Pompey now building 2 stadiums!

Nexstar

so is gayboy funding the improvement at fratton(putting a few toilets in the away end would be a 100% upgrade) or the supermarket owners.

seems they are back to a plan of a few years back i was half expecting to see the pitch had been rotated 180 degrees

so is gayboy funding the improvement at fratton(putting a few toilets in the away end would be a 100% upgrade) or the supermarket owners.

seems they are back to a plan of a few years back i was half expecting to see the pitch had been rotated 180 degrees

Rotating the pitch 180 degrees and putting in two new stands in one summer is a tall order.

Surely this announcement spells the end of any plans for a 'new' ground? Rebuilding the stadium will cost probably 15-20 million. You aren't going to spend money like that only to knock it down a couple of years later.

Not sure I understand this supermarket plan either. With a stadium on the site there's not a lot of room left to build a supermarket.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=50.798049,-1.07269&spn=0.009494,0.021887&t=h&z=16

Here's what I mean about the supermarket. The bit of land just to the left of Fratton on that map is the only possible place you could put a decent sized building. Compare it's size to the B&Q site (the big white roof and massive car park). It would be big enough to put an Asda sized building (Asda is further left, halfway up), but maybe not it's car park. That Asda isn't very big, and the rumour has always been that they were the company who wanted to build at Fratton. Not sure why they'd move to a new store the same size as the one they've already got, especially as they've just spent money doing that shop up.

Edited by Scummer

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=50.798049,-1.07269&spn=0.009494,0.021887&t=h&z=16

Here's what I mean about the supermarket. The bit of land just to the left of Fratton on that map is the only possible place you could put a decent sized building. Compare it's size to the B&Q site (the big white roof and massive car park). It would be big enough to put an Asda sized building (Asda is further left, halfway up), but maybe not it's car park. That Asda isn't very big, and the rumour has always been that they were the company who wanted to build at Fratton. Not sure why they'd move to a new store the same size as the one they've already got, especially as they've just spent money doing that shop up.

The nearby Asda has now had a new floor put in above the main foodhall so is now as big, if not bigger, than most of their other stores.

The nearby Asda has now had a new floor put in above the main foodhall so is now as big, if not bigger, than most of their other stores.

That's what I meant when I said they'd just spent a load of money on it. It's still not particularly big, much less food than somewhere like Tesco North Harbour. Either way, I can't see why they would want to move to Fratton Park. Looking around Google maps some more, that plot is smaller than Sainsbury at Commercial Road, and that's a poxy little shop.

70% of the cost is to come from a supermarket? WTF!!! A supermarket is going to £12m odd quid to PFC for a site that is only 1/2 a mile from a big Asda - let along their own cost of actually building the supermarket and improving roads. Any pompey fan who believes this rubbish is a complete loon - mind they all fell for the previous publicity stunts.

This is basically official confirmation that the new stadium will never happen, as widely predicted on this forum for many years! Hilarious given the boasts of a few deluded skates!

And once you start talking about 'stages' as Pompey always do with any new ground developments you're always in trouble, as the latter (if any) stages never seem to happen. So I suspect they may do the first one to 25k and then leave it at that!

Exactly.

But Corp and Mack have been telling us different.

If you had followed the Pompey Fred,,You would of seen that us(the blue few) had reliably informed you (pony fiddlers) that the Whore,,Sea island plan had gon Tits up and it was back to the magic roundabout at Fratton:rolleyes:

BUT! all is not lost rooooooooooomer as it this summer could get very interesting;)

I'm genuinely baffled as to why Pompey are planning any kind of expansion. They can barely sell it out as it is and things aren't going to improve next season, assuming they aren't challenging for Europe. Added to that I can't imagine anyone forking out the cash for this.

If you had followed the Pompey Fred,,You would of seen that us(the blue few) had reliably informed you (pony fiddlers) that the Whore,,Sea island plan had gon Tits up and it was back to the magic roundabout at Fratton:rolleyes:

BUT! all is not lost rooooooooooomer as it this summer could get very interesting;)

Is the fish bowl going to return! :D

Are you going to Blackpool for pre-season matches?

It's Tesco, not Asda. And the B & Q you're using to compare sizes happens to be the biggest DIY store in Europe. I kid you not. Not exactly a decent comparison then, would you say?

I'm genuinely baffled as to why Pompey are planning any kind of expansion. They can barely sell it out as it is and things aren't going to improve next season, assuming they aren't challenging for Europe. Added to that I can't imagine anyone forking out the cash for this.

We're averaging 96% sell outs all season and generally the reason it's not 100% is because away teams don't take their full allocation. Because of that, we can't offer concessions to families or kids on any regular basis and don't have the space for a proper family section or any of the other markeing initiatives which could help drive people through the turnstiles. A bigger capacity allows you to do more to bring new people in.

70% of the cost is to come from a supermarket? WTF!!! A supermarket is going to £12m odd quid to PFC for a site that is only 1/2 a mile from a big Asda - let along their own cost of actually building the supermarket and improving roads. Any pompey fan who believes this rubbish is a complete loon - mind they all fell for the previous publicity stunts.

It's now public knowledge. Tesco have verbally agreed to provide around £15m of funding towards the work on the stadium to allow them to build a new store on the adjacent land, similar to what they've done with other clubs (I think Weymouth benefitted from a similar plan). Which shows you where a big chunk of the development money for our planned stadium at Horsea could come from if it ever gets the go ahead.

No problem. What surprises me, having looked on Pompey forums, is that none of them seem to have realised that the supermarket plan doesn't seem to add up.

What doesn't add up?

did you know - whilst pompey dont sell out most weeks..this is regardless of the FACT they give away quite a few tickets to the Navy based in the pompey area...

lol

What a lode of Bollix,,,,,We haven't got a navy to give em to anymore.

In fact of all the shore bases i went to only shotly NR Ipswich did (HM Ganges),

did you know - whilst pompey dont sell out most weeks..this is regardless of the FACT they give away quite a few tickets to the Navy based in the pompey area...

lol

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we gave a few tickets to the navy. How many thousand per game do we give away, do you know? Or is it actually about 20 tickets or so?

Unlike your scheme where anyone taking 10 kids for a quid each gets in free and you still only get 11,000. That's a real LOL

Wouldn't be at all surprised if we gave a few tickets to the navy. How many thousand per game do we give away, do you know? Or is it actually about 20 tickets or so?

Unlike your scheme where anyone taking 10 kids for a quid each gets in free and you still only get 11,000. That's a real LOL

yes we get poor gates now...but put us in your shoes........

as for tickets, HMS Sultan get 10 for EVERY home game

then you have.....

HMS Collingwood

HMS Temeraire

Fort Blockhouse (which get 5 per home game)

HMS Nelson

then you have the Naval base wich gets 15 tickets to its main gym

god knows what other units/ships based in and around pompey get...

plymouth do the same thing....then again, they have not just had their best season in 50 years and fail to sell out after such.....

then you have.....

HMS Collingwood

HMS Temeraire

HMS Nelson

plymouth do the same thing....then again, they have not just had their best season in 50 years and fail to sell out after such.....

So, you don't actually know but maybe 100 tickets. Incredible. You've really made a point there.

Actually, what point have you made there? :smt017

then you have.....

HMS Collingwood

HMS Temeraire

HMS Nelson

When my old man was the Commander of HMS Nelson, being a Saints fan, he used to send them back, so they probably don't send any there any more :D

What doesn't add up?

The plan to build a store the size of Tesco North Harbour on a site half the size?

The expectation that they will have planning permission by the summer despite the leader of Portsmouth city council stating that it's not in their power to grant permission for the supermarket so it will have to go before central government?

So, you don't actually know but maybe 100 tickets. Incredible. You've really made a point there.

