BBC Red Button F1 Races

St Landrew

Just in case there are any F1 fans out there, BBC are showing some very good races from their previous era of coverage, as a precursor to their new time. It's an F1 Classic Races loop.

Just gone has been the Australian GP from 1994, where old timer Nigel Mansell came back to partner Damon Hill for a few races after the death of Senna, and promptly won the last one of the season. More notoriously, Michael Schumacher [yes as far back as then] won that year's championship by turning his damaged car into Hill, who could have just gone on to finish the race and win his first championship. But people were new to an era of crafty tactics. How familiar they look nowadays.

Anyway, as I type, another race from 1996 has been and gone, so I'll dive back into the action.

BTW, if you don't have the red button, it's freeview channel 301 or if you have a few freeview boxes it's no. 28.

Edited by St Landrew

And yes 1994 was a travesty. I don't get why Schumacher wasn't penalised either. He wasn't even driving a Ferrari.

Despite everything that Schumi went on to achieve after that, I have still never forgiven him for it. His official resonse to the incident was "I did not See him", yet the video replay clearly shows him turn his head and look at Hill before turning into him. That just proved what a dirty cheater he was and tarnished his image forever.

The record books show that he is the most successful driver of all time, but in my eyes he is just the dirtiest.

I think his failed attempt to pull the same stunt on Villeneurve in 1997 confirmed it for me.

Yeah, although Villeneuve should actually thank him for that because if he hadn't collided with Schumi he would have been off the track and into the gravel trap!