The Official 2008 NFL thread

bungle

Well, I didn't bother to stay up for the game last night (damn this not being a student any more and having to get up in the morning crap).

Looking forward to Sunday night and the excitment that comes with the new NFL season. I don't have Sky this year, thinking of getting NFL Gamepass through Yahoo, but might take a chance on seeing what other links appear in Week 1.

It's still tough to look past New England as overwhelming favourites. Hoping the New Orleans Saints will have a better season this year. Really got to make the post-season again.

Bucs :D LOL

The Redskins offense looked pathetic, we should be able to outscore them in week 2, if nothing else.

If Sunday goes in our favour, I really think we can start at least 4-0. Defensive improvement or not. Shockey isn't going to make a Randy Moss-like impact, but he is going to make us something special.

I am long time Steelers man and am looking forward to this year. We've had a solid pre season with three out of four wins. I think the bookies have us varying from 20-1 to 33-1 for the Superbowl. I don't think we will make that this year, but I do think we will have a winning season.

Good luck to everyone for the season.

I am long time Steelers man and am looking forward to this year. We've had a solid pre season with three out of four wins. I think the bookies have us varying from 20-1 to 33-1 for the Superbowl. I don't think we will make that this year, but I do think we will have a winning season.

depends on Willie Parkers health

Here's my predictions this season:

AFC East: New England Patriots

AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South: Indianapolis Colts

AFC West: San Diego Chargers

AFC Wildcards: Jacksonville Jaguars + Houston Texans

NFC East: New York Giants

NFC North: Minnesota Vikings

NFC South: New Orleans Saints

NFC West: Seattle Seahawks

NFC Wildcards: Dallas Cowboys + Carolina Panthers

AFC Championship Game: Colts defeat Chargers

NFC Championship Game: Seahawks defeat Giants

Superbowl XLIII: Colts defeat Seahawks

I realise I'm being a right fanboy prediction my Hawks to win the NFC, but with a Favre-less Packers, and the Cowboys still unable to win a play-off game, there are no great teams in the entire conference. Any of the teams I have making the play-offs are in with a good shout, so why not?

Last night I stuck a few pence on Jacksonville and Cleveland to win the Super Bowl

I love the Browns, but they have looked shyte in Pre-Season. I reckon this year will see them regress to a 8-8 record and no sniff of the playoffs. :(

I would take a winning season for my Dolphins... Damn you Dan Marino!!

I struggle to keep up during the regular season, once the wildcard games kick in I'm hooked again.

The Dolphins are my Missus team. In my twisted mind I just cant get away from viewing them as a team synominous with gridirons UK heyday in the 80's, they were well glamourous then what with David Hasselhoff at Quaterback and Crockett and Tubbs out wide! Recent years have not been so kind to them..... :D:D:D

I too am a Steelers fan... they should have a good season. I hope the NE Pats **** up though. Fed up with them.

They were just talking about Southampton Saints on NFL sunday! Quite funny, they were trying to get Reggie Bush who likes 'Soccer' to say he supported Southampton. He Said summink along the lines of, "maybe, but I aint seen them play yet, when i've seen them then yeah maybe!" It then cut back to the studio and the rest of the commentators started taking the p*ss out of Halling for supporting SFC and suggesting Saints must be desperate for fans etc. FAF! :D

They were just talking about Southampton Saints on NFL sunday! Quite funny, they were trying to get Reggie Bush who likes 'Soccer' to say he supported Southampton. He Said summink along the lines of, "maybe, but I aint seen them play yet, when i've seen them then yeah maybe!" It then cut back to the studio and the rest of the commentators started taking the p*ss out of Halling for supporting SFC and suggesting Saints must be desperate for fans etc. FAF! :D

Your celebrity fans are who exactly? Oh yeah thats right, Fred Dineage and Tommy Boyd!! :D

Your celebrity fans are who exactly? Oh yeah thats right, Fred Dineage and Tommy Boyd!! :D

What about Jason Gillespie Australian Bowler and of course the late, great Anhony *****lla. Anyway don't be so defensive, I was just saying what happened, thought people might want to know, besides you should be pleased, Halling is clearly a knowledgeable Saints fan and i'm sure this wont be the last time that the Saints/Saints US/UK connection crops up over the coming weeks.

:)

What about Jason Gillespie Australian Bowler and of course the late, great Anhony *****lla. Anyway don't be so defensive, I was just saying what happened, thought people might want to know, besides you should be pleased, Halling is clearly a knowledgeable Saints fan and i'm sure this wont be the last time that the Saints/Saints US/UK connection crops up over the coming weeks.

:)

Are you new to the sport? If so, welcome! Whenever Nick Halling interviews NFL players/coaches, he always tries to get a Southampton reference in. This is usually met by much laughter from Kevin Cadle and anyone else in the studio. Still, gets us some extra publicity.

Met Nick at Cardiff City away a couple of seasons ago, and we had a good chat about both Saints, and other NFL stuff.

Anyway, managed to watch the Saints game last night, a nervy win, but a win nonetheless, and that is better than last seasons 0-4 start!

