Chinese F1 Grand Prix

Pancake

Hamilton took P1 in FP1; but normal service was resumed in FP2 with Button taking top spot with Rosberg second:

FP1:

FP1_China.jpg

FP2 Result:

FP2_China_BBC.jpg

BBC Schedule for Sat and Sun:

Saturday 18 April

Third practice: 0355-0505, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Qualifying: 0600-0815, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Re-run: 1300-1415, BBC One

Qualifying loop: 1800-0200, BBC Red Button (Not available on Freeview)

Sunday 19 April

Race: 0700-1000, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online

Interactive Forum: 1000-1100, BBC Red Button/online

Race re-run: 1305-1505, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online

Race re-run looped: 1300-2100, BBC Red Button (Not available on Freeview)

Highlights: 1900-2000 and 0110-0210, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online

Highlights looped: 1000-2100 Monday, BBC Red Button (Not available on Freeview)

Ponty mentioned that we might see a better time from the Renaults come FP3?

Ponty mentioned that we might see a better time from the Renaults come FP3?

Big emphasis on "might". I wouldn't worry too much about today's times for FA either. He'll have had to concentrate on the race setup on the standard floor/diffuser in case the new one is cr*p tomorrow. He won't have the usual FP3 on the standard floor so we've foregone qualifying practice, which many teams did today - bringing their laptimes down.

Flavio Briatore has lost the plot...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/apr/17/jenson-button-briatore-concrete-post

Fernando Alonso of Renault, twice the world champion, has four points. Button has 15 and his veteran team-mate Rubens Barrichello is second in the championship with 10. "Our [Ferrari, McLaren and Renault] drivers are, or have been, world champions, and then you have a driver [brawn's Barrichello] who was almost retired, and another who is a paracarro, fighting for the championship," Briatore told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I don't know how we can say we have credibility.

"It is impossible to recover the ground we have lost on those teams," Briatore added. "In three or four races the championship will be decided and I don't know what the interest of the TV viewers will be when Button has 60 points and [the *Williams driver Kazuki] Nakajima 50. It will be better to listen only on radio and watch something else."

His comments about viewer interest show that he doesn't have a clue. I think most people I have spoken to about this year's championship are very happy about the fact that the usual suspects are not running away with the title and that it's the most interesting championship in years.

Sorry Flav, you're off your trolley mate.

Just out of interest Ponty, does Nando have enough fuel to complete the formation lap? ;)
he is the lightest on the grid and Nelson is the heaviest. I believe the soft tyres don't work on the car at all so Nando is going for a very short first stint on them and Nelson a very short second or final stint. Take into consideration that Nando only got in 3 laps in free practice with the new floor and diffuser and that 2nd place looks very impressive, regardless of fuel loads.

Flavio Briatore has lost the plot...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/apr/17/jenson-button-briatore-concrete-post

His comments about viewer interest show that he doesn't have a clue. I think most people I have spoken to about this year's championship are very happy about the fact that the usual suspects are not running away with the title and that it's the most interesting championship in years.

Sorry Flav, you're off your trolley mate.

Exactly. He has no idea of the British mentality, and that is, cheer on the underdog, and have the big boys get a little lesson in how to lose.

EDIT: And of course, he's right in one way. Button IS in a competitive car at last, which is why he's making good use of it. Are great drivers meant to get out of their slow cars and push them to victory or something..? Even the fastest driver in the slowest car will get nowhere. To my mind, some of the fastest considered drivers ever, had their reputations hugely enhanced because they just happened to be in the very best car, most of the time.

Edited by St Landrew

Quite interesting race. Most interesting because the established front runners from the year dot were still fighting for the minor places. Wet once again, and BrawnGP were finally caught out with their lack of wet testing experience. I heard that Brawn settled for a conservative setup. That might seem rather odd, but Button is still 6 points ahead in the WC. But I wonder if they'll regret having only half points last time out when the final race is run.

Well done Red Bull and Vettel and Webber. No double diffuser and great downforce.

So 3 races in, and I think we can comment on the Beeb's performance. Tbh, they've taken up the reins quite professionally. The Jonathan Ledgard/Martin Brundle combo is better than the James Allen/Brundle combo, but Ledgard needs to remember sometimes that he's now commentating on TV and not the Radio. WE CAN SEE..!

Whilst on the subject of commentary, I have to say I wasn't overly impressed today - lots of poor observation and lagging behind.

I know we had some pretty poor visibility today, but we could generally tell who was who and where they were, confusion reigned supreme several times between JL and MB and it was reflected in the commentary, which was disappointing.

Disappointing tbh. The rain bollixed our strategy and just when Fernando looked to have dragged it back into contention he had his moment of the day. Nelson was like Bambi on ice. Have to say, it was a surprise to see the tip of the nose removed by the polystyrene marker.

Disappointing tbh. The rain bollixed our strategy and just when Fernando looked to have dragged it back into contention he had his moment of the day. Nelson was like Bambi on ice. Have to say, it was a surprise to see the tip of the nose removed by the polystyrene marker.

I was a bit intrigued by the that too. I could understand the wing being knocked off or a suspension being broked, but for the front of the nose to peel off like that was weird.

Delighted for Red Bull though, and I think I have finally found a German driver I like... make that a German I like. Been waiting for this since Jaguar took over in 2000. Long time coming.

Gutted for Sutil (again, remember Monaco last year), but pleased for Buemi. Have to say though, I think Bourdais, Nakajima and Nelsinho are carp. Jenson should be pretty pleased though. Wet races are always a banana skin for the front runners, and he only dropped points to the Red Bulls, who Brawn still have the edge on in the dry IMO.

Massive ROFLMAO at Ferrari too. :lol:

I love Ferrari at the moment. Brilliant, just brilliant. The fact that they're desperately scrambling around to to try to improve is just so funny.

They don't even appear to have any proper plans in place for development this season, it's going to take them ages to sort out a replacement floor/diffuser, and the staff don't seem to know whether they're coming or going.

Long may it continue. :-)