Swedish football season update..

Week 3 into the new Swedish season (April to November) and .. a few familiar names especially for those fans who travelled here for the summer tours in " the Strachan Era" ....a good start for the now already legendary, Stockholm-based " Academy side " Brommapojkarna (BP).. (not ALL under 20 admitedly, though they have good youngsters.) BP made a great start with

2 wins but suffered a controversial defeat 2-3 v. (3rd place AIK - Stockholms top side) who scored in the 92nd min.

Table toppers are ; Malmo... and Helsingborg (incl. the incredibly-fit 37 year old HENRIK LARSSON (ex Celtic /Barcelona)HENKE " is scoring again, and can still expect to get a spot in the international side.

Halmstad are fielding ex Saints Academy lad TIM SPARV in their midfield.

Hero of the day was Elfsborg's ANDERS SVENSSON who scored from a Beckham-esque free kick in the last minute v. Gefle

to win 2-1, whilst last years title-winners Kalmar, are having a nightmare start with only 2 draws in their first 4 games and sitting near the bottom.

Another good win (3-0 v. Häcken) for former Sheff. Wed./ Coventry favourite ROLAND NILSSON, now coach for GAIS (from Gothenburg).

Last seasons goals from (one time Saints target) MARCUS ALLBÄCK, now 35, got Örgryte promoted - but they have had a disasterous start and are bottom without a single point and soon to face goal-happy Gothenburg who scored 5 in their last home game.

Edited by david in sweden

Watched AIK v Malmo at the weekend, my first full 90 mins of televised swedish football... reminded me of league 1 level, or is that a bit harsh?

I'm not very familiar with League One (I might be soon though) but the level is quite bad. That said, there are some good players out there that could easily make it at higher level. AIK's striker for instance, Ivan Obolo, is rated amongst the best players in the country and would easily succeed at a higher level.

David, I'm going to Sweden in late July/early August and hope to see at least 2 games. I notice that Helsingborg, Malmo FF, Trelleborg, GAIS and Gothenburg are at home at different times whilst I'm there. Anywhere you'd recommend or recommend to avoid?

I saw Kalmar v AIK last summer and really enjoyed it. I thought at least one of the Elm Brothers (Rasmus, I think) CHDAJFU. Don't know if he's still there?

David, I'm going to Sweden in late July/early August and hope to see at least 2 games. I notice that Helsingborg, Malmo FF, Trelleborg, GAIS and Gothenburg are at home at different times whilst I'm there. Anywhere you'd recommend or recommend to avoid?

I saw Kalmar v AIK last summer and really enjoyed it. I thought at least one of the Elm Brothers (Rasmus, I think) CHDAJFU. Don't know if he's still there?

I would recommend going to see Malmö FF and their spanking new stadium!

Kalmar are winless so far and were boo'ed off yesterday .

I'm off to see my local team ( IFK Hässleholm) at home to Djurgården on sunday, hoping for a giant killing :)

Well...... Helsingborg and Gothenburg always seem to be attractive sides,

but so too are Malmö (in their new arena). Trelleborg are not such great side (historically speaking) and GAIS are a bit so-so. Nice entertainment when they have a "good day".

Best thing is probably to take a look at the league table and fixture list in mid july before deciding where to go.

• 1 month later...

The G.A.I.S manager Alexander axen is u huge saints fan apparently ,here's an interview in swedish with him. I will translate the saints bits.

Vilka lag har du sett på plats?

- Jag har varit ett hundratal gånger i England och sett matcher. Flest gånger har jag sett Southampton som är mitt favoritlag. Jag gillar också att åka till Loftus Road och se Q.P.R. spela. Där är det alltid skön stämning och man kan till och med sitta med bortasupportrarna. Sen gillar jag lag i de lägre divisionerna. Jag har en kompis som spelade i Bournemouth. Bristol City har jag sett ett par gånger och även Wycombe Wanderers när de var ett amatörlag.

Say's he's been hundreds of times to england to watch football and says saints are his team.

Varför hejar du på Southampton?

- När Kevin Keegan kom hem till England från Hamburg 1978 var jag i en ganska påverkningsbar ålder och då valde han Southampton. Han var min idol och då blev Southampton mitt lag. Nu har de ju ramlat ur The Championship och jag vet inte ens om de överlever. Det känns jädra tråkigt.

say's he has supported saints since keegan signed for us as keegan was gis idol.

says we have been relagated from the championship and he doesn't know if we will survive, it feels horrible.

