Google Chrome

pedg

Whoopee... ANOTHER browser that I've got to use to test my work, which no doubt will have various little oddities that differ from the W3C standards that the developers thought would be "more intuitive", but in actual fact just makes development more difficult and confusing.

Also currently posting - first impressions are that it looks like an application an amateur would make. Seems pretty slow also - maybe it will speed up as it starts to cache.

Appears reasonably fast to me but on about a fast a network that you can get so most things work fast. Bit confusing finding the bookmarks (need to go under customise and set always display bookmarks otherwise only see them when you create a new tab. Also it appears to only work with a release candidate version of java which I don't want to install in case it screws up some of my 'real' work.

Guest Hacienda
Posting this using it. Not sure about the more minimal interface compared to other browsers (lack of a menu bar slightly disconcerting for some reason) but may give it a go for a while.

Anyone else tried it yet?

A bit odd not having a menu bar and the non obvious bookmarks as well.

It's way faster than my firefox though and I like the in built spell checker.

I'll have another play with it when I get home.

"Incognito" mode is interesting... basically doesn't save any history, cookies or passwords on your computer from pages viewed in that mode.

The introductory message about it is amusing though...

They felt the need to point out that 'people behind you' can see what you're doing!!

They've put a lot of time and effort into this haven't they?

Another quite nifty little feature is to compare the memory usage of currently-opened browsers.

Obviously the Firefox reading has to take into account that I'm running 5 add-ons (Firebug, McAfee SiteAdvisor, Web Developer, Del.icio.us and AdBlock Plus), but even so there's an enormous difference.

about_memory.jpg

Incognito mode is nothing groundbreaking though is it? 'Private Browsing' mode is available in Safari and can be turned on/off or a customisable 'Browser Reset' and wipe of whatever aspects of your browsing history you want is just a 2-click operation - this has been standard for as long as I've been using Macs. Similar private browsing has also been available in Firefox for some time (although I don't use Firefox as I find it slow and cumbersome compared to Safari.)

There been a lot of stink over what Google is doing with Chrome: Compiling even more data on you and targeting you with ads even more than already do, and you agreeing that you irrevocably grant copyright permission to Google on any material you display or post through their service. Interesting reads below... suggest you digest it before installing/using Chrome and agreeing to Google taking over your life ;)

Get ready for more ads

Copyright - Waiving your rights

Think people are making too much of a fuss over what is almost certainly an unenforceable EULA. Eventually Chrome is going to be open source so people can see exactly what it is or is not doing under the hood which is more than can be said for IE or safari.

But will you be tied to the EULA you agreed on sign up - ie the old one if you signed up before today - or are you now tied to the new one???

If the latter, who's to say they won't change it again at a later date??

Probably not just exclusive to Google Chrome if EULA's can be changed so easily....

Counsel for Google Chrome, wrote: “In order to keep things simple for our users, we try to use the same set of legal terms (our Universal Terms of Service) for many of our products. Sometimes, as in the case of Google Chrome, this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don’t apply well to the use of that product. We are working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome.”

Just downloaded it, first impression - good. Sleek interface, no clutter as was present in IE but the spell checker is a wee bit annoying, especially if you're using CSS to build a new MySpace and you have whole passages of code with red lines underneath them...

I'll give it a try for a couple more days, I didn't like Firefox so it'll be interesting to see how this compares to both Firefox and IE.