PS3 Update problems

Barfy

Over the past couple of days, I've been trying to get the updates for Pain and Killzone installed. Although they download fully, they won't install and instead I just get an error message (code 80029564). I've had a search on the net and found people getting this code but it related to download of demos and not updates.

Anyone else having/had this problem? :(

Ok, so far I have:

1) reinstalled the 2.70 update (not that it needed it).

2) reformatted and re-installed the o/s (3 1/2 hours!!)

3) used the recovery menu to rebuild the file system and database.

and apart from managing to get Worms and Pain working again, I seem to have an expensive, quite nice looking brick under my tv. Anyone got any guesses what Sony might be willing to do if their tech support ever get back to me?

This might help (look at the description rather than the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hEz1Bn3Rg0

It seems the error is when the downloaded file is corrupted - basically I think all you can do is simply keep retrying the download until it works.

I guess you could ask Sony Tech Support to provide you with the file via the web/on a disc which you could then copy over to the PS3 using a memory stick/card. I don't know if they'd do that though, although I can't see any reason why.

In this thread some bloke says it was because his router was overheating and corrupting the download, although I'm not sure how accurate that is! http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=131&message.id=120386

This might help (look at the description rather than the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hEz1Bn3Rg0

It seems the error is when the downloaded file is corrupted - basically I think all you can do is simply keep retrying the download until it works.

I guess you could ask Sony Tech Support to provide you with the file via the web/on a disc which you could then copy over to the PS3 using a memory stick/card. I don't know if they'd do that though, although I can't see any reason why.

In this thread some bloke says it was because his router was overheating and corrupting the download, although I'm not sure how accurate that is! http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=131&message.id=120386

Thanks, there's an interesting comment on the youtube link:

This issue is caused by faulty RAM in the PS3. The XD-Ram is somehow damaged during the build process of the unit, or they have A LOT of bad batches. Either way, when you download anything, it gets corrupted because of bad ram

As the problem is with every download now both game updates and DLC from the Playstation store, I wonder if this might be the problem? If it is, and as the unit is out of warranty, what are the odds of getting support from Sony?

Thanks, there's an interesting comment on the youtube link:

As the problem is with every download now both game updates and DLC from the Playstation store, I wonder if this might be the problem? If it is, and as the unit is out of warranty, what are the odds of getting support from Sony?

I don't know about the RAM issue, but if that is the problem, Sony will be required to provide a replacement under the Sales of Goods Act. The warranty is merely on-top of that. You won't get it for free, but you should get it for less than £100, as you are entitled in law to expect a £400 machine to last more than 18 months or whatever - especially as it's being marketed with a 10-year life cycle!

Hopefully though, it won't come to that.

I'm apparently about half way down the queue for their network gaming experts, does this mean they've got a lot of people with the same problem?

No idea whether they'll get anywhere, but I just spoke to a tech guy at consoles & gadgets http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk and he said they've had a lot of enquiries in the past few weeks since the 2.70 firmware update has been released. He reckoned it should be repairable for £90 - £120.

Out of interest, has anyone got a PS3 60GB premium version bought around September-October 2007?

Out of interest, has anyone got a PS3 60GB premium version bought around September-October 2007?

Yep! But I'm not suffering from the same problem (touch wood!).

If there's been lots of issues since a firmware update, surely Sony could simply sort that out with a new update, rather than you having to pay for it to be repaired?

Yep! But I'm not suffering from the same problem (touch wood!).

If there's been lots of issues since a firmware update, surely Sony could simply sort that out with a new update, rather than you having to pay for it to be repaired?

This is what I would have thought, but the error message hasn't even got a real definition, and no-one I've spoken to at Sony has mentioned possible fixes. Though they're probably not even willing to admit there is a problem!

I suppose the one silver lining to this is that I do manage to get some more constructive things done in the evening at the moment, but I miss Killzone :(

In case anyone does suffer from a similar problem, after countless emails to and from Sony telling me to open various ports on my router, I gave up and just put the PS3 in the DMZ and have since been able to redownload a couple of games and update some others without any install failures.

I don't know if this was caused by the 2.70 firmware update, but I've certainly not changed any network settings since last year, so...

What router do you have? I didn't change any settings on my router a few months ago but suddenly I couldn't stay online long enough to play a round of COD. Basically the router just gave up the ghost, but it was only on the PS3 where the connection being dropped was an obvious problem.

It could just be that it's only when you've been downloading stuff on the PS3 that the router has rebooted itself or something.

What router do you have? I didn't change any settings on my router a few months ago but suddenly I couldn't stay online long enough to play a round of COD. Basically the router just gave up the ghost, but it was only on the PS3 where the connection being dropped was an obvious problem.

It could just be that it's only when you've been downloading stuff on the PS3 that the router has rebooted itself or something.

I've got a 3Com router, probably 3 or 4 years old now, and I've never had any problems with it. Up until a few weeks ago, I'd never really noticed any problems with the PS3 either, the odd issue with my ISP but that's another matter altogether.

It just seems a bit too much of a coincidence that the problems started at the same time as the firmware upgrade. to be honest though, if it is working now, I'll just be glad not to have to pay out for repairs/replacements!