a fairly good pedigree, but nobody has mentioned him...any reason or just that its a lottery and it could be pick one from 40 and you've got as good a chance...

There is a wee bit of a myth in the whole race being a 'lottery', granted the first 3 or 4 fences can provide difficulties with such a big field hurtling towards them and the best horses can inadvertently get brought down rather than fall. Also from the previous few years, there is not anything exactly mega priced(seeing as there is a field of 40, favourites will be around 8/1) that has won, and you can certainly narrow down the chances by concentrating on the stats notnowcato has provided. If Ruby Walsh was riding your horse it would be shorter odds for sure.

hasnt Walsh's horse withdrawn? did i read that above or somewhere else..?

i've backed it at 16's, i think thats a good enough price for an each way punt. as you say he's got a bit of history to overcome being a 7 year old, but he has the right weight on him (under 11 stone), good stable...

now need to back something heavier, think i'll look at the rest of the national card for some larger bets..

hasnt Walsh's horse withdrawn? did i read that above or somewhere else..?

i've backed it at 16's, i think thats a good enough price for an each way punt. as you say he's got a bit of history to overcome being a 7 year old, but he has the right weight on him (under 11 stone), good stable...

now need to back something heavier, think i'll look at the rest of the national card for some larger bets..

Isn't it a case of - he was riding for his dad and is now riding for Paul Nicholls instead?

Had a look through and came up with Rambling Minster and Kilbeggan Blade.

These fit most of the trends for winners.

Good jumpers who stay. Well weighted. Won over 3 miles.

Great race to watch bets to a minimum for me.

Good luck to all.

The 40 horses for the national

1 Cloudy Lane

2 Chelsea Harbour

3 Snowy Morning

4 Knowhere

5 Comply Or Die

6 Ollie Magern

7 Stan

8 Black Apalachi

9 Hear The Echo

10 Preists Leap

11 My Will

12 Eurotrek

13 State of Play

14 Big Fella Thanks

15 Mon Mome

16 Silver Birch

17 Butler's Cabin

18 Offshore Account

19 Parsons Legacy

20 Reveillez

21 Fundamentalist

22 Golden Flight

23 L'ami

24 Battlecry

25 Cornish Sett

26 Fleet Street

27 Musica Bella

28 Can't Buy Time

29 Darkness

30 Irish Invader

31 Rambling Minster

32 Southern Vic

33 Kilbeggan Blade

34 Brooklyn Brownie

35 Himalayan Trail

36 Arteea

37 Cerium

38 Idle Talk

39 Kelami

40 Zabenz

Why, it's 6 or 7/1 for the win. That is quite a bit of profit considering you get odds-on favourites in some races.

It may win, but that does still not necessarily make it a value bet, especially as it does not fit in to trends of recent winners of The National, also bear in mind that Ruby Walsh's profile has been elevated in the non racing publics eye due to his exploits at Cheltenham, and will be carrying a lot of small bets, forcing the price down further.

It may win, but that does still not necessarily make it a value bet, especially as it does not fit in to trends of recent winners of The National, also bear in mind that Ruby Walsh's profile has been elevated in the non racing publics eye due to his exploits at Cheltenham, and will be carrying a lot of small bets, forcing the price down further.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm betting on it, just countering Jill's point that you'd need to bet lots of money. Not as if it's 4/5 or anything like that.

Quite like Reveillez and Cornish Set e/w and Southern Vic on the nose

I got Southern Vic on the office sweepstake, seemed like a good omen so I went & put a fiver each way on it. Got odds of 20-1, is that any good ?

What does on the nose mean ?

Hey, I'm not saying I'm betting on it, just countering Jill's point that you'd need to bet lots of money. Not as if it's 4/5 or anything like that.

Sorry if it seemed I was having a pop at you, just a general comment, I knew you personally knew better.:D

I got Southern Vic on the office sweepstake, seemed like a good omen so I went & put a fiver each way on it. Got odds of 20-1, is that any good ?

What does on the nose mean ?

Good if it wins, 20 times your stake for the fiver win, plus another fiver on at 5-1. On the nose means to win only, you have 2 bets basically, one bet to win and a 'covering' bet of it coming in first 4, though some bookies will pay out on 5 places. Each way is for pansies, fact.

Good if it wins, 20 times your stake for the fiver win, plus another fiver on at 5-1. On the nose means to win only, you have 2 bets basically, one bet to win and a 'covering' bet of it coming in first 4, though some bookies will pay out on 5 places. Each way is for pansies, fact.

I am a pansy. Only ever been in a bookies once before today.

My mum is a 73 year old pansy but she is quite happy with her £127.00 win :D

Well that was a bit of a shock!

Horse did fit most trends though.

Weighted at 11 stone. More than 10 runs over fences. Age 8-12.

OR over 135. Run in last 50 days. Won at 3 miles plus.

Thought Comply or Die ran a great race as well.