The Australian Grand Prix Thread

Arizona

Rosberg sets the pace in Friday practice. Ferrari had a hit and miss session. Red Bull, Toyota and Brawn GP put in strong showings. McLaren and BMW very disappointing.

Button is the bookies favourite for the race, although Rubinho has outpaced him in the practice sessions.

Second Practice session times:

1. ROSBERG Williams 1m26.053s

2. BARRICHELLO Brawn 1m26.157s

3. TRULLI Toyota 1m26.350s

4. WEBBER Red Bull 1m26.370s

5. BUTTON Brawn 1m26.374s

6. GLOCK Toyota 1m26.443s

7. NAKAJIMA Williams 1m26.560s

8. VETTEL Red Bull 1m26.740s

9. SUTIL Force India 1m27.040s

10. MASSA Ferrari 1m27.064s

11. RAIKKONEN Ferrari 1m27.204s

12. ALONSO Renault 1m27.232s

13. FISICHELLA Force India 1m27.282s

14. HEIDFELD BMW 1m27.317s

15. KUBICA BMW 1m27.398s

16. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso 1m27.479s

17. KOVALAINEN McLaren 1m27.802s

18. HAMILTON McLaren 1m27.813s

19. PIQUET Renault 1m27.828s

20. BUEMI Toro Rosso 1m28.076s

I suspect Ferrari are sandbagging a little, but I would love it if Macca, Ferrari, BMW and Renault (sorry Ponty) were nowhere near the pace this weekend.

I know its only practice, but interesting to see 6 of the top 7 cars being from teams with the controversial diffuser...

Well spotted. I really hope they don't ban it, otherwise it'll just be Webber and Vettel slogging it out for the title. :D

So that would be Sutil in the Force India battling the Ferraris for third spot!??! ;)

Raikkonen is finished IMO and Massa overperformed last season. If anyone is going to give Sutil a run for his money it will be Fisi or one of the Torro Rossos. I expect STR to come on strong in the second half, like last season.

Raikkonen is finished IMO and Massa overperformed last season. If anyone is going to give Sutil a run for his money it will be Fisi or one of the Torro Rossos. I expect STR to come on strong in the second half, like last season.

Bourdais is my outsider for the season.

Christ alive, this really is getting interesting, isn't it!?

Are these diffusers really making that much difference? Can those at the top now sustain it through an entire race, let alone all season?

I'm actually really looking forward to tomorrow morning. Naturally, being Macca through and through, I want Lew and Heikki up there however, I wouldn't mind seeing Jenson finally getting his lucky break.

Bourdais is my outsider for the season.

Got his autograph by pure chance after the qualifying for last seasons Belgian Grand Prix. I was in the Red Bull area in the big merchandise park by Eau Rouge buying a big RBR flag, when he appeared. Just about managed to get a quick photo, a signed postcard (which I gave to Minibaj) and got him to sign the flag. Sadly it was a dark blue flag and you can barely see it. :(

He nearly ran me over on a moped about 10 mins later too.

Fookin' brilliant! :D

Wonder how many of the Hamilton muppets who had no interest in F1 before 2007 will now jump on the Button band-waggon. I just hope the Ferrari's are that sh*t and aren't carrying a massive fuel load.

Beeb commentary seems to be holding up well so far. Great that they've kept Brundle and Legard seems much less of a mong than James Allen. The chemistry isn't really there with Humphries, DC and Jordan yet but they seem an interesting bunch and certainly better than Steve Ryder.

Wonder how many of the Hamilton muppets who had no interest in F1 before 2007 will now jump on the Button band-waggon. I just hope the Ferrari's are that sh*t and aren't carrying a massive fuel load.

Beeb commentary seems to be holding up well so far. Great that they've kept Brundle and Legard seems much less of a mong than James Allen. The chemistry isn't really there with Humphries, DC and Jordan yet but they seem an interesting bunch and certainly better than Steve Ryder.

Is there really anything wrong with just supporting your own countrymen?

Great start for Brawn but I can't help but think the dream is going to come tumbling down sooner or later for them. I hope it doesn't though! I've got a sneaky feeling that someone like Rosberg will in tomorrow though, not sure why.