Vem är din favoritspelare i England?

- Matthew Le Tissier. En legend för oss Southamptonfans. Han gjorde fantastiska mål och kunde säsong efter säsong bära sitt lag. Dessutom var han så otroligt lojal. Han älskade verkligen Southampton. Såna spelare finns inte längre.

Says matty is his favourite player in england , a legend to us saints fans.

He scored fantastic goals and carried the team season after season, furthermore he was unbelievably loyal, he loved southampton, there are no players like that anymore

Vad har du för relation till Tipsextra?

- Tipsextra-sändningarna var ju absolut världsklass! Jag har aldrig sett något bättre i mitt liv. På lördagarna kunde man bara gå runt på stan och vänta på att Tipsextra skulle börja. Jag överdriver inte när jag säger att man levde för lördagarna.

Nothing here about saints

Vilket är ditt bästa Premier League-minne?

- Många. Men det får väl bli säsongen när Southampton kom åtta i ligan och de förlorade mot Arsenal i cupen. Men det är så länge sen att jag knappt kommer ihåg det.

Say's his best memory of the premier league was when saints finished 8th and lost the cup final, but it was so long ago he hardly remembers it.

Hmmmm, I wonder if he posts here. :D

Btw, Gefle is not doing to badly in the Allsvenskan. Its a shame they lost their last match before the seasonbreak, otherwise they would have been in fourth spot!

I've done some looking into it, and I am led to believe that his username is norwaysaint. Never noticed the guy before though. I guess he's trying to throw us off the scent with his name.

• 2 weeks later...
was thinking of going over to stockholm for a weekend and catch a premier league match over there, probably watch AIK.

any advice or tips dave in sweden?

don't rush off just now! .......the U-21 Championships on are and only local league games are being played. July is the only " reliable" month for good summer weather and everyone makes the best of it. So not much of anything.

I'm not sure when they re-start Allsvenskan (thats Prem.) fixtures but I'll get back to you on that.

david in sweden

don't rush off just now! .......the U-21 Championships on are and only local league games are being played. July is the only " reliable" month for good summer weather and everyone makes the best of it. So not much of anything.

I'm not sure when they re-start Allsvenskan (thats Prem.) fixtures but I'll get back to you on that.

david in sweden

Nobody with a sense of dignity wants to see a bunch of rats, dressed in black, playing in a concrete bunker in Solna when you can go to the 1912 Olympic Stadium in Stockholm on the 5th July to watch Djurgar'n, the team of the Millennium! OK this season has been less than brilliant, but things are looking up and the Tifo at home is something else. Saints fans ought to learn from it. Log on to http://www.dif.se, there is even an english translation. Sadly it's seldom entirely up to date.

was thinking of going over to stockholm for a weekend and catch a premier league match over there, probably watch AIK.

any advice or tips dave in sweden?

See my reply to David, which really was meant for you. Trust me, you don't want to see that team. It would be like going to Fratton Park, but worse!

• 4 weeks later...

I try to be the best Djurgardens fan i can be but there are no english sites with any form of news on the swedish leagues so i rely on whenever dif.se is updated or you guys on here. How we doing so far? Dahlberg may play as a striker but his stats are awful is he actually a good player?

I try to be the best Djurgardens fan i can be but there are no english sites with any form of news on the swedish leagues so i rely on whenever dif.se is updated or you guys on here. How we doing so far? Dahlberg may play as a striker but his stats are awful is he actually a good player?

You don't want to know ...!

football resumed here last week (after the U21 championships), and Djurgården were slaughtered ..6-1 at Kalmar. Not a pretty sight.

They sit in the relegation play-off spot and things don't look good.

They have one of the worst goals record and have let in 28 in 14 games.

changing their goalie only made it worse.

And Dahlberg has been used in both defence and midfield this season. Djurgårdens are in the middle of some sort of experiment as well. They hired that manager of Umeå IK Ladies after he led them to several championships but so far it is one huge dissaster. I'm quite sure several supporters are longing for the days of Siggi Jónsson again. :D