The Qatar MotoGP

St Landrew

I'm am really looking forward to this. All the teams are on the same Bridgestone tyres, after screw-ups from Michelin last season, and after the falling away of Kawasaki, many of the teams are very close in testing times. There will be the usual suspects. Casey Stoner, Jorge Lorenzo, and Dani Pedrosa. I'm hoping, nay expecting James Toseland to improve on his debut season, and I want Colin Edwards to win one in his last. Also someone else apart from Stoner has to tame the beast that is the Ducati, and Nicky Hayden has to do it, or he'll be a back marker.

I shall be looking for a resumption of close racing, where you can throw a blanket over half a dozen riders, multiple overtaking maneuvers per lap, and lean angles to make me wince.

Add to that the unbeatable combination of Charlie Watts and Steve Parrish as commentators. And Suzi Perry at night-time. What could be better..?

Stoner got the Ducati flying right from the off and is in Pole Position for tonight's 1st race of the season at 8.45 on BBC3. Rossi is P2, witrh Lorenzo 3rd. Nicky Hayden high-sided in spectacular fashion [there's no unspectacular way to high-side], and may not race. Hopefully, that was just a blip, and we are NOT going to see a virtually one-man Ducati team again for this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7995463.stm

Stoner got the Ducati flying right from the off and is in Pole Position for tonight's 1st race of the season at 8.45 on BBC3. Rossi is P2, witrh Lorenzo 3rd. Nicky Hayden high-sided in spectacular fashion [there's no unspectacular way to high-side], and may not race. Hopefully, that was just a blip, and we are NOT going to see a virtually one-man Ducati team again for this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7995463.stm

Cheers St Landrew.........been looking for what time and channel the Doctor starts his defense;)

No chance of lobbing it on as the last race of the season then?

Also, I've only been following MotoGP for a couple of years, but presumably other weekends must have been cancelled due to weather?

Being a bit of a MotoGP nerd, I tend to record the races throughout the season, so that I can occasionally come back to a particularly exciting spot in a race, if and whenever I choose. For example, last year at Laguna Seca is one long segment of excitement from start to finish.

Today, Aunt Beeb are not shoving their schedules around like they may have done in the past, but putting the Qatar race LIVE on the Red Button and the BBC Sport website. This could present a problem if you want to record the race. However, if you have a Freeview box, the Red Button channels are numbers 301 and 302 [there are others too], and so forget that bloody button and simply go to 301 and record that from 1845 tonight. If they do an edition, MotoGP Extra should follow immediately afterwards, and they always put that on 301 anyway, so it should be seamless. race starts at 1900, and the whole transmission should last 90 mins or so.

There you go. Become a MotoGP nerd. It helps if you have a motorbike too. ;)

And as we all know now, after several opportunities to watch the race:

1] Casey Stoner ran away from the rest, and only Valentino Rossi chased.

2] Nicky Hayden couldn't make the other works Ducati go fast. Was it all due to injury..?

3] James Toseland was slow. Much slower than expected. Was it due to his injuries..?

4] Qatar should never hold a race in the evening again. In fact, no venue should hold a race during the evening, unless it's an endurance or 24 hour job.

5] Suzi Perry is ill. Poor girl. Hurry back, as Matt Roberts is no anchor.

1]Stoner 2]Rossi 3]Lorenzo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7996183.stm