I found it funny reading the papers yesterday as Hamilton was all of a sudden saying he would be willing to listen to offers from other teams in the future if they wanted him....what happened to pledging his whole career to McLaren? :rolleyes:

Good to see the BBC finally gave F1 it's proper music back too in the opening title sequence:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7969481.stm

Their coverage today was infinately better than anything ITV have given us in recent years (despite the slight loss of coverage at one point!). Glad it's back where it belongs! Now if only we could get all England internationals back to BBC and live Test Cricket back to Channel 4 I'll be sorted.

Have to agree with the previous poster on this Arizona. There's nothing wrong with shouting for your own countrymen. Though I suspect you are thinking of the breed of muppets, rather than supporters. For example, it might go like this:

In F1, one supports Hamilton, Button, etc... but admires Massa, Vettel, etc..

In MotoGP, one supports Toseland, but admires Rossi. You can have a split loyalty, and still not be a muppet.

And there's no confusion as to who we want to win. Except that being half Italian allows me want Rossi to win too..! ;)

As to the BBC coverage, I came in very late last night, and there was some Saturday practice going. I thought Jake Humphries to be his usual extremely professional self. How old is that guy..? He looks as if he's in his early 20's, and he presents like a mature anchorman. Coulthard and Jordon looked a bit itchy, but they don't have the presenting background. No doubt they'll find their feet, just as Brundle did.

Just before I turned the TV off to go to bed the thought struck me... no adverts..! How bloody wonderful. It improved the whole thing 1000%. I think I can actually look forward to this sideshow.

There is if you only do it when they are winning. Kind of defies the point of support.

It's a bit difficult to follow the driver you support if the coverage just follows the drivers at Ferrari, McLaren, etc... Thankfully, the BBC has no recent history on this, so they aren't going to look foolish. And I expect a rather more balanced output from them. LeGod forbid, if ITV had stumbled on, they would have looked extremely plastic, with their fawning over Hamilton, Ferrari, etc... during their coverage period.

EDIT: But this season raises the question again.. is it the driver who wins a championship, or is it the car..? Who is actually best..?

Edited by St Landrew

It's a bit difficult to follow the driver you support if the coverage just follows the drivers at Ferrari, McLaren, etc... Thankfully, the BBC has no recent history on this, so they aren't going to look foolish. And I expect a rather more balanced output from them. LeGod forbid, if ITV had stumbled on, they would have looked extremely plastic, with their fawning over Hamilton, Ferrari, etc... during their coverage period.

EDIT: But this season raises the question again.. is it the driver who wins a championship, or is it the car..? Who is actually best..?

Ah, I guess there's nothing wrong with it really, I just had a traumatised childhood. And by that I mean I've been a fan of David Coulthard since I was 8 years old. :D

I know a few Man Utd/Arsenal fans. You know the type, one from Pompey, one from Exeter, one from Swansea, never been to a game but always there to take the p*ss out of small teams. No previous interest in F1, but when Hamilton pops up as a Champ contender in mid 2007 they're all suddenly Hamaniacs.

I don't know. To me it's like a family member not wanting to know you when your house burns down, you get divorced and your dog gets run over all in a weekend. Then you win the lottery and it's all "Ooooh look, how is my favourite uncle/son/nephew etc."

To answer your question, the Championship winner is usually the best driver out of the two in the best car. By best I include reliability and consistency as well as raw pace.

Ah, I guess there's nothing wrong with it really, I just had a traumatised childhood. And by that I mean I've been a fan of David Coulthard since I was 8 years old. :D

I know a few Man Utd/Arsenal fans. You know the type, one from Pompey, one from Exeter, one from Swansea, never been to a game but always there to take the p*ss out of small teams. No previous interest in F1, but when Hamilton pops up as a Champ contender in mid 2007 they're all suddenly Hamaniacs.

I don't know. To me it's like a family member not wanting to know you when your house burns down, you get divorced and your dog gets run over all in a weekend. Then you win the lottery and it's all "Ooooh look, how is my favourite uncle/son/nephew etc."

