Rogue restaurants

OldNick

The problem for EHOs is that there are something in the region of 1000-2000 food premises in any largish authority - that's a lot to inspect. Given that these guys also have to deal with food complaints / poisonings, you can see that they would be stretched to pick up everything.

The introduction of 'Scores on the Doors' should hopefully give some of these restaurants / takeaways a good kick up the backside, as none of them are going to want negative publicity.

Check this out if you haven't seen it: http://www.safe2eat.com/

The problem for EHOs is that there are something in the region of 1000-2000 food premises in any largish authority - that's a lot to inspect. Given that these guys also have to deal with food complaints / poisonings, you can see that they would be stretched to pick up everything.

The introduction of 'Scores on the Doors' should hopefully give some of these restaurants / takeaways a good kick up the backside, as none of them are going to want negative publicity.

Check this out if you haven't seen it: http://www.safe2eat.com/

Woot I've got 5 stars :D

Oh, and Environmental Health visits are not announced - only re-visits get announced.

Trouble is, environmental health is provided by local councils and the departments tend to be under-resourced.

People don't want to pay more in council tax to fund it.

I've watched most of this series and I'm far more reluctant to eat out these days :(

BTF, underfunding is no excuse and is always the first thing these people hide behind. Health inspectors must have visited and any of us would see the dirty toilets next to the worksurfaces etc.

The impression I get is that a lot of these people just go through the motions and dont do their job properly.

A great friend works in the Vat office and I have often moaned at him about the un restistered traders, and he said look at it from the officers side.If given the choice would you choose to visit the soft law abiding business where you are offered a warm office and tea and coffee or go down a track to a farmbuilding to confront non vat registered panel beaters. I like 99% of people would take the soft option.I suggest that is the case with the health people.Go and visit the friendly easy to prosecute without having the race relations issue thrown up.

BTF, underfunding is no excuse and is always the first thing these people hide behind. Health inspectors must have visited and any of us would see the dirty toilets next to the worksurfaces etc.

The impression I get is that a lot of these people just go through the motions and dont do their job properly.

A great friend works in the Vat office and I have often moaned at him about the un restistered traders, and he said look at it from the officers side.If given the choice would you choose to visit the soft law abiding business where you are offered a warm office and tea and coffee or go down a track to a farmbuilding to confront non vat registered panel beaters. I like 99% of people would take the soft option.I suggest that is the case with the health people.Go and visit the friendly easy to prosecute without having the race relations issue thrown up.

I take your last point absolutely Nick. But I do know that EH is seriously under-resourced. It's not just mucky restaurants they have to look at.

Absolutely not true in all authorities. All food premises are inspected initially, and high risk premises are visited far more often than those classed as low risk. For example, a pub serving just packaged crisps would likely be visited once every couple of years, while a higher risk premises such as a sushi restaurant would be visited every six months, depending on their last score. If, for example, a kebab shop is inspected and comes up very poor, if it's not shut down immediately, then it will be inspected soon after on a date agreed with the owner, and an improvement will be demanded.

Each premises is scored on a hazard and compliance basis, as set by the FSA (http://www.food.gov.uk), and the final scores will go some way to determine when the next visit is scheduled. Now that a score is published on the Internet, these rogue restaurants know they need to pull their socks up or they'll lose business.

HTH

Had to laugh at one of the officers comments that they have to be culturally aware as different cultures do things diffferent ways and have certain beliefs at how food should be cooked or conflicting values on food hygiene.

So, if they are filthy bastards is that ok then as long as the way they prepare their food is paying full respect to their cultural beliefs?

It's either hygeniec or it isn't? I fail to see what religion has to do with it.

That's fine I suppose, but they should then have a sign up outside the restaurant advising customers that the food and hygiene standards fall below what would be accepted by normal standards, but the restaurant are following their religious beliefs.

I can then make a conscious choice to still go there or go somewhere who have a higher commitment to hygiene and public health but a lower commitment to their cultural values.

They should make it law that all establishments selling food must provide a tour of their kitchen on request to customers.

LOL

Can you imagine the paperwork?

There needs to be risk assessments done on all equipment and practices in the kitchen as it is, to protect and keep staff safe.

Then there's the training and development of staff to allow their safe passage in the kitchen.

How are you going to ensure all this is carried out before a customer enters the kitchen?

Not only that, but so much time would be spent giving guided tours of the kitchen that no food would actually be cooked :rolleyes: