Passwords

St Landrew

I've got my own problem now, and it's starting to p!ss me off a bit. The other day I was doing some surfing, and I found that on restart of IE7 [now IE8], it was no longer remembering my passwords anywhere. My webmail account has to be signed in every time, which means my iGoogle page is not there. I even have to sign into this website every time, and every where I go where previously there has been a password.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if I ask Windows to remember every password and login, or tick a button which asks the website to remember me; every thing is forgotten once I restart the computer, or sometimes restart IE, or even if I've been away from a particular website for more than 20 minutes or so. Its peculiar to this PC as my other computers don't have any problems at all.

I know theres an answer [just like The Beach Boys said], but I'm buggered if I can remember it. Anybody got any suggestions..?

Tools --> Internet Options --> Privacy Tab --> Click Advanced --> Tick 'Override automatic cookie handling' --> Tick 'Always allow session cookies' --> Click OK.

This resolved a similar issue I was having with machines in the office not remembering details.

Surely thats a good thing StL?

Found my solution Pancake. As some nerd members might know, I'm in favour of 2 HDDs per PC, so I have a system disk and data disk. Hence, I just saved my e-mail pst's and favourites, and reinstalled WindowsXP SP2. Halfway through the install I remembered that I'm a signed on Windows 7 tester, which I haven't bothered with since about 24 hours after I first installed it, some months ago, and then ditched it. Looks like it is the perfect time for it again. Free modern OS, which I can truly bugger about with and my data is relatively safe.

Win/win solution. Oh bugger, there's a pun lurking there, sorry. Should take me through to August, where I shall not take up Microsoft's option to buy, and fresh install WinXP SP2, and thence SP3 and beyond. That reads a tad Toy Storyish.

The End.

EDIT: Oh BTW, Mewsta... I did as you bid with high hopes, and it didn't make any difference, hence the reinstall/install. But cheers for the input.

Edited by St Landrew