To answer your question, the Championship winner is usually the best driver out of the two in the best car. By best I include reliability and consistency as well as raw pace.

And that's a good answer. I raised the question because, last season it was clear who ITV thought was the best driver in the pack - Hamilton, with Alonso, and latterly Massa, being a close second. Now Lewis may well be the best driver; he's certainly a superb wet surface driver, and one who can tame a car without driver aids. For comparison, one can look at Raikkonnen, who was World Champion, yet clearly isn't quite the full package, as his car control in less than ideal conditions is flawed. He was also slower than his teammate last season, while Hamilton was miles ahead of his.

It will be interesting to see whether Hamilton can claw some competitiveness out of the McLaren, and where Kovalainen ends up. Perhaps then we'll see how good Hamilton really is. My hunch is that he'll show his real racing pedigree. But will we give credit where it's deserved, now that the spotlight is off him..?

BTW, come on Jenson..! ;)

Toyota (Glock 6th and Trulli 8th) and Lewis (15th) demoted to the back of the grid. The FIA have suddenly decided Toyota's difuser is illegal after all (nothing to do with them outqualifying the Ferraris I'm sure). :rolleyes: Lewis needs a gearbox change.

Apparently the FIA are looking into the legality of the other teams difusers late into the night. So we can probably expect a final grid of:

1. Vettel

2. Kubica

3. Massa

4. Raikkonen

Kubica goes on to win from the 2 Ferraris, but is then disqualified for having an illegal haircut.

Toyota (Glock 6th and Trulli 8th) and Lewis (15th) demoted to the back of the grid. The FIA have suddenly decided Toyota's difuser is illegal after all (nothing to do with them outqualifying the Ferraris I'm sure). :rolleyes: Lewis needs a gearbox change.

Apparently the FIA are looking into the legality of the other teams difusers late into the night. So we can probably expect a final grid of:

1. Vettel

2. Kubica

3. Massa

4. Raikkonen

Kubica goes on to win from the 2 Ferraris, but is then disqualified for having an illegal haircut.

Nothing to do with the diffuser actually, their rear wing has been deemed 'too flexible' and therefore illegal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7969641.stm

There is if you only do it when they are winning. Kind of defies the point of support.

Absolutely. I went to Silverstone in 2004 and all the british fans were wearing BAR Honda caps and cheering wildly for Jenson as he actually had a half decent car under him that season and looked like he might get a result.

I then went in 2007 (Hamilton's first season) and I was so angry when they did a run-through of the drivers on the giant screens. When Hamilton came up there was a massive roar from the crowd (who this time were all wearing Maclaren caps and shirts) and when it showed Jenson he hardly even got a ripple of applause. I was utterly ashamed, but not in the least surprised by this sickening dislpay of fickleness.

FWIW I was happy for Hamilton because it was good to see a brit winning the title, but I will be grinning from ear to ear if Button beats him this season.

Absolutely. I went to Silverstone in 2004 and all the british fans were wearing BAR Honda caps and cheering wildly for Jenson as he actually had a half decent car under him that season and looked like he might get a result.

I then went in 2007 (Hamilton's first season) and I was so angry when they did a run-through of the drivers on the giant screens. When Hamilton came up there was a massive roar from the crowd (who this time were all wearing Maclaren caps and shirts) and when it showed Jenson he hardly even got a ripple of applause. I was utterly ashamed, but not in the least surprised by this sickening dislpay of fickleness.

FWIW I was happy for Hamilton because it was good to see a brit winning the title, but I will be grinning from ear to ear if Button beats him this season.

Ditto.

For me when I went to Spa last year, I wasn't so much bothered about Hamilton, but it was hugely significant for me because it would be the only chance I'd get to see DC race live.

I was actually stood next to a bloke proudly flying a Colombian flag on a pole, with JPM splashed accross the front. Fair play to him. :lol:

I'm Macca through and through, so will of course be wanting Lewis and Heikki to kick arse, but that doesn't stop me hoping Jenson does well, seeing as he's one of our own.

