Boxing - Pacman V Hatton, Froch V Taylor

revolution saint

Firstly, congratulations to Froch on beating Taylor. Good fight by all accounts and a dramatic conclusion. Shame no domestic channel thought it good enough to buy the rights for. Setanta you mugs! I only subscribe for the boxing and you let that one slip.

Secondly as it's only a week till Pacman against Hatton...any thoughts? Personally I think Pac will get a points decision over Hatton. For me Hatton hasn't looked good for some time and beating Malinaggi isn't the greatest achievement in the world although he did show signs of improving. I'm not sure Hatton's at his most effective when he tries to box and he still seems a bit vulnerable. Pac will throw a lot and likes the mexican "come forward" style so the big question is can he handle Hatton's power? I don't think we can take much from the DLH fight so it's still up for debate. Not sure Hatton's power has been that effective at the top level for a while though. I don't think we'll get a KO but who knows?

Always thought Froch was all mouth and no trousers but it seems he's prepared to back up that undeniably large gob of his. I Think Taylors heart is no longer in it though and he's been less than convincing since he fought Cory Spinks, a fight which I felt he lost... still beating him was no easy feet and he's done just that.

Moving on and I am betting, and in truth hoping, that Pacman beats Hatton. It's nothing against Hatton and I like him. I was rooting for him against Mayweather but in the interest of seeing the previous P4P vs the current P4P go at it (which if Hatton wins I think is less likely) then I hope and expect Pacman to have too much for him. He's a big hitter because of his technique not his size and weight and at the end of the day he is just faster and busier than Hatton.

Hatton for me, allot of peeps are deluded after what they saw against a fast fading star The golden Boy. Pacman is quick But Ricky boy has not ****ed it all up the wall before training for this one, He will be to strong and will tag pacman by the 8th.

Always thought Froch was all mouth and no trousers but it seems he's prepared to back up that undeniably large gob of his. I Think Taylors heart is no longer in it though and he's been less than convincing since he fought Cory Spinks, a fight which I felt he lost... still beating him was no easy feet and he's done just that.

Moving on and I am betting, and in truth hoping, that Pacman beats Hatton. It's nothing against Hatton and I like him. I was rooting for him against Mayweather but in the interest of seeing the previous P4P vs the current P4P go at it (which if Hatton wins I think is less likely) then I hope and expect Pacman to have too much for him. He's a big hitter because of his technique not his size and weight and at the end of the day he is just faster and busier than Hatton.

I don't understand this, you say you like Hatton and have nothing against him but you want him to lose :confused: I want Hatton to win but whether he will is a different story. Let's hope he does.

I don't understand this, you say you like Hatton and have nothing against him but you want him to lose :confused: I want Hatton to win but whether he will is a different story. Let's hope he does.

Think it's more to do with wanting to see the best genuine P4P boxer win, at least that's my interpretation. Personally I'd love to see Hatton roll back the years and really get stuck into Pacman. I'm not sure it's the best way to beat him but I think it's the best way for hatton to beat him (if that makes sense?). Personally I'm still not convinced about Pacman at 140, he beat an old, weight drained (and in fact lighter boxer) in DLH, so Hatton has everything to go for. He's going to have to close pacman down quick, restrict his movement and dominate the ring though. If he can get in close and do what he didn't do against PBF then he's got a chance.

Let's face it though this is what the yanks call a "pick 'em" and I wouldn't be confident calling it either way. I'd fancy Hatton's chances more than I would Haye in June though.

Pacquiaho (or however the f*ck you spell it) will prove too much for Hatton I think. Ricky doesn't really have the stamina anymore he used to, whereas Pacman is so bloody quick, and he can go for ages at a mind-blowingly fast pace. But Hatton still has the power, so maybe if he can land some sucker punches early on he can finish him off.

Still, i'm going to go for Pacman. When did Ricky say he was retiring again?

I thought it was fairly obvious what I was saying but I'll try again.

Personally I like Hatton. As a boxer I like Hatton, typical English brawler, though technically not sound. If it were anyone other than Pacquaio (or Cotto - I'd be neutral for this as I love watching Cotto box) I would be cheering on Hatton. However I like seeing the biggest boxers in the world fight. Back in the day when Benn and Eubank would go at it without a second thought. When Tyson would take on anyone without a care as a 19 year old crushing machine. When Ali made a mockery off all that stepped before him. Before all boxers were interested in were the '0's' on their record (days which I am glad to say are slowly returning). And for me the most mouth watering fight out there would be Pacquaio vs Mayweather Jr. (has to be at 140 - junior welter). BUT if Hatton wins then this fight would be pointless, as having crushed Hatton at 140lbs, Mayweathers decision to retire and probably then stay retired will remain vindicated. As such I will be cheering for Pacquaio.

