Your best and worst bets ever

doublesaint

Best was backing Garrison Savannah in the Gold Cup, which paid for my offshore survival course, resulting in me being here in sunny Africa, worst was a couple of hundred quid ante post bet on Saratogan the year Nashwan won the 2000 Guineas, went down to watch the race at Newmarket, felt like I was the only person on the whole course who had not backed the winner, hence have never liked Newmarket since, always bloody freezing there anyway, plus a crap view and on occasion, a load of violence especially outside the football season.

Worst case: November 2008 - layed a horse 'in play' at Fontwell @ 50/1. It was 4th and well beaten, only to find a second wind and the other 3 going backwards. Lost £1259

Best case: May 2008 - done a £35 Ante-Post football accumulator with Bet365 in September 2007 on 7 divisions. They all won & picked up £32,768.23

Best bet was at Windsor (my local track) races a couple of years ago. I bet on a horse called Aahayson at 24-1, £10 to win. I don't normally bet so much, certainly not on a horse to win, but it came up trumps and I won £250. I normally look at form but on this occasion I went for it because my girlfriend's name is Aaran. (but that's another story.)

Worst bet was Saints staying up in the Prem relegaton season.

Best bet was at Windsor (my local track) races a couple of years ago. I bet on a horse called Aahayson at 24-1, £10 to win. I don't normally bet so much, certainly not on a horse to win, but it came up trumps and I won £250. I normally look at form but on this occasion I went for it because my girlfriend's name is Aaran. (but that's another story.)

Worst bet was Saints staying up in the Prem relegaton season.

Talking of Windsor, I am off there soon for the May day bank holiday weekend, family funday, so taking the fiance and children as well for 2 nights, any recommendations for things to do in Windsor, including 2 children?:D

Talking of Windsor, I am off there soon for the May day bank holiday weekend, family funday, so taking the fiance and children as well for 2 nights, any recommendations for things to do in Windsor, including 2 children?:D

Legoland

Legoland is one of the obvious choices, but as an ex-passenger boat skipper in Windsor I will talk up the boat trips from the promenade! Not too expensive and fun for the kids. Plus there's a bar on board. You could picnic on the Brocas, weather pending, too. Depending on how old the children are, there's a little kiddy funfair a short walk up the promenade too. It's been there since I was a kid.

Having lived there all my life it's hard to view it through the eyes of a tourist. I've never been in the castle for instance!

best £2000 on Gallileo 2001 King George, won at 4-6

worst - £500 on bosra sham in the Eclipse, about 99 i think that was

dont really bet that much these days, take a couple of hundred quid to the greyhounds now and then, or about £500 to royal ascot, thats about it

although a large wager on geoff ogilvy for the masters this week might be a licence to print money

Best- £25 on Spain to win the Euro's and Villa to be top scorer @ 40/1

Worst- £10 on Saints to qualify for Europe in relegation season....

Oh and Ogilvy? Never, Garcia £5 e/w and Tim Clark the same

Garcia is the 'new Colin Montgomerie':D, he is either very very unlucky or one of the biggest chokers in the game.

Had a good first day at Cheltenham this year but that was all internet money, can't beat that feeling of having the cash counted out in your hand. My fondest memory was Cheltenham Festival 2000, I'd already collected on Monsigneur in a Nov Hurdle, one of Henrietta's, whose name escapes me, in the Sun Alliance Chase and a sizeable chunk on Edredon Bleu, in the Champion Chase (I loved that horse). I really liked the look of a Mullins horse in the bumper, it was probably his 3rd string in the race, it only had one form line on fast ground at Tralee the previous summer but it had Charlie Swann on board Joe Cullen, £50 at 14/1. I was one of only a few in the stand shouting Charlie home. Still remember that buzz.

After collecting I couldn't get to the car quick enough, every pocket I had was bulging with used notes.

Happy days.

Only ever bet small amounts so it doesn't stand up to previous posts and I stick with boxing mostly "stick to what you know".

Best: Calzaghe 1st round knockout of an east european guy (forget his name) at 28/1.

Hasim Rachman beating Lennox at 10/1

Barrera beating Hamed at 8/1 (now that was easy money - anyone who'd seen Barrera fight Morales could see how that one would play out).

Worst: Just about anything I put on the National.

I'm not an overly heavy better, I dabble on the horses and the footy sometimes, but I stick the old adage and 'only bet what I can afford to lose'

Best - Won £200 from a £5 placepot at Newbury a few months ago, was pretty happy with that.

Worst - got stung badly on the Euro's this year. Just seemed to back the wrong team in every match I bet on. Bet quite heavily on Croatia to do a severely weakened Turkey outright in the knockout stages, that last kick of the game equaliser really hurt.

My best bet was in 2003, £100 on Warrsan to win at Newmarket, was up against Millenary that day, one of Godolphins top string. Didnt take a price, watched in horror as he drifted from 6s to 12s (i thought something was seriously wrong!) he cruised home by about 5lengths! :-)

Worst bet Brazil to win World cup 2002 & not doubling up with Ronaldo top scorer!!.

My longest ever winning odds on one event is 66/1.

This was the price Saints were to score the most goals in the Prem the day they put 6 (S-I-X) past Man Utd.

I only put a quid on but still a great bet.

Coral dropped this bet off of their coupons as rarely did the favoured teams score the most goals. Most fans (like me) would back their own team and often a long odds one would win it.

Good thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Best bet would probably be £50 ew on Collier Bay in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham 1996 at 16's ( SP 12/1). In those days I could afford that size bet but no longer :(

I try and forget my worst bets but somewhat perversely it was probably a £500 bet on a 1/2 shot when I made the near fatal error of chasing my losses. Luckily it won but it was still an awful bet !

Biggest win = £250 + £50 stake, banked today. £50 @ 5-1 last June on Saints relegation, when I heard of Portvliet/Wotte appointment. That was never ever ever going to work. I'm not gloating. Feel free to Google Kevin Cullis.

Worst loss £150 on Italy to beat USA, couple of World Cups ago. It was a punch-up resulting in a draw. I will never bet on Italy again.