Interesting that Toyota have now been caught out with something else, going to be intriguing to see how this all pans out with the diffuser situation seeing as all results are effectively provisional until the hearing. We could have a completely different table in four weeks time if they do turn out to be illegal.

Apparently Macca are already developing something though, just in case they aren't!

My top secret inside source in the Paddock has just sent me some top secret inside information on the starting fuel for tomorrows race. According to my top secret inside source, the cars have enough fuel to run until lap:

Button - 22

Rubinho - 23

Vettel - 20

Kubica - 17

Rosberg - 20

Massa - 18

Raikkonen - 18

Looking good for Brawn and JB in particular. Just hope the car is reliable and they don't make any silly mistakes.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&id=45376

My top secret inside source in the Paddock has just sent me some top secret inside information on the starting fuel for tomorrows race. According to my top secret inside source, the cars have enough fuel to run until lap:

Button - 22

Rubinho - 23

Vettel - 20

Kubica - 17

Rosberg - 20

Massa - 18

Raikkonen - 18

Looking good for Brawn and JB in particular. Just hope the car is reliable and they don't make any silly mistakes.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=James_Allen&id=45376

I notice your top secret source is that much maligned James Allen, who knows a lot more than people give him credit for, and actually was just a bad commentator, not a bad pundit.

I'm Macca through and through, so will of course be wanting Lewis and Heikki to kick arse, but that doesn't stop me hoping Jenson does well, seeing as he's one of our own.

Interesting that Toyota have now been caught out with something else, going to be intriguing to see how this all pans out with the diffuser situation seeing as all results are effectively provisional until the hearing. We could have a completely different table in four weeks time if they do turn out to be illegal.

Apparently Macca are already developing something though, just in case they aren't!

You do realise you're cheering on the Kiwis then..? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_McLaren

No bad thing, I suppose.

I notice your top secret source is that much maligned James Allen, who knows a lot more than people give him credit for, and actually was just a bad commentator, not a bad pundit.

Actually my top secret sauce was the FIA, who published the amount of fuel left in the cars after qualifying. Any idiot with a calculator (and that's not a dig at Allen) can work out how many laps they can then go and comment on who has performed well relative to their fuel loads.

Allen does know his stuff, but as a commentator he is just too annoying and states the obvious a little too often.

First impressions of the BBC are good. In my ideal world we'd still have Louise in the pits and Damon Hill involved in some capacity, but Legard, Jordan and Coulthard make a refreshing chance IMO.

Wow, wow, what a race!

Well chuffed that both the nasty red cars ended up out. Really pleased that Jenson won in the absence of our man Hamilton not being able to get up there.

Saying that, Lewis raced incredibly well to get up to fourth from the back - which is now actually third as Trulli has been given a 25s penalty for overtaking him under the safety car. What started out this morning as a damage limitation excercise for Macca has actually turned into a bloody good day at the races for Lewis. Bloomin' brilliant.

Incidentally, Vettel has also been penalised for the Kubica collision - 10 place grid penalty for Malaysia.

fokken German...Vettel this time, Kubica was fastest on the track

Kubica have bad luck with germans either it is his team mate Heidfeld not letting him past him or the team have bad strategy for Kubica , becouse they are wanting Heidfeld to be their nr 1 driver

Complete a*se gravy IMO. Heidfeld let Kubica through in Montreal to stop him from finishing about 10th after he had pitted. Nick new he was probably throwing away his first F1 win, but did it for the team anyway.

I think the crash today was just a racing incident. Kubica I think left enough space, but Vettel's tyres were fooked and he just couldn't slow down and turn in enough.

The 10 place penalty is harsh and a real shame for the Malay race. By the looks of it McLaren, STR, Renault and Force India are the only teams not capable of winning at the moment.

Great Drive from Hamilton. From the back of the grid to 4th. And then moving up to 3rd as Trulli overtook on yellows. Cracking result.

A steady drive, but hardly great. If it weren't for other people fookin' it up he'd have been behind Kubica, Vettel, Webber, 2 Ferraris and 2 Toyotas which could have left him as low as 10th. Credit to him for keeping it on the Island in one piece, but there was a lot of luck involved.

