British Lions

Hatch

Paul O'Connel captain. - Good choice. Should always be a forward IMO.

Squad

Backs

Tommy Bowe, Lee Byrne, Keith Earls, Harry Ellis, Luke Fitzgerald, Riki Flutey, Leigh Halfpenney, Stephen Jones, Rob Kearney, Ugo Monye, Brian O'Driscoll, Ronan O'Gara, Tomas O'Leary, Mike Phillips, Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin, Shane Williams.

Forwards

Stephen Ferris, Jerry Flannery, Jamie Heaslip, Nathan Hines, Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Alun-Wyn Jones, Lee Mears, Euan Murray, Donncha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell (captain), Andy Powell, Alan Quinlan, Matthew Rees, Simon Shaw, Andrew Sheridan, Phil Vickery, David Wallace, Martyn Williams, Joe Worsley.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
From L to R: Graham Rowntree, Dai Young (with the ball), not sure of the number 11 but I'd say Tony Underwood, bald second row at the back is Nigel Redman, next to him is Tony Diprose and on the floor with the headband is Rob Wainwright.

Cheers for that, I owe you a few drinks now.

Just won a free £200 bet on the First test tomorrow with my bookie.

:D

Good team, probably what I would have picked, although might have had Nathan Hines in at lock ahead of Jones.

I don't rate Shane Williams at all, so very glad he is out.

I agreed with the choice of Monye but I do think that Shane Williams would have taken one of the two chances that he missed.

Never thought I'd see a Lions scrum smashed so badly as it was in the first half. Bringing on Jones made things much better and with a solid platform we looked good, especially in the midfield with O'Driscoll and Roberts doing to the Springbok backs what Bismarck and The Beast did to our front row.

An opportunity lost but we have a the Second Test to look forward to and with a few changes in the pack and maybe on the left-wing we have every chance of levelling the series.

I ask myself; can the Boks get better? Maybe a bit but probably not much. Can the Lions improve? Yes, most certainly. Now they need to deliver.

Team for 2nd test:

R Kearney (Leinster and Ireland); T Bowe (Ospreys and Ireland), B O'Driscoll (Leinster and Ireland), J Roberts (Cardiff Blues and Wales), L Fitzgerald (Leinster and Ireland); S Jones (Scarlets and Wales), M Phillips (Ospreys and Wales); G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues and Wales), M Rees (Scarlets and Wales), A Jones (Ospreys and Wales), S Shaw (Wasps and England), P O'Connell (Munster and Ireland, capt), T Croft (Leicester and England), D Wallace (Munster and Ireland), J Heaslip (Leinster and Ireland).

Replacements: R Ford (Edinburgh and Scotland), A Sheridan (Sale Sharks and England), A-W Jones (Ospreys and Wales), M Williams (Cardiff Blues and Wales), H Ellis (Leicester and England), R O'Gara (Munster and Ireland), S Williams (Ospreys and Wales).

Can't believe Hook isn't on the bench, as he offers something different to Jones and O'Gara. Interesting to see how Simon Shaw does, also.

A magnificent match of epic proportions played by two excellent sides. I tbought the first test was one of the best I had ever seen but yesterday's game surpassed it. Losing both props and then both centres was a hammer blow but even then the Lions hung on in there and competed. A huge winning kick by Steyne and so well-done the Boks for the victory.

We now await the decision by the citing committee on Burger and Botha.