Prague Speedway Grand Prix - Youngest Ever Winner

miserableoldgit

Speedway

Emil Sajfutdinov becomes youngest ever winner in Speedway Grand Prix

Russian teenager Emil Sajfutdinov announced his arrival on the Grand Prix stage by becoming the youngest ever winner in the opening round in Prague on Saturday.

By Ben Findon

Last Updated: 11:51AM BST 26 Apr 2009

Emil_Sayfutdinov_1391651c.jpg Jubilant: Emil Sayfutdinov celebrates on the podium in Prague after winning the opening round of the Speedway Grand Prix Photo: AP

In another threat to the established order, Swedish outsider Freddie Lindgren, who finished 10th in last year's rankings, was the leading points scorer of the night, though he was outfought by the 19-year-old Russian in the final.

The Grand Prix has been dominated though this decade by Tony Rickardsson, Jason Crump and reigning world champion Nicki Pedersen and organisers have yearned for a more youthful challenge to add some much needed freshness and unpredictability to the rostrum.

Now, it appears, the grand prix establishment have a true battle on their hands to maintain domination, while promoters suddenly have an exciting new product to promote at events such as the British Grand Prix in June.

Sajfutdinov has the pedigree and back-up to maintain a serious challenge in the gruelling campaign ahead. He has won the world under-21 title for the past two seasons, is widely viewed as Continental Europe's most exciting talent and enjoys the mechanical guidance of Polish guru Tomas Suskiewicz, formerly a key component of Rickardsson's serial world-title winning team.

The Russian's intentions were clear from the start in Prague's Marketa Stadium, where he opened up with a ferocious onslaught on Crump. Though he had to settle for second in that race, and ran a last place next time out, he then swept by Pedersen and Britain's Scott Nicholls for another second place before a heat win and a third gave him the final qualifying place for the semi-finals.

There he picked himself up after a first bend tumble to lead home Leigh Adams and Pedersen, then fended off Lindgren in the final for his historic victory.

Sajfutdinov said: "Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could win my first grand prix. I have dreamt of being a grand prix rider since winning my first world under-21 championship, but not winning a grand prix."

Crump was third but at least had the consolation of arch-rival Pedersen failing to progress from the semi-finals. Yet this year's race could be more than just about the Australian and Danish titans.

Crump said: "I never believed this year's grand prix was just between Nicki and me. There are some terrific youngsters coming through, just look at Emil."

There was a low-key start for the British challenge. Chris Harris and Scott Nicholls both missed out on a place in the semis.

• 1 month later...