A steady drive, but hardly great. If it weren't for other people fookin' it up he'd have been behind Kubica, Vettel, Webber, 2 Ferraris and 2 Toyotas which could have left him as low as 10th. Credit to him for keeping it on the Island in one piece, but there was a lot of luck involved.

Quite amusing really, if Mickey the Shoe had started on the back row and finished 3rd (or even 4th in real time) there would have been a queue of folks looking to vanish up his backside for days.

Quite amusing really, if Mickey the Shoe had started on the back row and finished 3rd (or even 4th in real time) there would have been a queue of folks looking to vanish up his backside for days.

Hmmmm so the same queue that are poised and ready at Hamiltons butt cheeks then? There's no difference in the two only that Schumacher was more deserving of the praise thus far. And I didn't even like the guy much.

Anyway...Great race, for the first time in ages I sat and enjoyed an entire race. That said although congratulations should go to Button I don't think this guy is a world champion by any stretch. If he ends up there at the end of the season it'll be a sorry state of affairs IMO and I personally find it a shame to see the likes of the McClarens and Ferraris floundering around at the back of the pack. Think Massa had a good solid drive until the car broke down and I did enjoy seeing everyone scrapping it out mind.

So if/when Mc and Ferrari figure out how to make there cars perform (because the two teams both had great balance) AND then we have Brawn, Williams, Red Bull and these two scrapping it out on an even keel this will be one hell of a season. Then and only then if Button is still beating these guys then fair play....

Tbh, I think Hamilton did exactly what I thought he'd do, which was to show his racing prowess. He did as good as he could, given the machinery under him. Other drivers blew their chances while chasing the faster cars and places, but Lewis kept it tight, raced where he could, moved up where he could, and deserved his 3rd place, even if the car didn't. He got demoted enough times last season, why not let him be the beneficiary occassionally..? Credit where it was due. Lucky or not, grudging or not, you have to tip your hat. He kept it on track, and maximised the points behind VirginGP. Oops..! ;)

And very, very well done Jenson and Rubens too. Even if one fluffed a pitstop, and the other fluffed the start. They deserved their success. Just hope the Japanese fate spirit doesn't tramsmit in machinery to my Honda. They must be slightly sick.

Hmmmm so the same queue that are poised and ready at Hamiltons butt cheeks then? There's no difference in the two only that Schumacher was more deserving of the praise thus far. And I didn't even like the guy much.

Anyway...Great race, for the first time in ages I sat and enjoyed an entire race. That said although congratulations should go to Button I don't think this guy is a world champion by any stretch. If he ends up there at the end of the season it'll be a sorry state of affairs IMO and I personally find it a shame to see the likes of the McClarens and Ferraris floundering around at the back of the pack. Think Massa had a good solid drive until the car broke down and I did enjoy seeing everyone scrapping it out mind.

So if/when Mc and Ferrari figure out how to make there cars perform (because the two teams both had great balance) AND then we have Brawn, Williams, Red Bull and these two scrapping it out on an even keel this will be one hell of a season. Then and only then if Button is still beating these guys then fair play....

There is no shame, it's just what you're used to. 10+ years ago Williams were the class of the field, and there were the times of Lotus, Tyrrell, Cooper, and others. There should be no tradition in any sport. Only winners to topple. Well done BrawnGP.

There is no shame, it's just what you're used to. 10+ years ago Williams were the class of the field, and there were the times of Lotus, Tyrrell, Cooper, and others. There should be no tradition in any sport. Only winners to topple. Well done BrawnGP.

Absolutely.

Remember 1998, the last time we had a radical rule change and the Mclarens lapped the entire field in Melbourne with Coulthard letting Hakkinen past on the last lap :( Anyway, it was only 2 races later in Argentina that Schumi had the beating of them.

This season I think will be different. Brawn I fear will soon be caught and passed in terms of development with their limited budget. However teams like RBR and Toyota do have the solid finances and infrastructure to challenge Ferrari and Macca long term. Just MHO of course.