Manchester City, your thoughts...

PES

.... now a joke club and I hope it all goes tits up, although it could be quite funny as who knows, it could upset the 'Big four'?

Oh one more thought, with Man City buying Robinho, where does that leave SWP? He's gotta feel sick and very confused. (poor boy). :(

.... now a joke club and I hope it all goes tits up, although it could be quite funny as who knows, it could upset the 'Big four'?

Oh one more thought, with Man City buying Robinho, where does that leave SWP? He's gotta feel sick and very confused. (poor boy). :(

Fair play to the club. Would love to see someone other than the big four taking on the new guys.

So let me get this right...... pompey fan upset that a club who when in the championship got twice the amount of fans through the gate as they do in the prem, is upset that they have got some money to spend :D

Pot,Kettle.

To be fair Man City have just a climbed a step up the respectability ladder whereas Pompey, if rumours are to be believed, are about to further entrench their position at the bottom with the signing of repugnant, violent thug, Joey Barton.

I love Joey Barton.

As for Man City, i bet if Sven was there they woulda blown wonga left right and centre today

So let me get this right...... pompey fan upset that a club who when in the championship got twice the amount of fans through the gate as they do in the prem, is upset that they have got some money to spend :D

I know, I know. But where does it all end? :(

I know, I know. But where does it all end? :(

Actually pes, ive read your posts for a while and you seem a half decent skate.

The question you raise is valid, Utd cant match these big boys spending and the rest of the league can't match utd, so as somebody else pointed out, the big four will become the big five and it becomes a ****ing contest for the best players amoungst themselves. Where that leaves everybody else is up for debate, but football as i knew it and grew up with my Grandad and my Dad has gone...... not forever, but until this money bubble bursts

Giving it another 5 years surely QPR and Aston Villa should of caught up as they also are super rich, Premiership is moving towards being a billionaires playground.

Not according to Bernie Ecclestone. Apparently he's not keen to spend all the dosh neccessary to make QPR one of the big clubs. I must say, I would have thought the revamping of Loftus Road, or the building of a new stadium, plus the building up of a club big enough to persuade people away from Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs would be an expensive order.

Better to pop down the M3 where Saints have everything in place and no competition. ;)

Actually, that's not a million miles away from the truth. Pompey the club team are Premiership standard. Pompey the club infrastructure are barely Championship standard. It can be faster to buy a playing standard than get a stadium from drawing board to finished product.

Actually pes, ive read your posts for a while and you seem a half decent skate.

The question you raise is valid, Utd cant match these big boys spending and the rest of the league can't match utd, so as somebody else pointed out, the big four will become the big five and it becomes a ****ing contest for the best players amoungst themselves. Where that leaves everybody else is up for debate, but football as i knew it and grew up with my Grandad and my Dad has gone...... not forever, but until this money bubble bursts

I agree, whilst I enjoy the quality of the players at FP these days, somehow it all feels abit empty. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it. Anyway, thanks for the nice comments Gemmel. I'm off to bed now, I'm transfered windowed out. What a load of old over hyped Sh*t. :)

I lol'd massively when City signed Robinho, they might be bothering the Arsenal for 4th place this season. Although Jo looks like a pile of crap, not worth that ridiculous fee they paid for him. Robinho will revolutionise the club and then be off to Chelsea next year for £50m.

Not according to Bernie Ecclestone. Apparently he's not keen to spend all the dosh neccessary to make QPR one of the big clubs. I must say, I would have thought the revamping of Loftus Road, or the building of a new stadium, plus the building up of a club big enough to persuade people away from Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs would be an expensive order.

Better to pop down the M3 where Saints have everything in place and no competition. ;)

Actually, that's not a million miles away from the truth. Pompey the club team are Premiership standard. Pompey the club infrastructure are barely Championship standard. It can be faster to buy a playing standard than get a stadium from drawing board to finished product.[/QUOTE]

Aint that the truth!:(

Firstly, the prospect of Citeh fighting for trophies on equal (kinda) terms with Man Utd is one I relish.

Secondly, yet another example of football no longer being a sport, more a rich mans plaything. Why don't they all f*ck off to a European superleague and let the real clubs fight it out.

Hart

Zabaleta

Richards

Dunne

Ball

Elano

Kompany

Johnson

SWP

Jo

Robinho

SUBS

Onuoha

Schmeichel

Ben Haim

Hamann

Petrov

Bojinov

Sturridge

Arsenal and Liverpool should be very worried.

