Kevin Pietersen as England captain - good or bad decision?

Fowllyd

Is Kevin Pietersen the right choice as England captain?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is Kevin Pietersen the right choice as England captain?

• Right choice
    • Wrong choice
    • Don't know

I think another option needs to be added to the poll that says only choice.

Really who else could have taken it. I think that it will be better for the team to have one captain for all the squads and there is no one else suitable.

Cook is clearly going to be captain at some point but I think that it is a little too early for him. Strauss cant be sure of his place in the team so giving it to him is a non starter. Key was being mentioned by some in the media which I thought was very strange. He wasn't given much of a go in the test team but never managed to really cement a place. Making him captain would have been very unfair to players such as Bopara and Shah who must be higher in the pecking order for a place in the batting line up.

I just really hope that KP being in charge doesn't effect his game too much. He is our best batsman and if he lost form with the bat the whole team would really struggle. Its going to be very interesting

Clearly the right decision - those who complain about his ego etc fail to realise that you need and ego and self-confidence etc to be a great captin in any team sport, which is why i suspect that Cook will not be a good captain.

KP can lead from the front and expect the others to give the 110 per cent that he gives. I think we now have a chance of winning the Ashes back.

I'm worried it'll change his batting style. I reckon he'll feel he needs to bat more conservatively which would be a great shame.

Have to say I share the same concern, but I still think he's the right choice. Maybe that's simply because there's no other option that seems realistic, but I also think he'll do a good job as captain. What effect, if any, it has on his batting remains to be seen.

Given that the other options seem to have been Strauss, Flintoff and Rob Key, I don't think there was really any other decision to be made.

While I'd have actually liked Rob Key to have got the job as he's proven himself as a captain and top opening batsman on the county circuit, you can't just bring someone in to captain the side who hasn't played international cricket for a number of years.

You've really got to have someone as captain who's almost undroppable in terms of what they bring to the team ability-wise as well as a good leader. Vaughan was exactly that until he got his knee injury. Since then he's been very inconsistent and I think he's made exactly the right call by standing down now. It gives KP a chance to captain the side in a test match where the team will be under very little pressure because the series is already lost.

Given that the other options seem to have been Strauss, Flintoff and Rob Key, I don't think there was really any other decision to be made.

While I'd have actually liked Rob Key to have got the job as he's proven himself as a captain and top opening batsman on the county circuit, you can't just bring someone in to captain the side who hasn't played international cricket for a number of years.

You've really got to have someone as captain who's almost undroppable in terms of what they bring to the team ability-wise as well as a good leader. Vaughan was exactly that until he got his knee injury. Since then he's been very inconsistent and I think he's made exactly the right call by standing down now. It gives KP a chance to captain the side in a test match where the team will be under very little pressure because the series is already lost.

I don't know about you, Steve, but I'm old enough to remember the four-captain fiasco of 1988 - Chris Cowdrey in particular, who hadn't played international cricket at all if memory serves!