Hard Disk Drive Failure

Secret Site Agent

Well, I once had an internal HDD that went tits up, and the kind folks on here, (such as St. Landrew, who I worship in the computer world) advised me well. Once of the suggestions was to back my stuff up on an external HDD as well.

To cut to the chase, My Seagate External HDD has now gone tits up. Apperently I have the 'Cypress AT2LP RC42' driver error.

Not too bothered, (I am ****ing seething to be honest, but my major stuff is on disks, so no worries there) but I was wondering the following:

Cheapest option: Can I remove the Hard Drive from the casing and place in my computer as an internal drive.

I am not the most coputer savvy person in the world but, being a civil engineer, we have an enquiring mind and a problem solving attitude.

Any help greatfully recieved.

Lot's of IF's here. Not being an owner of an external drive, whether in kit form, or ready-made retail, I can't advise you on the connection that will be inside the external drive once you open it up. Common sense [or is that gut feeling..?] suggests that it will be a standard SATA or PATA [EIDE] interface, once all the gubbins is removed. If that is the case, then there is no reason why you couldn't make it an internal drive.

However, there is a fault. Is it fundamental, or just something in hard disk controller..? Have you checked out what Cypress AT2LP RC42' driver error means yet..?

This was my first dig with Google. More than enough advice to be going on with.

http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8760

HTHs.

EDIT: Oops..! Somehow missed the adoration the first read through. I'm not worth it. But it's nice to be appreciated. ;)

Edited by St Landrew

Lot's of IF's here. Not being an owner of an external drive, whether in kit form, or ready-made retail, I can't advise you on the connection that will be inside the external drive once you open it up. Common sense [or is that gut feeling..?] suggests that it will be a standard SATA or PATA [EIDE] interface, once all the gubbins is removed. If that is the case, then there is no reason why you couldn't make it an internal drive.

However, there is a fault. Is it fundamental, or just something in hard disk controller..? Have you checked out what Cypress AT2LP RC42' driver error means yet..?

This was my first dig with Google. More than enough advice to be going on with.

http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8760

HTHs.

EDIT: Oops..! Somehow missed the adoration the first read through. I'm not worth it. But it's nice to be appreciated. ;)

Yep, it is the controller that is the problem. By flying around from there I have found another website that gives me a software solution, a hardware solution, (Put it in a new enclosure) and also answers the question, (Yep, I should be able to put it in my computer).

I'm going to try them in that order. I may even see if Novatech could do the enclosure thingy for me, for a fee.

Oh, and you are worth the adoration, and I for one appreciate you.