As an aside Pavlik to take on Mora in June.....MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA funny stuff.

I thought it was fairly obvious what I was saying but I'll try again.

Personally I like Hatton. As a boxer I like Hatton, typical English brawler, though technically not sound. If it were anyone other than Pacquaio (or Cotto - I'd be neutral for this as I love watching Cotto box) I would be cheering on Hatton. However I like seeing the biggest boxers in the world fight. Back in the day when Benn and Eubank would go at it without a second thought. When Tyson would take on anyone without a care as a 19 year old crushing machine. When Ali made a mockery off all that stepped before him. Before all boxers were interested in were the '0's' on their record (days which I am glad to say are slowly returning). And for me the most mouth watering fight out there would be Pacquaio vs Mayweather Jr. (has to be at 140 - junior welter). BUT if Hatton wins then this fight would be pointless, as having crushed Hatton at 140lbs, Mayweathers decision to retire and probably then stay retired will remain vindicated. As such I will be cheering for Pacquaio.

As an aside Pavlik to take on Mora in June.....MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA funny stuff.

I also like the best in sportsmen/woman but I always (and will continue to do so) support the brits and we have had some wonderful world champions at all sports. Hatton has a chance and if he wins it won't be pointless as you put but more to the point he got the better of the one you support over 12 rounds (or less if a ko/tko). Carry on cheering for Pacquaio, I will be cheering for Hatton.

I also like the best in sportsmen/woman but I always (and will continue to do so) support the brits and we have had some wonderful world champions at all sports. Hatton has a chance and if he wins it won't be pointless as you put but more to the point he got the better of the one you support over 12 rounds (or less if a ko/tko). Carry on cheering for Pacquaio, I will be cheering for Hatton.

I would love Hatton to win. If he shows a good improvement technically he really has a chance then I would like to see him take on Floyd again.

OK you sound as though you've taken offence with something somewhere and also seem to be having trouble reading what I have typed. I didn't say the fight would be pointless (Hatton v Pacman) I said if Hatton beats Pacman (which, thanks, I am aware he has more than a chance at) then the Mayweather v Pacman fight would be pointless. It would prove nothing for them to arrange a bout, Mayweather would stay retired and in the interest of the sport itself that would be a shame...hence I am cheering for Pacman. I feel no unconditional sense of patriotism where most sports are concerned preferring to concentrate on those that bring something else to the game...

I would like to see him take on Floyd again.

Would be a disaster for Hatton and for boxing. Won't happen thankfully.

Hatton will be up against it with Pacquiao's speed but as Manny comes forward Hatton will be able box on the inside as he likes to, which he wasn't allowed to do against Mayweather. I think Hatton will be too powerful for Pacquiao, especially considering it's at light-welterweight which is Rickys natural division.

Hope i'm wrong but i think Hatton will be stopped early in the fight.

Quite unlikely IMO. Out of Pacquiao's last 10 fights, only 2 have finished before the 8th round - (one of those being a third round knock out of Morales in Pacquiao v Morales III, which proved to be Morales penultimate fight before retiring as he was past it) and as Hatton is the strongest/biggest fighter Pacquiao has faced it'd be very surprising if Manny ended it early.

Would be a disaster for Hatton and for boxing. Won't happen thankfully.

Hatton will be up against it with Pacquiao's speed but as Manny comes forward Hatton will be able box on the inside as he likes to, which he wasn't allowed to do against Mayweather. I think Hatton will be too powerful for Pacquiao, especially considering it's at light-welterweight which is Rickys natural division.

That is the single biggest thing Ricky has a clear advantage compared to Pacquiao. Technical ability, speed, lateral movement he loses outright but he's a puncher and a half at Light-welter. For this reason I find this fight harder to call than most.

The inside work will be crucial - I haven't seen enough of it in recent fights from Hatton. He used to be devastating on the inside but seems to want to box much more now. Against PBF he actually got beaten up on the inside, forget the ref, Hatton just didn't compete there. Maybe that was the weight issue though.

The only nagging thing in my head is that Roach is an excellent trainer - I'd rate him above Mayweather Snr f'sure. If he can get Manny to stick to a gameplan then I'd rate Manny's chances.

I'd be suprised if it was over in three though (as Roach suggests) but then if we got another Hagler V Hearns three rounds then I won't complain.

The inside work will be crucial - I haven't seen enough of it in recent fights from Hatton. He used to be devastating on the inside but seems to want to box much more now. Against PBF he actually got beaten up on the inside, forget the ref, Hatton just didn't compete there. Maybe that was the weight issue though.