Actually, what point have you made there? :smt017

despite giving tickets away, winning the FA cup, having the best season/12 months EVER or at least in the last 50 years, you STILL fail to sell out the home allocation at fratton more often than not

What doesn't add up?

The plan to build a store the size of Tesco North Harbour on a site half the size?

LOL. Where have you got the idea that this store would be the size of the one at North Harbour? I've not seen that mentioned anywhere. Tesco do have different sized stores to the North Harbour one you feckin' idiot. :D

Not saying it will happen, lots of planning obtacles to overcome before it goes anywhere but as Tesco have already part funded similar schemes with other clubs I fail to see how it doesn't add up, when it's already been done elsewhere. What's the flaw in the plan little scumlettes?

LOL. Where have you got the idea that this store would be the size of the one at North Harbour? I've not seen that mentioned anywhere. Tesco do have different sized stores to the North Harbour one you feckin' idiot. :D

Not saying it will happen, lots of planning obtacles to overcome before it goes anywhere but as Tesco have already part funded similar schemes with other clubs I fail to see how it doesn't add up, when it's already been done elsewhere. What's the flaw in the plan little scumlettes?

Going for the 'Tesco Value' option then?

Supermarket sweet for Pompey?

Published Date:

21 March 2009

By David Hurley and Rory O'Keeffe

Pompey are looking to strike a deal with Tesco over a new supermarket next to Fratton Park to fund the ground's redevelopment, The News can reveal.

Sources say the supermarket giant hopes to build a store of a similar size to the one at North Harbour.

With 70 per cent of the £22m cost of redeveloping Fratton set to be provided by the new supermarket, it is the most crucial part of Pompey's plan.

But senior council figures have urged caution, insisting a decision on any supermarket – to be built on the club's car park, near to the Etap Hotel – could be taken out of their hands by government inspectors.

City council leader Gerald Vernon-Jackson said: 'It's too big a store for us to decide on alone.

'The government will look at it and they must take into account local and national planning regulations, which include rules against building new out-of-town superstores if they will damage city centre and high street shops.

'In this case we would expect them to look at whether this store would damage stores close to Commercial Road and Asda at Fratton.

'When Tesco built its North Harbour store, it made a deal by promising to keep its Cosham store open.

'If it can make guarantees that high street and town centre shops won't lose out and shut down, it may succeed, but regulations point to a potentially difficult time.'

If Pompey go through with their new plans for Fratton Park it will increase the capacity of the ground by a third.

The club has said it hopes to have planning permission in place by the end of the summer, with work beginning in November.

Pompey said it still intends to move to Horsea Island – but this will not now be until 2018 at the earliest.

Mike Han****, MP for Portsmouth South, told The News that Pompey were running out of chances to get their stadium plans right.

Mr Han**** said: 'The club are going to have to prove to the planning committee and public they can justify putting a supermarket there.

'They will have to go through tests to see if there is a need for it. The council may have an emotional tie to the club but a government planning inspector will not.'

Mr Han**** said that the presence of Asda and Morrisons supermarkets nearby could put Pompey's plans in jeopardy.

He added: 'Morrisons and Asda may have a say on this. The club will not get this on a wing and a prayer. The law demands this is done properly.'

Nobody from Tesco or Pompey was available to comment.

Apology accepted.

Apology accepted.

:)

...but I keep getting this 'orrible thought that, what with our perilous financial situation, ol' Rupes would let them groundshare for some income while the "fartton redevel*cough*opment" takes place, only for it to inevitably grind to a halt and we get stuck with 'em camped out at SMS for years to come...:(

:)

...but I keep getting this 'orrible thought that, what with our perilous financial situation, ol' Rupes would let them groundshare for some income while the "fartton redevel*cough*opment" takes place, only for it to inevitably grind to a halt and we get stuck with 'em camped out at SMS for years to come...:(

No need to fret son. If it came to that all our gear is portable,,,,It will be just like Billy Smarts coming to town once a fortnight:D