End of the world nigh?

Saintandy666

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Welcome.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhc#Construction_accidents_and_delays

First time next wednesday, while the proper business starts 21st of october.

The accelerator will be switched on pretty soon, and they hope to recreate the conditions at the start of the big bang and then we can 'unlock the secrets of the universe'. However, in the process of this thousands of little black holes will be created. Now according to a theory, they should fizzle up before they get to any size but there is a small chance they could expand and swallow us all up. Sounds pretty dogey to me, how they can play russian roulette with the planet. But I guess it should technically be alright. So what do you think... good research or unessesary risk?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
On a serious note, is there HONESTLY a chance these black holes could expand?

The best brains in the world, including Stephen Hawking, reckon not.

So cross your fingers...

With all due respect to Stephen Hawking - how the fvck does he know what will happen when they switch this thing on. Has he ever created black holes before? I think not.

Seems to me there are too many unknown unknowns in this situation. It's all very well trying to understand how the world was created, but it will all be pointless if they end up destroying it in the process.

With all due respect to Stephen Hawking - how the fvck does he know what will happen when they switch this thing on. Has he ever created black holes before? I think not.

Seems to me there are too many unknown unknowns in this situation. It's all very well trying to understand how the world was created, but it will all be pointless if they end up destroying it in the process.

This is 100% correct. No-one has the slightest idea what will happen.

If there weren't such progressive thinkers and enquiring minds in the world we'd still be living in caves and worshipping the lightning God or whatever. Look at it this way; if the world does disappear, we had a good innings.

The best brains in the world, including Stephen Hawking, reckon not.

So cross your fingers...

The best brains in the world know that is the right answer to say, after all, if you are wrong, there will be nobody left to point out your mistake.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
The best brains in the world know that is the right answer to say, after all, if you are wrong, there will be nobody left to point out your mistake.

At least we won't know anything about it if it happens.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
If I win the euromillions tonight and the world ends vaporizing all my money, do you think this laboratory will compensate me?

Of course it will.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
To be honest, even if it goes tits up, we ain't gonna know about it.

One minute we'll be here, the next *poof* gone.

And would we all die? I don't know how black holes work. Where would we go?

Ah, well, there you go. Lots of theories of course but no real answers. Maybe a black hole is a connection between two points in the universe or even an inter dimensional rift.

If we're lucky, it could even be the gateway to hell.

event-horizon-1.jpg

Ah, well, there you go. Lots of theories of course but no real answers. Maybe a black hole is a connection between two points in the universe or even an inter dimensional rift.

If we're lucky, it could even be the gateway to hell.

event-horizon-1.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Get them to switch it off, no way we could cope with hell - having to be a sk*te season ticket holder