The only nagging thing in my head is that Roach is an excellent trainer - I'd rate him above Mayweather Snr f'sure. If he can get Manny to stick to a gameplan then I'd rate Manny's chances.

I'd be suprised if it was over in three though (as Roach suggests) but then if we got another Hagler V Hearns three rounds then I won't complain.

What about when it comes to poetry?

I think I saw 'Atton and his small entourage jogging around Sunset park the other day from my car.

Watching the rumble at a Filipino mate's house. Should be fun.

Shedloads of Brits wandering around Las Vegas already (like it was vs Mayweather), but the shows of support for Pacman is astounding (even here). He is a national treasure down their way - future President and all that.

Can't wait for this fight. Has the potential to be a classic if the ref doesn't turn out to be a gimp like Ortez or whatever his name was. But he is the ref who did Hatton's fight with Paulie so he knows Hatton's style at least.

Have massive respect for both fighters. Have been fortunate enough to meet Pacman and my general opinion of him was very humble man. A genuine guy who found his calling in life. Very much like Hatton. Won't get these two disrespecting one another or trying to be-little the other. So it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

As for a winner i think that could be either as depends on a lot. At some point Pac will be hit with a body shot. he won't be able to go 12 rounds without that happening. Hatton is the biggest and strongest guy he has fought and in terms of body shoters Ricky is probably the most devastating. If he can take that shot and be alright then Pacman will win. He has the speed and agility. He will look to box rather then get in a war. The question then becomes how will Hatton deal with taking a lot of punches and giving little back. Many people have fought Manny and lost interest around the 8th round when they been hit about 100 times in the head and landed nothing back. I have a feeling this could be another one of those fights.

So as much as i would love to see Hatton win i just think his only chance is to knockout Pacman. The problem is getting close enough to do that. In Mayweather Snr he has a trainer who will help him with his defence, possibly the best defensive coach alive. But in Roach Manny has a true genius tactitian.

So for Hatton to win i think he has to gamble and try and get close to him. That means taking a lot of punches in the process. If he lands with a few body shots and his brutal uppercut then that will be it for Manny.

But i can't see it going that way. I think it will be Manny on his toes jabbing then retreating like he has done time and time again. So i see this going to points and Pacman winning by a fair bit.

Can't wait for this fight. Has the potential to be a classic if the ref doesn't turn out to be a gimp like Ortez or whatever his name was. But he is the ref who did Hatton's fight with Paulie so he knows Hatton's style at least.

Have massive respect for both fighters. Have been fortunate enough to meet Pacman and my general opinion of him was very humble man. A genuine guy who found his calling in life. Very much like Hatton. Won't get these two disrespecting one another or trying to be-little the other. So it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

As for a winner i think that could be either as depends on a lot. At some point Pac will be hit with a body shot. he won't be able to go 12 rounds without that happening. Hatton is the biggest and strongest guy he has fought and in terms of body shoters Ricky is probably the most devastating. If he can take that shot and be alright then Pacman will win. He has the speed and agility. He will look to box rather then get in a war. The question then becomes how will Hatton deal with taking a lot of punches and giving little back. Many people have fought Manny and lost interest around the 8th round when they been hit about 100 times in the head and landed nothing back. I have a feeling this could be another one of those fights.

So as much as i would love to see Hatton win i just think his only chance is to knockout Pacman. The problem is getting close enough to do that. In Mayweather Snr he has a trainer who will help him with his defence, possibly the best defensive coach alive. But in Roach Manny has a true genius tactitian.

So for Hatton to win i think he has to gamble and try and get close to him. That means taking a lot of punches in the process. If he lands with a few body shots and his brutal uppercut then that will be it for Manny.

But i can't see it going that way. I think it will be Manny on his toes jabbing then retreating like he has done time and time again. So i see this going to points and Pacman winning by a fair bit.

Yes, that's my feeling too and add in that Ricky looks really, really weight drained and the supposed trouble in the camp with Mayweather Snr then it doesn't look good for Ricky. I really feel that the Hatton that beat Kostya Tzstu (sp?) would beat Manny but now? I'd love it but Roach isn't stupid and they'll just box their way out of trouble.

I'm thinking that Ricky Hatton should never box again[and hoping]

He was humiliated last night and as much as I love the guy I don't want to see him hurt or become a laughing stock. He was exposed for the world to see again last night and I just hope he calls it a day as he clearly is no longer good enough to take on the 'A' list of boxing.

He'll always be a legend in my eyes and that's how I want to remember him and not for a 'has been' desperately looking for one more big shot.

Quite unlikely IMO. Out of Pacquiao's last 10 fights, only 2 have finished before the 8th round - (one of those being a third round knock out of Morales in Pacquiao v Morales III, which proved to be Morales penultimate fight before retiring as he was past it) and as Hatton is the strongest/biggest fighter Pacquiao has faced it'd be very surprising if Manny ended it early.

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hatton should retire now - there's nothing left for him to achieve (that he's capable of). He's a good fighter but not a great one and that should be good enough for him. He reminds me of Arturo Gatti - excellent entertainment and a real scrapper but lacked that bit of boxing class. In fact Hatton is very similar to his hero, Roberto Duran, in that respect.

The only thing likely on the horizon is a meeting with Amir Khan (if he beats Kotelnik) but that would be a mistake. What would it prove if he won? Nothing because the doubts are still there over the class of Khan. If Khan won then equally people would just say he beat up a shadow of the fighter Hatton once was. Mind you, it'll sell tickets and ultimately that's all boxing seems to be about.

Oh, congratulations to Manny. No complaints here - he won fair and square and even if Hatton boxed more cleverly I don't believe he'd ever have won.

As for Mayweather Vs Manny? Would be a good fight. Mayweather isn't stupid though and if it was made then it would be on his terms. That means it would probably be at welterweight - not great for Manny. I also think that if Mayweather has the same form he showed against Hatton then he'd beat Manny.

Agree with you 100% revolution saint. Ricky should retire now. He has been a good servant for english sport but he is just not at that superfight level. His two fights at that level have been nothing but a severe beating. He has owned the ring at his weight for so long but everything must come to an end.

The guys at the top are pure fighters designed to hit and not be hit. The old guard of the Hatton style just can't compete with that. If you allow yourself to be hit your just asking to get brain damage. So i really hope Hatton walks away. He has made so much money he will never have to work ever again. If he keeps going it will be for greed reasons and i think that will damage his legacy and the respect the fans have for him.

Mayweather Marquez will be a great fight. The Marquez Pacman fights were awesome. Whoever wins that fight i hope faces Pacman. Two more super fights would be great!

Agree with you 100% revolution saint. Ricky should retire now. He has been a good servant for english sport but he is just not at that superfight level. His two fights at that level have been nothing but a severe beating. He has owned the ring at his weight for so long but everything must come to an end.

The guys at the top are pure fighters designed to hit and not be hit. The old guard of the Hatton style just can't compete with that. If you allow yourself to be hit your just asking to get brain damage. So i really hope Hatton walks away. He has made so much money he will never have to work ever again. If he keeps going it will be for greed reasons and i think that will damage his legacy and the respect the fans have for him.

Mayweather Marquez will be a great fight. The Marquez Pacman fights were awesome. Whoever wins that fight i hope faces Pacman. Two more super fights would be great!

I remember Ricky beating Kostya Tszyu who was at the time regarded as the best P4P boxer at the time so Ricky can be regarded as one of the best although not the greatest. Agree though it's time for him to retire.

Hatton should retire now - there's nothing left for him to achieve (that he's capable of). He's a good fighter but not a great one and that should be good enough for him. He reminds me of Arturo Gatti - excellent entertainment and a real scrapper but lacked that bit of boxing class. In fact Hatton is very similar to his hero, Roberto Duran, in that respect.

The only thing likely on the horizon is a meeting with Amir Khan (if he beats Kotelnik) but that would be a mistake. What would it prove if he won? Nothing because the doubts are still there over the class of Khan. If Khan won then equally people would just say he beat up a shadow of the fighter Hatton once was. Mind you, it'll sell tickets and ultimately that's all boxing seems to be about.

Oh, congratulations to Manny. No complaints here - he won fair and square and even if Hatton boxed more cleverly I don't believe he'd ever have won.

As for Mayweather Vs Manny? Would be a good fight. Mayweather isn't stupid though and if it was made then it would be on his terms. That means it would probably be at welterweight - not great for Manny. I also think that if Mayweather has the same form he showed against Hatton then he'd beat Manny.

Well that went to the right fighter but only Freddie Roach believed it would be as easy as it was. I maintained that Pacquiao could punch up the weights and thats's exactly what happened. P4P King.

This is a great situation now as Mayweather has to prove his worth against a very dangerous opponent before Pacman has to consider him. The boot is firmly on the other foot I feel. It used to be Mayweather callling the shots on who he could fight but now Pacman can play the waiting game. Marquez is the only one who has given Pacquiao a real problem out of his last few opponents and I think at light-welter weight and lower he'll give Mayweather the same issues (think the fight is at catch weight of 143lb - half way between light welter and welter which may be a bit heavy for Marquez). He's a real nasty, resilient scrapper and it should be a great fight. If Marquez wins then we could see Marquez Pacman III if not it'll be the one I am looking forward too...P4P past vs P4P present....And I'll get my bet in early...Manny to win by knockout.