Southampton Street View On Google

St Landrew

Just in case people don't know yet, but Street View is available for Southampton now. I'm just exploring it at the moment. Don't quite know how far it extends yet, but it's the usual fun. It's all over New Zealand, and I found my old home in Gore the other day, looking just the same as it was 18 years ago.

Bloody hell SL, that is the first time I have ever used it and it is amazing. I can see into my drive!

How do they do that? Seriously, I don;t get it.

I was going to go up the woodlands, but am now going on the prowl around my neighbouhood.

How do they dop that please tell?

Bloody hell SL, that is the first time I have ever used it and it is amazing. I can see into my drive!

How do they do that? Seriously, I don;t get it.

I was going to go up the woodlands, but am now going on the prowl around my neighbouhood.

How do they dop that please tell?

Calm down Hamster. .! ;) I have to admit that this is something that probably deserves the word cool. Because Steet View really is quite amazing when you consider that Google hire companies to drive up and down streets throughout the world with 360 degree panoramic cameras perched on top, and they drive at the legal speed. Not less, not more.. think about it. We don't have Google car induced traffic jams, because they do their work.

A car drove right up my road one late afternoon, last year, and I thought, that's funny... the Google car is supposed to look like that, but it couldn't be... But it was. :)

I now have two addresses, in two countries on opposite ends of the earth, on Street View where I've lived.

Edited by St Landrew

The quality of the UK Streetview is really good. Way better than most of the USA towns & cities that have been 'streetViewed' for sometime now.

Some good ones to walk around:

Amsterdam

Belfast

Tokyo

I can see my car. I have seen the thing driving around a couple of times as well, but can't quite remember where, alas. I have been able to find two houses I've lived in in Southampton, three in Nottingham. One was about eight years ago, and sadly, I don't seem to find it that familiar..!

One of the cars passed me on Twyford Road in Eastleigh today. So I may even make it onto it. My 3 seconds of fame.

Col

They were filming along Derby Rd (The Eastleigh one!) on Wednesday. Must say they were very attentive to their job, approaching and using each junction from every possible angle. No wonder it's so comprehensive.

• 3 weeks later...