OR

Hart

Zabaleta

Richards

Dunne

Ball

SWP

Elano

Kompany

Petrov

Jo

Robinho (Robinho playing off of Jo)

They got OWNED by Real's president:

"The fact that he has accepted an offer from Manchester City says that he is not going for sporting reasons." LOL

Also the fact that Real were, pretty publicly, touting Robinho around as a makeweight in any potential Cristiano Ronaldo deal probably told Robinho that they weren't all that bothered about keeping him, so no, it's probably not a "sporting reason", rather a "morale" reason insomuch as he's now at a club who are quite clearly absolutely delighted (and probably a bit stunned!) to have him.

clubs simply shouldn't be allowed to operate with such large debts.

But then there would be only a handful of teams in each league.

Michel Platini was saying the other day that he wanted to investigate the finances of clubs and only allow those who have unsustainable debts to enter UEFA competitions (presumably another of his ways to prevent English clubs being successful, if you listen to the conspiracy theorists :D). However, I really don't see how that could ever be enforced.

Those in charge would just say "I'm the owner, it's my money and I've written off the debt to the club (except for that secret IOU for £500m that's locked away in the safe)", and there would be nothing UEFA or anyone else could do about it.

Salary capping is a waste of time, what's the point in enforcing a 50% wages/turnover ratio when Arsenal (not a particularly world-renowned club) bring in £200m revenue? That means they're still free to spend £100m on wages, which is equivalent to 40 Emmanuel Adebayors on £50k a week.

Salary capping is a waste of time, what's the point in enforcing a 50% wages/turnover ratio when Arsenal (not a particularly world-renowned club) bring in £200m revenue? That means they're still free to spend £100m on wages, which is equivalent to 40 Emmanuel Adebayors on £50k a week.

Don't cap salaries based on turnover then, have a fixed amount as a salary cap for every club in the league. That's how salary caps normally work.

They got OWNED by Real's president:

"The fact that he has accepted an offer from Manchester City says that he is not going for sporting reasons." LOL

Two ways of looking at at that, one being he was not going to stay at Madrid whatever.

I think City may have the wherewithall now to be top three.

Pretty soon they're going to be as offensively arrogant and plastic as Chelsea. But for yesterday's shots of incredulous Citeh fans going mental because their club is suddenly minted, for sticking one up Peter Kenyon, and for forcing Manure to pay an extra £10m for Berbatov, thankyou.

But yes, pretty soon the Premier League is going to become a closed shop with no relegation and portable franchises. And frankly the sooner the better and we can all give up the charade.

Don't cap salaries based on turnover then, have a fixed amount as a salary cap for every club in the league. That's how salary caps normally work.

Yeah I know, but it would probably be even more unworkable to do it that way. Can you imagine ManYoo accepting that they can only pay the same amount in salaries as Wigan, Hull or Stoke, when they bring in 6 or 7 times their revenue?

They would (quite legitimately from a business perspective) class that as a restriction of trade.

There is no "fair" way of doing it now. With clubs generating their own revenue rather than clubs generating revenue for the league as a whole (as I believe is the case with other sports that operate salary caps), there is absolutely no way they could impose restrictions designed to even out the playing field. It works in various American sports because the restrictions have (as far as I'm aware) been in place ever since the competitions began, although quite how LA Galaxy fit David Beckham into their wage structure I'm not too sure.

although quite how LA Galaxy fit David Beckham into their wage structure I'm not too sure.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he actual 'wage' is equal to £35,000 per week.

But of course, there is another £200,000plus per week in extras.

There is no "fair" way of doing it now. With clubs generating their own revenue rather than clubs generating revenue for the league as a whole (as I believe is the case with other sports that operate salary caps), there is absolutely no way they could impose restrictions designed to even out the playing field... etc, etc, lots of true stuff

As correct as Steve undoubtedly is, I can't help but think it could be summed up far more simply:

Thanks to money, Football is f*cked. :cool:

All the talk of the top 4 breaking away is a great idea, because in my opinion, the PL is of a poor standard outside the top four anyway. It always shows in competitions such as the UEFA cup. Spurs, Everton just couldnt compete with half decent european teams who in their own leagues, are of a similar stature as themselves