Are you new to the sport? If so, welcome! Whenever Nick Halling interviews NFL players/coaches, he always tries to get a Southampton reference in. This is usually met by much laughter from Kevin Cadle and anyone else in the studio. Still, gets us some extra publicity.

Met Nick at Cardiff City away a couple of seasons ago, and we had a good chat about both Saints, and other NFL stuff.

Anyway, managed to watch the Saints game last night, a nervy win, but a win nonetheless, and that is better than last seasons 0-4 start!

No not new Bungle, though admitedly lapsed for over 14 years (Almost a whole Brett Favre career!). I Started playing as a 14 year old in 1988! Turning out for The Portsmouth Warriors, Bournemouth Bobcats, Bournemouth Rengades and Brighton B52's. Trained at times with Eastleigh Royals, Crawley Raiders, Solent Scorpions and the Farnham Knights. I played firstly as a Center on the OL before moving to Defensive tackle. I was unable to make the transition to Seniors effectively. Too small to be a Good Linesman and too slow to be a Good Linebacker, I got disillusioned going from an Excellent Junior player to a Small and very average Senior, so dropped out the game. The following year, 1993 I started following Pompey home and Away and choose the social aspect of football over American Football. Last Season I started following it again on TV, returning to support the Browns who I had seen in 1989 at Wembley. To be honest I find the NFL really refreshing compared to the predictability of the Premier League and am really looking forward to my 4th trip to Wembley this year to see the Saints taking on the Chargers. :)

Edited by PES

No not new Bungle, though admitedly lapsed for over 14 years (Almost a whole Brett Favre career!). I Started playing as a 14 year old in 1988! Turning out for The Portsmouth Warriors, Bournemouth Bobcats, Bournemouth Rengades and Brighton B52's. Trained at times with Eastleigh Royals, Crawley Raiders, Solent Scorpions and the Farnham Knights. I played firstly as a Center on the OL before moving to Defensive tackle. I was unable to make the transition to Seniors effectively. Too small to be a Good Linesman and too slow to be a Good Linebacker, I got disillusioned going from an Excellent Junior player to a Small and very average Senior, so dropped out the game. The following year, 1993 I started following Pompey home and Away and choose the social aspect of football over American Football. Last Season I started following it again on TV, returning to support the Browns who I had seen in 1989 at Wembley. To be honest I find the NFL really refreshing compared to the predictability of the Premier League and am really looking forward to my 4th trip to Wembley this year to see the Saints taking on the Chargers. :)

Glad to hear you have come back to the sport, then. I played for the Bournemouth Raiders flag team, who I believe had a few ex-Renegades amongst them. I then played at university. I've not played since. Part of me really wants to, but it is a lot of time and a lot of travelling these days. Plus money. Also, the nearest team to me is Bristol, who are quite good and quite professional. I'd rather play for a Div 2 team for a bit more of a laugh.

At uni I played FB/TE for my first year, then moved to Left Guard, where I was undersized, but had a fairly decent technique.

Glad to hear you have come back to the sport, then. I played for the Bournemouth Raiders flag team, who I believe had a few ex-Renegades amongst them. I then played at university. I've not played since. Part of me really wants to, but it is a lot of time and a lot of travelling these days. Plus money. Also, the nearest team to me is Bristol, who are quite good and quite professional. I'd rather play for a Div 2 team for a bit more of a laugh.

At uni I played FB/TE for my first year, then moved to Left Guard, where I was undersized, but had a fairly decent technique.

I actually went to Watch a Farnham Knights game this year, it was against the Bristol Aztecs, they beat the Knights quite convincingly. I'm 34 now and out of shape, I'd like the idea of playing but I think I'd get battered now. I remember how i'd be limping around and aching like hell after every game as an 18 year old so god knows how bad it would be now! Still if your in relatively good shape Bungle I reckon you'd be daft to not go back and have another crack at it. To be honest I think the standard has regressed (Britball) since the late 80's heyday, the sheer amount of people playing back then I guess meant that the pool of athletes actually playing was of a higher standard, players seemed bigger and faster, also the Import players we had back then were just short of NFL standard with most having NFL Experience, The Portsmouth Warriors had 5 Import players alone that had at one time graced NFL or NFL practice squads! On the plus side for the domestic game nowadays I thought the coaching and formations etc seems to of entered another stratosphere! I could not believe the things I was seeing in the Knights v Aztecs game (Bare in mind it had been around 13 years since I'd seen a 'Live' game) When I was playing you rarely had anything other than 2 in the backfield and 2 out wide! the game has changed so much in a short space of time, I'm enjoying catching up! :D

Edited by PES

My dad used to play for Southampton Wolverines back in the day. I always fancied following in his footsteps and getting involved. How easy do you think it would be to start to get involved in the playing side of the game over here?

I'm sure any club would welcome you, clubs are always looking for new recruits, look here for more details:

http://www.getintoamericanfootball.com/

ive been going to chicago for the past 4 years to visit friends and have adopted chicago fire as my "soccer" team but this is my first year taking an interest in American Football.

couldnt tell you a thing about the Bears apart form the fact they are 1 for 1 this season.

GO BEARS!